So... what do you think of the full soundtrack?

Jndy

TheFox said:
Wake up dude! The full soundtrack is floating around since at least 4 hours!

That said, even though I heard it only twice so far, I already enjoy it immensely! I'll try to write a review tomorrow :)

That's good to hear. I look forward to your review.

Spriggan Jones

Jndy said:
You people sure are judgmental considering you haven't heard the soundtrack. But I'm sure you have an amazing crystal ball.

The samples online don't really offer much of a picture.

There's actually quite a bit more then samples floating around. Some people have already heard it.

Edit:Fox said it!

gallandro

Wow, I think some people on these boards really don't know much of Williams work outside of Indy, Star Wars, and the occasional Spielberg score.

This score bears little resemblance to the later Star Wars score (some people cited AOTC and ROTS). Williams is back to his 70s/80s full French horn glory. The "Spell of the Skull," outside of the Ark music, sounds like the adventure music he was doing in the 70s for scores like Earthquake and Midway. For his spooky music he goes back to his atonal roots from scores like ET in the early 80s.

And for the individuals who think he's lost something and hasn't written any memorable music recently.... ummm Harry Potter theme, Duel of the Fates, Battle of the Heroes. Jeez...

Yancy

PS the only cue that one could argue sounds more like current Williams music is maybe "Grave Robbers" which uses a lot of precussion.

IndyFan89

The soundtracked is AWSOME!!!

Favorite tracks:

The Adventures of Mutt (This is way better than Shorty's theme)

The Journey to Akator(Altohugh alittle strange)

The Jungle Chase(If you like "Belly of the Steel Beast", "Desert Chase", or "Slave Children" you will love this!)

Finale (Some awsome Main Theme variations)

and of course The Raiders March!

Ah who am i kidding, THEY'RE ALL AWSOME!!!! (y) :whip: :gun: (y) :hat:

Jndy

Really? Last Crusade had some pretty good themes. Anything in this one as memorable as the grail theme/Henry theme?

IndyFan89

Jndy said:
Really? Last Crusade had some pretty good themes. Anything in this one as memorable as the grail theme/Henry theme?

The Adventures of Mutt is probably the most "memorable" in the soundtrack, it really does get stuck in your head!

pitt_norton

Jndy said:

Of course, Crusade had good themes but overall it just lacked the intensity, vibrancy and excitement of Raiders and Temple, which thankfully Crystal Skull has taken it's cue from...

|ZiR|

So!

For those people who still don't have it, I've uploaded the entire OST to YouTube. But as I don't want to bring the wrath of the mighty morphin' modmins down upon myself or this thread, I won't be providing a direct link.

If you're curious, go to youtube and search "BleuEwe" - it's all there.

MattJones

pitt_norton said:
This OST easily has Last Crusade crying in the corner.

I disagree greatly...

Last Crusade, in my mind, is far better than KOTCS, ROTLA, and TOD. Every time I watch that movie and a musical cue stirs... I just get goosebumps.

Best JW score ever in my humble opinion.

|ZiR|

IndyFan89 said:
The Adventures of Mutt is probably the most "memorable" in the soundtrack, it really does get stuck in your head!

I still haven't listened to most of the tracks yet, but Adventures of Mutt is definitely going to be one of my favorites. I didn't like it from the sample on Amazon; I thought it was too similar to Short Round's Theme from ToD.

But I just listened to it in its entirety and I love it.

Can't wait to see the scene this accompanies! (y)

commontone

I've listened to it, just once. I've only listened to one other movie score, separate from the movie, in my life--"Anatomy of a Murder"--and that's because Duke Ellington did the music and I was into him, and jazz in general.

But I still appreciate and always notice the score in films--I was a music major and still am a musician. So it's hard for me to compare this one to anything. My first impression is, it's the closest thing to old-school JW we've had in a long time, excepting a few moments in the SW prequels.

It's not flat-out Tchaikovsky-style Romantic like the other Indy scores could be, apart from Marion's theme. But it's good. It doesn't disappoint me at all, but I'm not blown away. It sounds like it is definitely worthy of an Indy movie, but not really better or worse than the other ones, just different.

There are some really nice moments, esp in the Jungle Chase--high sustained trumpet notes that signal a really dangerous, menacing situation happening in the movie. That part activated the "Spielberg/Williams Magic" part of my brain for the first time in ages.

I like the use of saxophone in Irina's Theme. It reminds me of the sax part in Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition." Very Russian, and pretty Romantic sounding. "The Departure" did kind of remind me of CE3K, but more than that, reminded me of Samuel Barber, clearly a big influence on JW. It has this great ethereal atmosphere, but with forward momentum, like Barber's "Music for a Scene from Shelley." "Mutt's Theme" reminds me of the young Indy music in LC--light and playful, lots of fast moving woodwinds.

And, there's some nice atonal stuff, like the bugs music in ToD. The Continuum instrument is used well; it doesn't sound out of place or forced at all, but adds a nice, uh, "alien" vibe when it's used. The Mariachi music sounds crazy and out of place, though I'm sure it will match well to a Latin village scene. It just sounds like all other mariachi music you've heard; I would have rather JW did some kind of orchestral tango or something, something still orchestral but clearly Latin influenced, like the composers Chabrier or De Falla.

