Williams' score

sarah navarro

Rococo said:
Is that the Summer concert again at the Hollywood Bowl? I read about that, and am debating going- it sounds like great fun. In your experience, does JW do a lot of Indy stuff in his general concerts- or usually just Raiders March and that's it?
Oh yes Hollywood Bowl,the concerts are really fun,you can sit down and have like wine and bring some nice food.Im to young to drink (i wouldnt anyways)Have you ever been?Its an nice enviroment and its comfortable.JW plays alot of diffrent music the first hour,some other composers music then the second hour he plays his most memorable peices like,the Raider March,Star Wars.Last time i went he played the whole ROTLA finale,not alot of anything he played 2 star wars and Indy.But you neve know he might play his new Indy music this time around,there might be more.But usually he only plays one Indy song.:DI'd definitly reccomend going if I were you.

Rococo

I have been to Hollywood Bowl before, but not to JW concerts- but with your enthusiastic reccomendation, I think I'm going to have to go! Hopefully with the film out this year, we'll get lots of Indy music. I'm all for lots of Indy and Star Wars to be played- frankly, I like most of his other stuff as well, but for concert, for the effort to get there (it's about 3 hours away from me), I want the stuff I LOVE! :)

sarah navarro

Rococo said:
I have been to Hollywood Bowl before, but not to JW concerts- but with your enthusiastic reccomendation, I think I'm going to have to go! Hopefully with the film out this year, we'll get lots of Indy music. I'm all for lots of Indy and Star Wars to be played- frankly, I like most of his other stuff as well, but for concert, for the effort to get there (it's about 3 hours away from me), I want the stuff I LOVE! :)
Yah he played all the best for last,but all in all i think its gonna be worth it.Its only about 1hr 30 mins away from me but i had so much fun.JW is a pretty cool guy from what ive seen of him on the stage ,he came back and did about 5 encores,he left the stage then came back,then left and came back over and over.then he was talking about being an old man and that he needed to sleep it was fun.Everyone had there shirts of there favorite movies and everyone had lightsabers:p

deckard24

Darth Vile said:
Hmmm - Not sure about that one. The Ark theme is referenced (to allude to the fact that it's the same warehouse from Raiders). Marion's theme is obviously in there for the 'Raiders March' and 'Finale' (which is to be expected). But I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s recycling from the other Indy movies.
You might be right! I just saw KOTCS again today for the 4th time(y), and the score just keeps getting better and better. I might have judged it unfairly based on the cd alone! It's more subtle in ways then the other films, but still ramps up the intensity when needed.

Rococo

sarah navarro said:
Yah he played all the best for last,but all in all i think its gonna be worth it.Its only about 1hr 30 mins away from me but i had so much fun.JW is a pretty cool guy from what ive seen of him on the stage ,he came back and did about 5 encores,he left the stage then came back,then left and came back over and over.then he was talking about being an old man and that he needed to sleep it was fun.Everyone had there shirts of there favorite movies and everyone had lightsabers:p

Oh, it sounds like such fun! I'm exited- I just ordered my tickets!

James

I really liked Irina's Theme, and felt it was the standout track.

The other thing that really jumps out is that variation on the Raiders March that plays during the finale. There's a similar moment in the Chauchilla Cemetery scene, when Indy begins to pocket the conquistador's golden knife.

Avilos

I think for most people the score suffers because the sound systems in theaters just suck these days. I went to a theater with a "Ultra Screen". About 4 times the size of their other screens but the sound was really lousy! Actually it was probably the same type of sound system for their other screens. But with a theater this size you need to sit in the front to hear anything!

I used to work at a movie theater about 10 years. Back then it was the opposite problem. The sound was WAY, WAY TOO LOUD! Families would complain all the time. During the trailers it was the worst. Since then I think theater owners are turning down the sound level. But over do it so no one complains.

The best way to enjoy the score is to go to a digital projection if you get the chance. Sad thing is for most people this film will sound superior on DVD on their home systems.

agentsands77

Darth Vile said:
Hmmm - Not sure about that one. The Ark theme is referenced (to allude to the fact that it's the same warehouse from Raiders). Marion's theme is obviously in there for the 'Raiders March' and 'Finale' (which is to be expected). But I don?t think it?s fair to say it?s recycling from the other Indy movies.
There's also the bit from THE LAST CRUSADE towards the end of the film, and "Journey to Akator" heavily lifts from RAIDERS.

Darth Vile

Avilos said:
I think for most people the score suffers because the sound systems in theaters just suck these days. I went to a theater with a "Ultra Screen". About 4 times the size of their other screens but the sound was really lousy! Actually it was probably the same type of sound system for their other screens. But with a theater this size you need to sit in the front to hear anything!

I used to work at a movie theater about 10 years. Back then it was the opposite problem. The sound was WAY, WAY TOO LOUD! Families would complain all the time. During the trailers it was the worst. Since then I think theater owners are turning down the sound level. But over do it so no one complains.

The best way to enjoy the score is to go to a digital projection if you get the chance. Sad thing is for most people this film will sound superior on DVD on their home systems.

Quoted for truth. I don't know if it's the systems or the mix, but the 3 times I've seen it (at different cinemas) the sound has been all over the place...

sarah navarro

Darth Vile said:
Quoted for truth. I don't know if it's the systems or the mix, but the 3 times I've seen it (at different cinemas) the sound has been all over the place...
Ive been 5 times and every single tme the sound was just WAY TOO loud do the theatre employees ever go inside and check it out for themselves.Some points of the movie were just hard to enjoy because my eardrums were rattling.:mad:

IAdventurer01

The volume when I went was pretty consistent and good, but the system was just terrible. The lovely bell hits on the return build to Raider's March? Gone, but it's on the CD at home so it must have been in the mix.

Avilos

From my experience no one who works at the theaters check the sound. I complained before but they look at you like your a nut! Even if they say they will fix the problem that does not mean they will. Thats I usually don't bother because it means missing part of the movie!

agentsands77

So does anyone know what the film order is for the soundtrack cues? I can figure some of it out myself, but some of 'em are a bit confusing.

sandiegojones

sarah navarro said:
Ive been 5 times and every single tme the sound was just WAY TOO loud do the theatre employees ever go inside and check it out for themselves.Some points of the movie were just hard to enjoy because my eardrums were rattling.:mad:
Yeah, here in Phoenix it was loud as hell. The A-Bomb sounded friggin' real!

Dr.Sartorius

I really liked the score for Indy 4. Its not as effective or original as Temple of Doom and Raiders but it gets the job done.

Spell of the Skull, The Departure, Hidden Treasure and the City of Gold, and A Whirl Through Academe are all classic John Williams. Irina's Theme isn't your average Williams character theme but is still interesting and is very reminiscent of Steiner's King Kong. It has a very 1930s vibe to it.