Mail Away Mishaps And Problems Thread

Dr._Jones_Jr.

Yeah umm when you go on and on about someone being a spoiled brat and all this stuff you have no idea about, then yes I say take your foolishness elsewhere. Telling someone they are a stuck up snob and brat for just being upset about a box being damaged is lame. Its not something that is needed.

Dr._Jones_Jr.

gringo said:
It took me all of about 15 sec to write that. Not much of a wasted time, but thanks.

Did hasbro rip the box? Nope. I did not see where he said his Crystal Skull was damage, but he never said it was damaged. If the skull was damaged, then it would be replaced, which Hasbro has already done with several people. Like others have said the box is just a pretty cover, instead of the typical white box.

Now take your 'foolishness' elsewhere

I also didn't know hasbro was doing a Crystal Skull promo. I did get a Crystal Skeleton in the mail though. I guess I missed that one.

tnswman

well Maybe Chromium just has too much Common sense.. Common sense would make one believe that ANY mail-a-way issues would go under the MAIN mail-a-way catagory... Why start a new thread? Why?

monkey man

There's nothing wrong with collectors wanting these figures/boxes to come undamaged. The people that take the time to open and mail the redemptions in are collectors/fans.
When you spend close to $50.00 to get the mail in skeletons, you should get a little better service. Period.

DIrishB

I agree that its not Hasbro's fault that the Post Office is crushing the boxes the Crystal Skeleton figures are coming in. However, it IS Hasbro's fault that they decided to mail these figures in an extremely flimsy box. You'd think that if they took the time and extra money to print these boxes to look like a crate, they could've spent a little more on a box thicker and more formidable than a few pieces of construction paper pressed together.

I own a UPS Store here in Florida, and in addition to UPS we also handle Post Office stuff. Working in the shipping industry, I know how important it is to package stuff safely and use the right box. Hasbro didn't do that. They dressed up the box with the nice crate print job, but failed miserably in choosing such a cheap, flimsy box to mail it in. As a large company that does mail away promotions often, I'm sure they knew when choosing the box types that many wouldn't survive the trip. But they did it anyway. To save a few bucks? Because they didn't care? I don't know.

Its actually quite moronic of them, really. It'll probably cost them more in replacing damaged figures than it would've just to have spent the extra money on sturdier and safer boxes for it.

Dr._Jones_Jr.

DIrishB said:
I agree that its not Hasbro's fault that the Post Office is crushing the boxes the Crystal Skeleton figures are coming in. However, it IS Hasbro's fault that they decided to mail these figures in an extremely flimsy box. You'd think that if they took the time and extra money to print these boxes to look like a crate, they could've spent a little more on a box thicker and more formidable than a few pieces of construction paper pressed together.

I own a UPS Store here in Florida, and in addition to UPS we also handle Post Office stuff. Working in the shipping industry, I know how important it is to package stuff safely and use the right box. Hasbro didn't do that. They dressed up the box with the nice crate print job, but failed miserably in choosing such a cheap, flimsy box to mail it in. As a large company that does mail away promotions often, I'm sure they knew when choosing the box types that many wouldn't survive the trip. But they did it anyway. To save a few bucks? Because they didn't care? I don't know.

Its actually quite moronic of them, really. It'll probably cost them more in replacing damaged figures than it would've just to have spent the extra money on sturdier and safer boxes for it.

You figure the average person bought six figures to get the skeleton. Some bought more but on average six for one exclusive. That's a total of,if the figures are $6.99 each, $41.64. Now lets do an average number for sales tax. Lets say .05 cents per dollar. So in all you spent $43.69 for the Indy figures. Now let's add the $5.99 for the figure's s/h and the .43 cents for the stamp. total for the whole shabang is $50.11. So Hasbro just made that much because of the exclusive. They want their profit as high as possible. They send them in some crummy boxes and once people get them, the figures are destroyed or the box is wrecked. I couldn't even pull the figure from the box since the box was so mangled. Hasbro are too cheap is the bottom line.

DIrishB

Dr._Jones_Jr. said:
You figure the average person bought six figures to get the skeleton. Some bought more but on average six for one exclusive. That's a total of,if the figures are $6.99 each, $41.64. Now lets do an average number for sales tax. Lets say .05 cents per dollar. So in all you spent $43.69 for the Indy figures. Now let's add the $5.99 for the figure's s/h and the .43 cents for the stamp. total for the whole shabang is $50.11. So Hasbro just made that much because of the exclusive. They want their profit as high as possible. They send them in some crummy boxes and once people get them, the figures are destroyed or the box is wrecked. I couldn't even pull the figure from the box since the box was so mangled. Hasbro are too cheap is the bottom line.

Actually, Hasbro DIDN'T make $50.11 from that. You and everyone else who sent in for one spent that much (at least) to obtain the figure, but Hasbro probably makes (in profit) less than half of that $50. First of all, they don't make profit off the tax...the government does. They also don't make money off the stamps or the shipping cost of $5.99 for the figure to be mailed.

