TV Spot #2

agentsands77

herr gruber said:
Holy shoot. That is one good looking movie in HD.
It is pretty well shot... really nice visual sensibility.

I'm pretty interested in the visual style of KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL. Admittedly, we've only had little glimpses, but from what I can see it's definitely a sort of new look for Indy, despite Spielberg's intentions. It's glossier than the previous Indy films, and that's not just because of CGI.

I don't, however, think that's a bad thing.

Jenos Idanian

agentsands77 said:
It is pretty well shot... really nice visual sensibility.

I'm pretty interested in the visual style of KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL. Admittedly, we've only had little glimpses, but from what I can see it's definitely a sort of new look for Indy, despite Spielberg's intentions. It's glossier than the previous Indy films, and that's not just because of CGI.

I don't, however, think that's a bad thing.[/QUOT

I just think it looks different because film quality has improved over the last 19 years.

agentsands77

Jenos Idanian said:
I just think it looks different because film quality has improved over the last 19 years.
Well, there's that, which is a substantial part of the difference. But Kaminski is also just a very different cinematographer. He's doing his best to imitate Slocombe, but he doesn't quite get all the way there. The lighting is often pretty different from what Slocombe did on the other films, at least in these segments.

Jenos Idanian

It's too hard for me to make a judgment based on just the trailers so far. As long as that Indy chemistry is there thats all I care about.

agentsands77

Jenos Idanian said:
It's too hard for me to make a judgment based on just the trailers so far. As long as that Indy chemistry is there thats all I care about.
Hey, I never said it was a bad thing. Different doesn't have to equal bad. I really love the look of KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL, despite its minor differences from the previous three.

commontone

They've all said that they didn't make this Indy "bigger and better," that it's "exactly the same" as the others.

Well, I'm not saying this as a bad thing, but based on the trailers so far it is clearly "bigger" (the "better" part remains to be seen). Giant moving pillars, retracting spiral staircase, huge gears crushing a bridge, wide shot of rocket sled shooting over the desert...these are all bigger, more spectacular set pieces than the other movies (the mine car chase being the one exception that comes to mind).

I think I'll like it, though. They're not way bigger, like they're trying to outdo the other movies or anything...just a little spicier, or something.

agentsands77

commontone said:
They've all said that they didn't make this Indy "bigger and better," that it's "exactly the same" as the others.

Well, I'm not saying this as a bad thing, but based on the trailers so far it is clearly "bigger" (the "better" part remains to be seen). Giant moving pillars, retracting spiral staircase, huge gears crushing a bridge, wide shot of rocket sled shooting over the desert...these are all bigger, more spectacular set pieces than the other movies (the mine car chase being the one exception that comes to mind).

I think I'll like it, though. They're not way bigger, like they're trying to outdo the other movies or anything...just a little spicier, or something.
I'll echo that. The change in scale is definitely present, though, as you say, it's not really a bad thing. It still feels within the realm of Indiana Jones, but just a little more epic (which is fitting, given the long absence and that, in all liklihood, this will be Indy's last cinematic adventure).

Blue Jay

i just noticed that the shot of indy being tied to the chair must be an reverse angle because the ccp symbol on the back of spalko's uniform is mirrored.

the first pic is definitely the rocket sled.

you can barely see Ox and Mac in the char chase scene.

if you go slow mo on the scene where indy is hitting the russian soldier in the face on the car, the expression the soldier does is priceless :D

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rocketsledun5.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=russiansai7.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spalkofd6.jpg

nitzsche

Yeah, Indy in the chair is a definite flopped shot for the trailer making you think Spalko with the sword and his reply are in the same scene.

When she's got the sword to his throat, it's in the warehouse.

Yeah, that soldier's expression is hilarious as is the fact that in slow-mo, Indy misses the guy by a mile. He really sells it though.

And rocket sled all the way, baby.

And Indy barely makes it past the giant gears.

And Spalko is hot.

That is all.

Zorg

commontone said:
based on the trailers so far it is clearly "bigger" (the "better" part remains to be seen). Giant moving pillars, retracting spiral staircase, huge gears crushing a bridge, wide shot of rocket sled shooting over the desert...these are all bigger, more spectacular set pieces than the other movies (the mine car chase being the one exception that comes to mind).

There's also the fact that the film's scope has to be up there with the fierce competition from other summer blockbusters. In almost every big summer action movie the scale is big: Iron Man, Dark Knight, Prince Caspian..

But the big scope is irrelevant, as long as good ol' Indy is at heart of it. :whip:

The cinematography looks beautiful to me too...

Yure

agentsands77 said:
Well, there's that, which is a substantial part of the difference. But Kaminski is also just a very different cinematographer. He's doing his best to imitate Slocombe, but he doesn't quite get all the way there. The lighting is often pretty different from what Slocombe did on the other films, at least in these segments.

I totally agree, the whole rendition has a way higher contrast and a darker mood, even TOD looks more pale... this is getting me curious as hell!!!

The Man

Kaminski seems to have nailed the Slocombe vibe in certain sequences, notably the bike shots, but elsewhere his pallet is a little lush, as in the shot of the Akator Warriors lining up for a ruck. Of course, it all looks beautiful regardless of individual styling.

Sankara

I know! It so easy. You can always see it on his nose. BUT: I don't like these
mirror-inverted scenes in the old indy-Movies - and I dont want mirror-inverted scenes in part four.

GlasgowChivas

For me the highlight of the clip is not the RocketSled or the Spalko line or the junge/fight/chase or even Mutt's bike escape

It is Indy swinging that shovel at our faces.

THAT.IS.AWESOME.

I want this film to be that shovel and my head to be detached by sheer shovel-momentumed greatness on May 22nd

That is all.