MKVII Pattern Question

sheffsteve

You guys have been around the block so I was wondering if any of you had ever come across a decent pattern for making your own MKVII bag? I have found one pattern for a half size bag but wasn't convinced about some of the detail. My wife is very crafty and has offered to make me one.

Drones33

Bag

This doesn`t answer your question, however I thought you might be interested in this. I bought this bag from a website called Nomad Travel, for £20, and simply replaced the strap with the leather one you see here, which I got from SOFMilitary. (Wested now sell leather gasmask-bag straps for about £8)
indy_gear_by_00177840-d7qc257.jpg

Ive just been on the Nomad site and unbelievably they have this bag, the `Sahara Indiana II`, in the sale; £10!! Worth a tenner of anyone`s money!
http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/p/11252/Sahara-Indiana-II-Shoulder-Bag

jsarino

Quasi-related to this, but I'd like to replace the strap to my replica MKVII. The one that came with mine is a bit too short and wider. Any suggestions?

Drones33

My Wested strap arrived today. Pretty good. Dark brown. The one I have from SOFMilitary is better though. While it's a slightly paler colour, it's thicker leather, feels more sturdy. And it has that great leather smell. At £12, it's worth the extra couple of quid:)

sheffsteve

Well, from that picture I see what you mean. I think the top strap has a better texture and colour than the bottom one. I also prefer the adjustment buckle in brass.

Drones33

The difference is very noticeable isn't it. The bottom one is ok, will do the job, ( it's to go with the Nomad bag for a mate's birthday prezzie, he's a fan but not as obsessive as me!) but the top one is great. And Wested charge nearly £7 postage while SOFMilitary charge about £3 I think, so the difference is literally a couple of quid. :)

sheffsteve

After a little bit of checking it seems the SOFMilitary is not strictly accurate. The leather is the right colour for Raiders but the adjustment buckle should always be a silver metal. (I still prefer the brass though). Plus in all the other movies the strap is a very dark brown, almost black, just like the Wested one. Think I will still plump for the SOF though as it just looks nicer.

S. Dakota Jones

Todd sells a decent raiders strap.

I also have one by www.makeitjones.com, he's a UK seller who makes holsters, belts and bag straps. I really like the one I have but its still looking too pristine lol. Need to do a bit of weathering to get it to match my actual mkIIV bag lol

Drones33

You are right of course, Sheffsteve, the SOF isn't completely accurate. I was also a little disappointed that it's not quite as long as the Wested, which means that if you carry the bag low on the hip, the adjustment buckle sits quite close to the bag itself instead of chest height. It's only a minor niggle, but something to be aware of. I agree with you completely however, the SOF is much nicer. :)
I must say though, whilst for cosplay purposes ( my ipad keeps replacing the word 'cosplay' with 'Coldplay'.) I'd want to be as accurate as possible, but since I can't be in costume all the time...unfortunately, (Try walking through Liverpool City centre with a Webley strapped to you hip...:) ) I do like to maintain at least an aspect of Indy's look in my daily life, whether that be my gasmask bag that I use for work, containing nothing more exciting than my lunch and a book, or a pair of chinos with flap pockets ( picked up a nice pair from M&S, I'll post I pic )or a shirt that's either the right colour OR the right look, to go with my hat and jacket which, ever since seeing that guy in the train station in his Indy gear, I don't leave home without. I'm still amazed, and happily so, at how little attention the hat/jacket/bag combo gets. For a small portion of the population it's instantly recognisable, yet clearly most people are unaware of the significance.
I suppose the trick is to maintain the look without looking like I'm in costume. And from that point of view I don't really object to little differences.

sheffsteve

Drones33 said:
You are right of course, Sheffsteve, the SOF isn't completely accurate. I was also a little disappointed that it's not quite as long as the Wested, which means that if you carry the bag low on the hip, the adjustment buckle sits quite close to the bag itself instead of chest height. It's only a minor niggle, but something to be aware of. I agree with you completely however, the SOF is much nicer. :)
I must say though, whilst for cosplay purposes ( my ipad keeps replacing the word 'cosplay' with 'Coldplay'.) I'd want to be as accurate as possible, but since I can't be in costume all the time...unfortunately, (Try walking through Liverpool City centre with a Webley strapped to you hip...:) ) I do like to maintain at least an aspect of Indy's look in my daily life, whether that be my gasmask bag that I use for work, containing nothing more exciting than my lunch and a book, or a pair of chinos with flap pockets ( picked up a nice pair from M&S, I'll post I pic )or a shirt that's either the right colour OR the right look, to go with my hat and jacket which, ever since seeing that guy in the train station in his Indy gear, I don't leave home without. I'm still amazed, and happily so, at how little attention the hat/jacket/bag combo gets. For a small portion of the population it's instantly recognisable, yet clearly most people are unaware of the significance.
I suppose the trick is to maintain the look without looking like I'm in costume. And from that point of view I don't really object to little differences.

This (y)
I am in total agreement with everything you say here.

sheffsteve

Interesting what you say about the length of the SOFMilitary strap. I am 6' 2" so would probably need a longer strap than they provide. I'm currently very keen on the makeitjones.co.uk work, some very nice stuff on there.

jsarino

Though the Wested and SOFmilitary were mentioned earlier, I may go with the Todd's to replace my strap, only because it's on my end of the pond. :p

As an aside, I took a train/walking trek while I was out of town this past weekend, and used my MKVII bag to carry my phone, portable charger (and cord), earbuds, and tickets. Someone admired the pouch, and I even encountered a passenger on the train with a modern equivalent of the pouch...he used it to hold a tablet. Sadly, I didn't take a selfie of myself with the pouch, or that passenger.

S. Dakota Jones said:

FYI, that page doesn't exist.