They do make profit off the price of the figures themselves, but not anywhere near what the store prices are. If a store has it listed as $7.99, they probably sold the figures to the store wholesale at $3 or $4 a figure at most.

So in the end, Hasbro is making less than $20 per figure with the Crystal Skull promotion. Of course, they're still making a profit.

Dr._Jones_Jr.

DIrishB said:
Actually, Hasbro DIDN'T make $50.11 from that. You and everyone else who sent in for one spent that much (at least) to obtain the figure, but Hasbro probably makes (in profit) less than half of that $50. First of all, they don't make profit off the tax...the government does. They also don't make money off the stamps or the shipping cost of $5.99 for the figure to be mailed.

They do make profit off the price of the figures themselves, but not anywhere near what the store prices are. If a store has it listed as $7.99, they probably sold the figures to the store wholesale at $3 or $4 a figure at most.

So in the end, Hasbro is making less than $20 per figure with the Crystal Skull promotion. Of course, they're still making a profit.

No you're right. I kinda just threw a bunch of numbers out there before I realized the tax ect ect. Hasbro still is making some bucks.

If Hasbro had shipped them in plain white mailer boxes like they did the Clone Wars Captain Rex nobody would be complaining when they received them with some shipping dents and creases but Hasbro printed the boxes to make it look more attractive in the spirit of the films and people are shocked to discover they don't arrive through USPS mint in their mailbox. If collecting the box was really so important to insure the collectibility of the figure inside they could have double boxed them but it would have been an environmentally wasteful and costly move on Hasbro's part. They can't win either way. So what do you propose, that they go back to generic plain white boxes on future (if the line survives that is) figure mail-ins?

Dr._Jones_Jr.

Agent Spalko said:
If Hasbro had shipped them in plain white mailer boxes like they did the Clone Wars Captain Rex nobody would be complaining when they received them with some shipping dents and creases but Hasbro printed the boxes to make it look more attractive in the spirit of the films and people are shocked to discover they don't arrive through USPS mint in their mailbox. If collecting the box was really so important to insure the collectibility of the figure inside they could have double boxed them but it would have been an environmentally wasteful and costly move on Hasbro's part. They can't win either way. So what do you propose, that they go back to generic plain white boxes on future (if the line survives that is) figure mail-ins?

Some peoples' figures were straight up ruined. The boxes were cheap. Thats my big beef. Trying to get the figure out of the box was pretty tough with how mangled the box was. I sent away for a Moss Man exclusive and it came with its own box and the mailer. Most people keep the mailer because it had Masters of The Universe and Moss Man written all over it.

I miss the good old days when mail-away figures just came in little plastic baggies inside of a white mailer carton. Now everybody expects everything to be minty mint AFA collectible grade. Look, it's a mail-away figure, not Fortune and Glory, kid. I used to get excited as a kid having to collect proof-of-purchase seals and flag points to send away for that "special" figure and the day it showed up in my mailbox I was jumping for joy and promptly tore open the box and ripped open the bag to get the figure out. I think collectors have lost sight over what collecting is really all about. It's about having FUN, not worrying about how much something is going to be worth because the truth is that if you're collecting for monetary value you're in the wrong business and you're never going to get rich off this stuff. You might as well become a stock broker or a real-estate speculator The market is too oversaturated with the most overused marketing catch-phrase of all, "Limited Collectors Editions" and truth be told that don't mean Jack. You can't have it all and all you can do is just have fun and enjoy what you have. If your figure arrived completely destroyed that sucks but it is rare. Most arrive with just some common dings to the outer boxes and you have to expect that. If you got one in a pristine box, good for you. You're either a lucky SOB or a total fool who will go and pay AFA $100 to grade it a precious 9.5 or something to make you believe that it is worth some ridiculously inflated amount when the reality is that it is purely a speculative amount that some idiot might pay because they ignorantly buy in to that B.S.

Dr._Jones_Jr.

I sent away for the invisible predator back in the day. 3 proofs or purchase and $4.99 s/h. It came in a little box and inside it was packaged in just a bag. They did send me the wrong weapons though. Mail-aways should be fun if they get them right.

I have that mail-away invisio Predator. At least mine came with the right accessories. I still have my mail-away Ceremonial Belloq. One of my favorite mail-aways ever.

Benraianajones

I wish I was around when collecting tended to be more simple and fun as opposed to what Spalko described above (all this AFA garbage). I actually use to collect the vintage Star Wars figures, and had nearly all of them. I paid lots of money for a Yak Face figure back then! I did manage to get all my money back when I sold them all on Ebay cause I needed the money.

If I won the lottery I'd happily buy them all again on cards for the fun of it, for display reasons. Then some duplicates out of the boxes as well. My brother told me he mailed away for Neium Numb ages ago when Kenner released the figures originally.