Who are the vintage or Potential Vintage Indy Kenner Collectors here?

UIMJ

I love the vintage stuff, but I don't see many people here on the board that seem to be into it.
I think the new toy line maybe brought a lot of kids to this forum (which is cool) but not really collectors.

So who here is into the vintage line, or at least considering building a collection of them?

Billy Ray

I have a few vintage items. I would have pretty much all of them if I hadn't been overseas back when they came out. We were in Germany at the time Raiders was released and England when Doom came out. What we were able to get was limited to what was avaiable from JC Penny or Sears catalogs.

My vintage figure collection consists of Indy, Toht, Cairo Swordsman, and Marion. These were availabe as a set from JC Penny and didn't come carded as far as I can remember. I didn't even know about all of the other Kenner figures, 12" Indy, Raiders truck, Map Room, Streets of Cairo, or the LJN figures until many years later, thanks to the internet. I also got the Well of Souls playset along with this set of figures, though I have no idea where it currently is (most likely my mom's attic or garage).

By the time we returned to the States in '86, the Indy toys had pretty much disappeared, but I did manage to find a Map Room playset w/Indy at TRU on clearance. I still have that entire set, with the box, instructions, and all the pieces. One of these days I am going to raid my mom's attic and garage and find that Well of the Souls (if my brother hasn't gotten his hands on it already) and I am seriously considering trying to complete the rest of the Kenner figures at least.

KneelBeforeZod

I have a bit of the vintage stuff from when I was a kid. Nothing spectacular -- but I have the Indiana Jones, Indy in German Disguise, Map Room Indy, Toht and Swordsman. I wouldn't mind completing the set.

KBZ

Dirk Pitt

I LOVE vintage Indy, it's been my most favorite line to collect. I finally have them all carded and loose (Kenner), and I'm one away from having all 5 LJN figures carded and loose. (3 plus the 2 variations). I don't have any of the playsets, but I do have a very high AFA graded horse, which is the jewel of my collection at this point. I never had any kenner toys growing up, but many of my friends had them, and that is most likely why I like them so much today.

Take a look:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/durkpiet/indy-1.jpg

Kevin

^^^Very nice collection, Dirk!

I got the Kenner toys as a kid, and I still have them, but they are in pretty bad shape from being played with (broken thumbs, chipped paint, etc.) I have all of the single figures except Marion and Belloq in robes, and I have the Map Room and Streets of Cairo sets, but many of the pieces are missing from these sets.

Now that I have finished collecting the current Hasbro line, I have started picking up items from the Kenner collection that I never had, as well as replacing pieces of my playsets that are missing.

sebillba

Superb display Dirk. :cool:

I don't remember seeing any of these the first time round, but I picked up a set of figures this year, and I love them! I've got all the figures, nice and minty, the horse, two classic Indys (the extra one to ride the horse) and a kitbashed Cairo Indy. I don't have any of the playsets, but I would really like to get them some day. And I'm getting the 12" Indy for Christmas. (y)

Kevin

sebillba said:
I've got all the figures, nice and minty, the horse, two classic Indys (the extra one to ride the horse) and a kitbashed Cairo Indy.

Kitbashed Cairo Indy? I've never seen a kitbashed figure from the Kenner line. I assume you took the head from the regular Indy and put it on the body of the Map Room Indy, but how did you get the heads off?

I have quite a large collection. I have all the figures carded and graded by AFA, all except Marion unpunched and without price stickers. I also have all of the sets, both unopened and opened. I have tried to set up scenes from the movies and it worked out for the most part. We are thinking on moving so I haven't taken any photos really.

I haven't seen too many unpunched Marion's, and those I have seen they want way too much for them.

monkey man

I have the vintage Indy stuff too.
Great line. I like them better than the new ones.
Where else will you get the Map Room, the Streets of Cairo or the Well of Souls? Not to mention the figures that fill in the gaps in the Hasbro line. The Kenner figures are a must have for Indy collectors.

"a part of history".

metalinvader

Big vintage fan here.I was never big into collecting vintage carded stuff but I do own all of the vintage figs and playset (Still have yet to buy a vintage cargo truck!)I still have my first vintage figure,An old map room Indy that I got in '89.It was a hand me down from my cousins.The figure itself is beat up beyond belief and the quick draw feature has been broken for I don't know how many years,But I love that figure to death.

I'm also a collector of other vintage Indy merch,(Cards,Books,etc.)

Last edited:

mfisher

I grew up with the vintage line.. my best christmas ever was when Santa brought the convoy truck, Indy, Toht, german mechanic and the 12" Indy... I took that 12" Indy everywhere.... The only thing I am missing from the vintage line now is the Marion figure and the molded Marion from the streets of Cairo set..

sebillba

Kevin said:
Kitbashed Cairo Indy? I've never seen a kitbashed figure from the Kenner line. I assume you took the head from the regular Indy and put it on the body of the Map Room Indy, but how did you get the heads off?