So there's my two cents. Soundtracks aren't my forte but I know music pretty well, and I think it's pretty good.

Last edited:

Jndy

|ZiR| said:
So!

For those people who still don't have it, I've uploaded the entire OST to YouTube. But as I don't want to bring the wrath of the mighty morphin' modmins down upon myself or this thread, I won't be providing a direct link.

If you're curious, go to youtube and search "BleuEwe" - it's all there.

Thank you! Very much appreciated.

TheFox

Ok, my review of the first half of the soundtrack:

01 - Raiders March
Raiders March + Marion's Theme with a good orchestration but nothing new. Probably from the closing credits or maybe not even in the movie. Basically it puts you back in the "right mood" after so many years!

02 - Call of The Crystal
This is the first of the 3 new themes, the Crystal Skull one. Very B-Movie, you can almost picture the little green men hehe. Somehow it has something which reminds me of Jerry Goldsmith's "Basic Instincts" too.

03 - The Adventures of Mutt
The second new theme (Mutt's theme). Very well done indeed, it has the lightness of "Indy's Very First Adventure" from Last Crusade but with more energy and strength: We're not dealing with a 12 years old Indy anymore but a 21 years old Mutt. From this track alone I've the feeling Mutt is gonna be an arrogant character playing both the comic relief and a dramatic one at some point.

04 - Irina's Theme
The third new theme (Irina Spalko). Breathtaking! The first 1:45 we have the theme itself, then we move for 15 seconds to something which seems straight from Phantom Menace, and finally from 2:00 to the end we
have a nice touch which sounds like a John Barry score from the 60s! Now that I think about it, the theme itself sounds verry Barryish! Anyway, we're now at the 4th track and we've been introduced to the 3 new themes already!

05 - The Snake Pit
An action track, very Indy but nothing special, no specific themes.

06 - The Spell of The Skull
Very intriguing (and spoilerish) since the first 40 seconds are nothing else than the Ark's Theme from ROTLA, followed by a mix of action music which includes pieces of Irina's Theme and Raiders March. You don't need to be a genius to guess this is the score of the Area 51 prologue.

07 - The Journey to Akator
It starts with a very good orchestration of something not very original: you can already picture the red line showing the journey on the map. We then have a fast transition to Mexican music, which is a bit surprising but fun (a bit too long for my taste though because it ends up breaking the global mood).

08 - A Whirl Through Academe
Another action track, also very Indy with some notes of the Raiders March here and there, it's as good as usual but nothing much to be said.

09 - Return
I don't know what "Return" we're talking about but it has something to do with the Crystal Skull since the Skull theme is the main tune after the slow intro. This track seems to me to be the equivalent of the "Map room" from ROTLA since it has the same pace and the artifact theme.

10 - The Jungle Chase
Ok that's the new version of the truck chase from ROTLA, but with Irina and Mutt themes inserted. So basically we have both the ROTLA feeling and 2 of the 3 new themes. I like it a lot.

If anyone cares, the rest of the tracks tomorrow if I find some time ;)

lynchpin

tl;dr Feels Like Last Crusade

It's very light in tone, but also very lush sounding.

A robust orchestra with a variety of tones and melodies, but still very light, occasionally more playful than others. Sounded to me like the "Raiders March" appears very briefly throughout the actual score--although I did enjoy the staggering of the "Raiders March" in "The Adventures of Mutt. "

Without seeing it to picture, "Jungle Chase" sounds especially exuberant. I guess I was silly to want that same unrelenting darkness that makes "Desert Chase" so exciting.

The use of the "Ark Theme/Map Room" from Raiders in "Spell of the Skull" is still a surprise musically, although we'd heard bits from the previews.

Feels like Last Crusade. It's pretty, but I wonder if the early sentiments about things never really feeling "at stake" or "at risk" may be reinforced by the score, because it all does feel rather lighthearted.

mr.wolf

So where are you guys getting to listen to the soundtrack from is the CD in stores now? or available on iTunes? or could someone shoot me a link to where I could hear it and judge myself through PM ?

Matt Holcomb

Well, I'm based in Melbourne, Australia, and I purchased a copy of the score this afternoon from my local Virgin Megastore (South Yarra) for $29.99.

I'll write an initial review once I've finished listening to it -- only two tracks to go.

Jndy

Having just finished my first listen, I have to say I like it. I'm not sure where to rank it- probably #4, just because I love the other three, but that's a really spectacular #4. Random thoughts:

Irina's theme is sort of infectious, but not "scary." It's more creepy than terrifying.

The Adventures of Mutt seems like "Lost Boy Chase" from Hook. It's playful.

There's a moment (at around 2:29) in Jungle Chase when Williams really goes into full-blown Indiana Jones action mode. It reminded me of the awesome moment in the ROTLA Desert Chase when the Nazi is climbing on top of the truck and the music takes over. Pretty sweet!

mr.wolf said:
So where are you guys getting to listen to the soundtrack from is the CD in stores now? or available on iTunes? or could someone shoot me a link to where I could hear it and judge myself through PM ?

Page 2 of this thread offers instructions.