Raiders in Concert: Screenings with Live Orchestra

IAdventurer01

jrohrba1 said:
Just seeing people play the Desert Chase was worth it to me.

I kept needing to remind myself to look at the orchestra once in a while, but for the Desert Chase I was pretty captivated on the screen!

It was probably due to it being the beginning of the film, but personally I had the most fun watching the percussionists in the Peru opening. Lots of fun instrumentation there, and the clarity of it really made that opening come alive.

AndyLGR

What is the format of these shows? Is it the complete film being shown and the orchestra play along?

jrohrba1

AndyLGR said:
What is the format of these shows? Is it the complete film being shown and the orchestra play along?

Yeah, they played the whole film, but took a break half way for an intermission.

Goonie

Raiders - Movie with Live Orchestra - Calgary

Treating myself to this next weekend:
http://calgaryphil.com/event/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-original-film-with-orchestra/2017-05-19/

IMG_20170514_190857316_zpsnyhdrckh.jpg

Should be great.(y) Anyone else go to one of these screenings with a live orchestra?

Stoo

Goonie said:
Should be great.(y) Anyone else go to one of these screenings with a live orchestra?
Hey Goonie,

How's it goin', eh? :) The world premiere was in Switzerland in December 2015 and I went to one of the 1st shows. 'Twas an excellent experience. You're going to have a great time!

If you can, PLEASE film the part where Jock says, "Aw, come on. Show a little backbone, will ya?" and send it to me (or upload it) because it's different. Please, please please! :whip:

There's actually a thread about this already:
Raiders in Concert: 21st Century Symphony Orchestra

(Maybe the threads could be merged with the title changed to "Raiders in Concert - Movie with Live Orchestra" or something similar?)

Goonie

Had a blast tonight! And the Jubilee was sold-out. Another show tomorrow at 2pm if anyone is in town.

18595273_10155092642880837_6447771084468579249_o_zpsxofooiol.jpg

Stoo, unfortunately I didn't capture that bit, but I see what you mean. Jock's line delivery was slightly different.

micsteam

Does anybody know the remaining 2017 schedule for Raiders in Concert ?? All I've been able to come up with is the Hollywood Bowl 8/4 and 8/5. Thanks !

Attila the Professor

Staff member
micsteam said:
Does anybody know the remaining 2017 schedule for Raiders in Concert ?? All I've been able to come up with is the Hollywood Bowl 8/4 and 8/5. Thanks !

Not sure if there are any presentations of such under a different name, but here's a list.

Stoo

jrohrba1 said:
The differences in the film at the concert and the actual finished film is what surprised me the most.
Hi, jrohrba1. Welcome to The Raven! :hat:

Great first posts! Thanks for the list of differences that you spotted because you certainly noticed more than I or anyone else did. Good job! Interesting that you heard the extra dialogue when Indy is under the truck because it was also included on some American TV broadcasts in the '90s and early 2000s.

For more on that, see this thread:
Special Edition Truck Chase? starting at post #151.

micsteam said:
It played in Boca Raton in March 2016. Guess you missed it? Too bad because that's like, what, 45 minutes away from you by car. :(

micsteam

Hey Stoo, yeah I missed it in Boca Raton because it wasn't even listed on their docket !! I know they did something but it wasn't at all like what they did in other cities, MHO it was a half ass attempt but I did make an effort to go. I'm at the point that I will fly to another city to see it. I'm keeping hope alive to see it somewhere !! :hat:

TheFedora

It looks like I'm going to the Hollywood Bowl concert as I got an invitation. I think I'm going to accept, as last time I went to something like this for the 'Lost' soundtrack it was really good.

Sea Monarch

Man, So Many Choices this Year!! U2, Toto, Paul McCartney and now this!! I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see them ALL!! HOPE I CAN! Wish I lived in L.A. now as it would make it easier to catch. On the other hand, it's a good thing I don't yet, since, after viewing the upcoming bookings for The Hollywood Bowl, I could be easily tempted to go every other week!! That would get spendy, Quick! :)

Zucot

EDIT looks like indybanzai noticed a lot of the same little quirks!

I saw the show at the hollywood bowl last night. Some things I noticed:

Jock's lines sounded really weird. Has anyone noticed this before? Are there multiple versions of his audio or something?

They skipped part of a scene! Intermission started right when they were digging for the well of the souls. When they started again, they skipped the whole sequence with the diggers singing and went right them finding the slab that they pry open.

This version had the "do they think im dumb" line in the truck sequence.

Hoping someone knows more about the Jock line. I had never noticed that before.

TheFedora

Zucot said:
EDIT looks like indybanzai noticed a lot of the same little quirks!

I saw the show at the hollywood bowl last night. Some things I noticed:

Jock's lines sounded really weird. Has anyone noticed this before? Are there multiple versions of his audio or something?

They skipped part of a scene! Intermission started right when they were digging for the well of the souls. When they started again, they skipped the whole sequence with the diggers singing and went right them finding the slab that they pry open.

This version had the "do they think im dumb" line in the truck sequence.

Hoping someone knows more about the Jock line. I had never noticed that before.

I was going to go to this but then things fell through and I didnt end up going after all.:( Yeah it seems fun for these that went though.

litemakr

Alternate Sound Mix

For those that might be interested, this is the story behind the alternate mix from Ben Burtt. I asked him about it in person around 20 years ago after I heard the alternate mix at a 16mm screening.

The mix was intended to be the final mix and was also intended to be presented in the Vistasonic format (that's a whole other story). But Lucas went in at the last minute and heavily cut down the opening of the ark scene. The sequence already had completed effects and musical score, but he felt that it needed to move faster. So he removed some shots and cut many others to be very short, particularly the ghost effects. That's why the music for the scene is heavily edited in the final film. If you are interested in hearing the complete scene, you can hear in on the Movie on Record which was released in 1981. That record also has other alternate bits of music, dialogue and sound effects.

Here's the ark opening scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1cFyocLs5M

Since the ark opening scene was re-edited so late in the schedule, the sound was hastily re-edited to match the new cut. This resulted in some sloppy music and sound effects editing. Time was short, so that mix was used to create stems for foreign language mixes and mixes for some Super 8mm and 16mm prints.

However, once John Williams saw how they had butchered his music in the ark opening scene, he asked for a remix so they could edit the music more to his liking. It was also decided at the last minute not to use the Vistasonic process and go with Dolby instead. So Ben Burtt took the opportunity to revise the entire mix, resulting in the more polished mix we are familiar with.

That new mix was completed very close to release, so it was only used on prints for the English release. The foreign dubs all used the music and sound effects stems from the earlier mix. You can hear some of those mixes on the DVD and blu-ray. You won't hear the alternate dialogue of course, but you can hear the alternate sound effects and music edits. Compare the ark opening scene in particular to hear huge differences in music editing, sound effects, even different screams.

It seems that the earlier mix is the only one which has stems available (for dialogue, music and sound effects). So that mix was used for the making of specials on the DVD and Blu-ray, and was also used for the recent orchestral screenings (because they only needed the dialogue and sound effects tracks). However, the orchestra plays the music as it was edited in the final English sound mix, not the alternate mix.

I have a Super 8mm print of Raiders with the alternate soundtrack if anyone is interested. It is 16 minute cut down version. There are also some 16mm prints out there with the alternate mix. And supposedly TBS once showed the movie with the alternate mix, but I have never been able to verify that.

Incidentally, the original 35mm 4 track mix has never been released on home video. All home video versions have used remixes, some derived from the 70mm 6 track mix.

Last edited: