TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 06-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #26
MolaRam2
IndyFan

I really like the idea of Indy having a daughter. Let's face it, a hot girl kicking ass would be way cooler than Mutt. Natalie Portman would be a great choice for the role.
MolaRam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #27
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolaRam2
Let's face it, a hot girl kicking ass would be way cooler than Mutt.
Pre-pubescent, el geeko wank!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #28
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
I always thought it would be more interesting if Indy had a daughter instead of a son but then I guess if she took after her father she would come across as being too much like Lara Croft. Natalie Portman would have been a good choice although I remember when the rumours first surfaced I immediately thought of Jennifer Connelly.

Anyway, in 'honour' of the Jones' girl that never was I have created this wallpaper (1024x768 ... click the thumbnail to see full size image) using an old Adam Hughes sketch. Enjoy

indytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #29
nezobiwan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
She wouldn't have the "Can Only Set Me in the '50s" greaser style and would have a more adaptible style.
Are you telling me that people who used to be 'greasers' in the 1950s ceased to exist, never adapted, never grew up?!?!

Greasers were real people, they're not made-up. I don't see why Mutt's character is only able to exist in the 1950s. Real people grow up and adapt. So has Indy so can Mutt.

Daughter would have been cool too, but I'm happy with Mutt. The junior idea is just too perfect. And the not finishing school makes more of a crisis for a guy in the 1950s than a girl in the 50s. Little missy Indy could just be married off like the rest of the oppressed women of the time--her not finishing school wouldn't be as big a deal I think.
nezobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #30
Goodsport
IndyFan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytim
I always thought it would be more interesting if Indy had a daughter instead of a son but then I guess if she took after her father she would come across as being too much like Lara Croft. Natalie Portman would have been a good choice although I remember when the rumours first surfaced I immediately thought of Jennifer Connelly.

Anyway, in 'honour' of the Jones' girl that never was I have created this wallpaper (1024x768 ... click the thumbnail to see full size image) using an old Adam Hughes sketch. Enjoy

Not that I'm complaining, mind you , but do you really think Indy would want his own daughter dressed like that?

After all, it was okay with Indy if some kid named Mutt Williams became a motorcycle mechanic all of his life instead of attending college, but no way will he allow Henry Jones, III to do the same.

-G
Goodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #31
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezobiwan
Are you telling me that people who used to be 'greasers' in the 1950s ceased to exist, never adapted, never grew up?!?!

Greasers were real people, they're not made-up. I don't see why Mutt's character is only able to exist in the 1950s. Real people grow up and adapt. So has Indy so can Mutt.

Daughter would have been cool too, but I'm happy with Mutt. The junior idea is just too perfect. And the not finishing school makes more of a crisis for a guy in the 1950s than a girl in the 50s. Little missy Indy could just be married off like the rest of the oppressed women of the time--her not finishing school wouldn't be as big a deal I think.

Well, here's the thing. It'd be kind of dumb to change Mutt from being a greaser to something else. If you're going to create an iconic character, you have to keep his outfit and his identity the same. For example, Indy. While the times may have changed, Indy still basically wears the same thing he wore in 1936, even though it's more than 20 years later. And that's fine because in both periods it fits. In the '30s, every young man wore a fedora and adventurers wore leather jackets; In the '50s, Indy is an older man and older men in the 50s and 60s wore fedoras.
However, by the mid 60s, Greasers were an anachronism. Mutt would look out of place in the glamourous early '60s or in the hippie later 60s dressed as a greaser, and to change his look would change the core of the character. That doesn't work if you're attempting to create an iconic character worthy of his own series. Superman's outfit, for example, has never changed. Neither Indy's, whether it's 1936 or 1956.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #32
MolaRam2
IndyFan

Natalie Portman would also come aross as alot tougher than Shia also. I really can't see Shia being a great adventurer.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #33
nezobiwan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Well, here's the thing. It'd be kind of dumb to change Mutt from being a greaser to something else. [...]That doesn't work if you're attempting to create an iconic character worthy of his own series. Superman's outfit, for example, has never changed. Neither Indy's, whether it's 1936 or 1956.
Noted. Well argued. But if I'm not mistaken, greasers were around up into the mid sixties. Do we really expect the franchise to follow into the 1970s? (((shudder)))

Maybe it isn't the character, but the changing era that is the real problem. Some say Indiana Jones already is out of place in the 1950s with his iconic 1930s image. A lot of other people would argue that Superman is also ill-suited to the new millenium.

The groove for Mutt's style all depends on the next Indy movie, *if there even is one.*
nezobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #34
StoneTriple
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
This idea of Indy having an adventurous daughter is a terrible one.
The last thing the world needs is another Lara Croft/Relic Hunter!
+1
StoneTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #35
Michael24
IndyFan

If there was ever a possibility of Natalie Portman playing Indy's daughter, then I'm glad we got Indy's son instead.
Michael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #36
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Misremembering? You've been an Indy fan for only "a few months"!

Anyway, here ya go, Lady in Red:
Indy's Daughter in TV Series

This idea of Indy having an adventurous daughter is a terrible one.
The last thing the world needs is another Lara Croft/Relic Hunter!

According to The Complete Making of Indiana Jones, Frank Darabont's "City of the Gods" script gave Indy and Marion a daughter, but Spielberg rejected it because he found it too similar to The Lost World.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #37
MolaRam2
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
According to The Complete Making of Indiana Jones, Frank Darabont's "City of the Gods" script gave Indy and Marion a daughter, but Spielberg rejected it because he found it too similar to The Lost World.