You got it! You can swap the heads with the usual "boil and pop" method. The neck peg is part of the body, and goes into the head - heat the head in just boiled water, and it pulls off very easily. And don't worry, the water doesn't do any damage to the figure.

Little Indy

I'll chime in here,

I was fortunate enough to have several of the vintage line as a kid. Indy, Toht, Cairo Swordsman, Indy in German Disguise, and Map Room Indy. I was rather young when the line came out so I really didn't have much say in which toys I got. My parents bought them for me because I really loved the movie. I distinctly remember seeing the 12" Indy in Toys R Us and thinking that's a girls toy. 12" Indy = 12" Barbie = girls toy.

Of course my favorite was the Indy with Jacket with whip cracking action. His pistol fit into his holster which was amazing. He accompanied me on all my adventures around the neighborhood. He was my goodluck token, and sidekick all in one. He was bruised and battered, and missing the right thumb. He was there at all the important events in my life; high school graduation, college, family vacations, (Canada, Mexico, Italy, New York on New Year's Eve) College graduation, two year exchange program, wedding day and wedding night;) My family referred to him as Little Indy, hence my screen name.

So needless to say he had a great deal of sentimental value. Well November 14, 2005 rolls around and my wife wakes up and tells me it's time to go. The contractions are coming quicker and quicker, and we're off to the hospital. In the rush that accompanies soon to be dads prior to the arrival at the hospital, I was grabbing things that might be needed for the hospital stay. My last thought was "Little Indy, he's been there on all my greatest adventures he's not gonna miss this one." So I grabbed him and shoved him into my jacket pocket and ran out the door. That was the last I saw of him. Naturally my attention was focused on the delivery of my boy, and I didn't realize he was missing until it was time for photos. We named my little boy Harrison, as a nod to a particular actor, and the story I tell people is, "I traded one little Indy for another little Indy":D

I traded this little Indy
kennerindyloose.gif

for this little Indy
2704277000_a24c28b3ee.jpg

Saber79

Pretty cool collections everyone, especially that awesome picture from Dirk...

I have a few vintage stuff that I have been trying to collect over the years, since some of my original stuff was "accidentally sold" at a garage sale when I was a kid (still haven't forgiven Mom for that, lol). But I have managed to gain some back.

I have Indiana Jones (complete), Toht (complete), German Mechanic (missing wrench), Indy as German (complete), Cairo Swordsman (Mint on c-6/7 card), Giant Thuggee (missing all weapons) and I have a Belloq in Ceremonial Robes still sealed in Mailer bag coming soon from an ebay auction, paid only 15 bucks for it!!

I would love to complete the Kenner set, but I think that it will be over time and with some luck.
I did manage to land all of the 7-Up Temple of Doom glasses at a comic convention in NYC, all graphics and text are in excellant shape with there colors really vibrant and no chips in the glass, so that was exciting.

deckard24

I love the vintage stuff as well, especially considering the fact I grew up with those figures in the 80's! There are a few figures I never got around to getting, and I've honestly been thinking about pursuing them via eBay in the not too distant future. In fact I'd even consider trading a lot of the new stuff I've bought for the vintage stuff, and over the last bunch of months I've accumulated quite a bit. I have now pretty much all of the 3 3/4" figures with the exception of a handful of the KOTCS figures(ie. Mutt) and the TOD wave minus Indy who I ordered a while back, I've got the Cargo Truck, all of the Deluxe line, several of the Die-Cast miniatures, a Mighty Mugg Indy, the Target Battlepacks, and the 12" Sideshow Exclusive!

Here's a few pics of my modest vintage collection:http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12928

Last edited:

tnswman

I have it all several times over and the Vintage line always gets better. I could look at the cardbacks all day long. Of course, I LOVE the disney line too so what do I know

Saber79

The Disney line is definitely great...The figures themselves are almost as fun as the thrill of finding them.

Crack that whip

I've been a fan since Raiders of the Lost Ark was still in theaters, and I do have a pretty fair number of vintage items, though not much of the Kenner stuff specifically. I was aware of it, but didn't really see it in stores - I was an AF brat living overseas where my dad was stationed at the time, so the only stores I regularly had access to where those on the base (the BX, the Four Seasons and the Stars and Stripes bookstore), and they just never got much of the merchandise, though I did get quite a few Star Wars toys there back in the day.

Off the top of my head, the only Kenner Raiders items I have are a copy of the Raiders boardgame (used and worn, but complete) and an action figure of Toht (still sealed in the package).