Indiana Jones and the Quest for the References

Yure

Post here the geeky references you find in Indiana Jones 4, i.e. references to YIJC, to the other 3 movies, to other Lucas/Spielberg works, to books, other movies etc.

If you already saw IJ4 you can start right now, you lucky bastard :D

Goonie

I'm wondering if there will be a Star Wars Reference. Raiders had the R2D2 and C3PO heiroglyphs, Temple of Doom had Club Obi Wan. Did Last Crusade have anything Star Wars related?

Tomcatter

Goonie said:
I'm wondering if there will be a Star Wars Reference. Raiders had the R2D2 and C3PO heiroglyphs, Temple of Doom had Club Obi Wan. Did Last Crusade have anything Star Wars related?

Don't they play some Star Wars music in reverse when we first meet Donavan?

jasperjones

There was a Doom Town pic where one of the house numbers was 138 - the obligatory Lucasfilm THX 1138 reference.

IrishLuck1980

Ugh. Please no Star Wars References. Star Wars needs to take a 15yr break if you ask me. No toys, books, cartoons. Nothing. Still can't believe they are making a Star Trek movie so soon.

The Dark Shape

Indy mentions meeting Pancho Villa, which I'd assume is a Young Indiana Jones Chronicles reference. Also, he basically turns into Henry Sr., shouting "This is intolerable!" and "Junior!" at two points.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
There is a dialogue reference to the title of a draft....

Indy says in the film "Saucermen from Mars" when talking about his involvment with Roswell.

Jeeh

* There was 1 great but not very subtle Star Wars reference. At one point, not sure where, Indy shouts 'I've got a bad feeling about this'. The line is used in every SW film, so a nice nod I guess.

* Of course the movie was situated in the 50's for a reason, but they didn't chose to make Shia a greaser for no reason. I think most of that came from Lucas' simply being a big fan of that certain time, mainly referenced in 'American Graffiti', where Harrison Ford had a role as well.

* Of course there was the whole Mutt hat/jacket/bike reference to Marlon Brando and the Wild One. Gotta love that bike.

* The scene where they're hanging in that tree over the water reminded me a lot of Jurassic Park from a certain angle. Not an obvious nod, but I can imagine Spielberg had a laugh about it.

* I hope everyone noticed, but for those who didn't for some reason, the big statue the car hits is of course Marcus Brody.

* I'm fairly sure the UFO in the end had some resemblance to the UFO in Close Encounters, apart from being .. round. Might not be a reference though.

* Remember Indy's 'last words' when he first met Spalko? 'I like Ike'. It said the same thing on the bomb we saw afterwards.

Check out the following clip to see what that's about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va5Btg4kkUE

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Jeeh said:
* There was 1 great but not very subtle Star Wars reference. At one point, not sure where, Indy shouts 'I've got a bad feeling about this'. The line is used in every SW film, so a nice nod I guess.

He says this line a couple of times in YIJC as well.

Yure

Jeeh said:
* I hope everyone noticed, but for those who didn't for some reason, the big statue the car hits is of course Marcus Brody.

Oh yeah, and he's got his own painting in the aisle (y)

ValenciaGrail

A minor disappointment / gripe which is mostly "reference" related:

The crystal skull(s) in Indy 4 were NOT the same as the recurring crystal skull MacGuffin in the Max McCoy novel sequence.

So creating an Indy 4 story in a manner which honors continunity with the novels was clearly not a priority.

I have enjoyed thinking of the books as canon, but now it's more difficult to do that...

<insert sad violin music here> :(

I have read and enjoyed dozens of Star Wars EU novels, and overall the continuity has been pretty good, and enhanced my overall GFFA experience.

Hawaii_Jones

ValenciaGrail said:
A minor disappointment / gripe which is mostly "reference" related:

The crystal skull(s) in Indy 4 were NOT the same as the recurring crystal skull MacGuffin in the Max McCoy novel sequence.

So creating an Indy 4 story in a manner which honors continunity with the novels was clearly not a priority.

I have enjoyed thinking of the books as canon, but now it's more difficult to do that...

<insert sad violin music here> :(

I don't necessarily think that because they use a different crystal skull that they can't maintain continuity. There have been many crystal skulls over the years that have been discovered. In fact, at least in the novelization, Indy specifically mentions that the crystal skull they're searching for is nothing like the Mitchell-Hedges skull, which the skull in the McCoy novels is modeled after. So don't break out the sad violin just yet.

Avilos

I was pleasantly surprised on how specific the Curse of the Jackal mention was! Indy saying how he was kidnapped by Poncho Villa's men and then joining them. That he almost didn't mind because it allowed him to escape the situation at home.

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:
I was pleasantly surprised on how specific the Curse of the Jackal was! Indy saying how he was kidnapped by Poncho Villa men and then joining them. That he almost didn't mind because it allowed him to escape the situation at home.

Yes! That was AWESOME! Even though I knew of the reference going in, I had no idea it would be so specific! (y) I think I let out a girly shriek in the theater when that part came up. :eek:

Avilos

I don't blame you! This will sound really cheesy and overtly sentimental but I feel like this was a gift to people like us. Those who have enjoyed and defended the show all these years. The reason for that conversation was to impress Mutt with how cool a life Indy has lead. They could have created a new story but they choose a tribute to the show!