I thought Spielberg loved Darabont's script, but Lucas didn't like it. Nobody remembers The Lost World anyway, it's only Spielberg's most boring movie.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #38
Michael24
IndyFan

Quote:
Nobody remembers The Lost World anyway, it's only Spielberg's most boring movie.
I thought that was Hook.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #39
The Man
IndyFan

They need to throw something of a curveball if casting Indy's daughter. Katee Sackhoff is only perfect. Think about it...

The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #40
deckard24
IndyFan

I honestly don't think they'd have gone with a daughter, because if they are planning on future sequels with a new replacement(or should I say a younger sidekick), a daughter wouldn't be the same box office draw as a son! I'm not trying to be sexist, just honest, because bad ass female roles rarely draw in the crowds that males do. Just look at the success of the Lara Croft films, or Elektra, Catwoman, Aeon flux, Resident Evil,and Ultraviolet. Of course there are exceptions, but they tend to be either cult favorites like Kill Bill where people turned out because it was Tarantino's 4th film, or mainstream sci-fi horror where the draw wasn't the female lead but the creature ie. Alien!

As much as a daughter might have been interesting to see, the future of the franchise seems to be hinged on Indy and Marion's child, and Shia was an extremely smart casting choice for this! He already has a huge following, and is on his way to being one of the Hollywood's most bankable movie stars.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #41
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodsport
but do you really think Indy would want his own daughter dressed like that?
Pubescent wank in action!
Quote:
It's hard to picture Marion, at her age, giving birth in '58/'59. Daphne/Susan could be the product of another relationship Indy had.
Quote:
Nobody remembers The Lost World anyway,
I do. I own a copy and love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
They need to throw something of a curveball if casting Indy's daughter. Katee Sackhoff is only perfect. Think about it...
Dye her hair red and she could pass as a young Susan Bigelow (Indy's daughter)!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #42
Uki
IndyFan

Who is Kate Sackhoff?

Anyway, I'm happy with Mutt. But I do like Natalie portman a whole lot. Maybe she could be his love interest in the next one... A student with a little crush on her archaeology prof, Dr. Jones. She has followed his advetures since she was just a wee lass, and Mutt, newly enrolled at Marshall College, has a thing for her. So, he gets involved in a quest that she naturally holds the first clues to, and, well, there you have it. They go off, Mutt attempting to impress her, and Indy has to follow along to save them (all the while being more and more impressed with how well his son is holding his own along the way...)
Uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #43
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
It's hard to picture Marion, at her age, giving birth in '58/'59. Daphne/Susan could be the product of another relationship Indy had.

Daphne/Susan has always reminded me of Willie Scott.

Quote:
Dye her hair red and she could pass as a young Susan Bigelow (Indy's daughter)!

Which brings up an interesting idea: Maybe Indy's daughter is Sophia Hapgood's?
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #44
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Which brings up an interesting idea: Maybe Indy's daughter is Sophia Hapgood's?
YES!!!!!!
I like it. I like it. Good one, Adam!

I know "Fate of Atlantis" is 1939. What is the other game with her?
Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #45
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man

She would actually be a good choice for such a role
Old 06-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #46
indytim
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24
I honestly don't think they'd have gone with a daughter, because if they are planning on future sequels with a new replacement(or should I say a younger sidekick), a daughter wouldn't be the same box office draw as a son! I'm not trying to be sexist, just honest, because bad ass female roles rarely draw in the crowds that males do. Just look at the success of the Lara Croft films, or Elektra, Catwoman, Aeon flux, Resident Evil,and Ultraviolet. Of course there are exceptions, but they tend to be either cult favorites like Kill Bill where people turned out because it was Tarantino's 4th film, or mainstream sci-fi horror where the draw wasn't the female lead but the creature ie. Alien!

As much as a daughter might have been interesting to see, the future of the franchise seems to be hinged on Indy and Marion's child, and Shia was an extremely smart casting choice for this! He already has a huge following, and is on his way to being one of the Hollywood's most bankable movie stars.

Shame Tomb Raider ever existed otherwise they could have used Angelina Jolie in the role. She's gorgeous, tough, attractive to both men and women, and is one of the few actresses that can carry a film (with the right script, which the two Tomb Raiders didn't). I bet Wanted does pretty well at the box office this Summer
Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #47
MolaRam2
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24

Elektra, Catwoman, Aeon flux, and Ultraviolet are all flat out horrible films. The Lara Croft and Resident Evil films are okay, but special.

The reasons these movies didn't have that much success was because they ranged from horrible to okay.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #48
Michael24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytim
Shame Tomb Raider ever existed otherwise they could have used Angelina Jolie in the role. She's gorgeous, tough, attractive to both men and women, and is one of the few actresses that can carry a film (with the right script, which the two Tomb Raiders didn't). I bet Wanted does pretty well at the box office this Summer
Funny, I've always felt the exact opposite about Angelina Jolie.

I might have even gone to see Wanted if it starred somebody else.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #49
indytim
IndyFan

Kristen Bell also has the qualities that would make a good Jones Jnr ...

Old 06-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #50
TheMutt92
IndyFan

In response to the first rumors of Indy's son, didn't Shia himself state that he thought Indy 4 would've been more interesting if Indy had a daughter instead of a son? Personally, I'm glad we got Mutt, if not just so we didn't have to have a really brief but awkward potential love relationship between Indy and his daughter before he finds out. I admit it'd be kinda funny, but I think I'd cringe, or you know...
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote