Indy Biters....riding on the Indy release! (Welcome back Allan Quatermain!)

Stoo

Someone named Sean Cameron Micheal. Click on the link in the 4th post.
There is more information there...

re: "The Librarian" movies
Knock-offs/rip-offs? Yes. Biters? No.

Paden

roundshort said:
More of a Star Wars rip, but anyone see Megaforce?
Haven't thought of that one in a long time. I was another of those kids that ran to the theater to see it, along with anything else that looked vaguely sci-fi. Gotta love the flying motorcycles.

The early eighties had a plentitude of horrific sci-fi flicks. Another one that came to mind in thinking of Megaforce was Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn (in 3-D!) One great aspect of that flick is the fact that even the title is bad. Jared-Syn is the main villain of the movie, but he's never destroyed. He actually escapes at the end of the climactic battle scene. :)

Stoo

I take it as an inferior product released to coincide with something popular and
packaged/marketed in a certain fashion so that we (the biters) take the bait.
Since there was no current Indy product when "The Librarian" movies came out,
I don't think they fall into the category. (That's the way I look at it, anyway).

Yoda?

P.S. Paden, "Metalstorm"!!!! Oh my Gawd, forgot all about that one! We used to
laugh about it for years. The title alone is funny enough, as it is!:D

roundshort

Stoo said:
"The Black Hole"

Ah the Black Hole . . .That brings back memories! I was a young pup when this came out, maybe 6 or 7. That Christmas the fam took a trip Walt Disney World. As was the practice Disney made a huge deal everytime it released a movie (Remember this was before they owned their own studios etc, so a movie, live action or otherwise was a big deal). They had cool scenes form the movies in all the main street shops windows. Well, it really built anticipation to see the movie. As a kid, I really, I mean really wanted to like this movie . . .but in the end . . .well, what can I say

Stoo

yodazone said:
"From The Story That Inspired Indiana Jones"....amazing.....

Just minus the Steven Spielberg, Harrison Ford & George Lucas.....and John Williams music....
The link you provided states that it's the story of "King Solomon's Mines" (again)
so that description may not be too far off. However, there are biplanes on the poster
which indicate a forward shift in the time setting (as in the R.Chamberlain versions).
-Jones- said:
I've seen the trailer of this piece of s***... I... I... I... just forget it...
Where did you see the trailer?:confused:
yodazone said:
Another "Indy" connection to "Alan Quartermain" was that Sean Connery played that character in "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" too.

Though with better special effects than this latest "Asylum" movie has....
Although I like the idea of resurrecting Quatermain (and Nemo), that film is terrible...
Haven't read the comics though...

In a Allan Quatermain film, effects shouldn't really be a matter of concern.
roundshort said:
Ah the Black Hole . . .That brings back memories! I was a young pup when this came out, maybe 6 or 7. That Christmas the fam took a trip Walt Disney World. As was the practice Disney made a huge deal everytime it released a movie (Remember this was before they owned their own studios etc, so a movie, live action or otherwise was a big deal). They had cool scenes form the movies in all the main street shops windows. Well, it really built anticipation to see the movie. As a kid, I really, I mean really wanted to like this movie . . .but in the end . . .well, what can I say
My 1st time at Walt Disney World in Florida was '78.
The upcoming Disney movies were all sci-fi related:

"Return to Witch Mountain"
"Cat From Outer Space"
"Unidentified Flying Oddball"

...but there was no promotional stuff (as I recall). 1982 was a different story.
Months before the movie came out, there was TRON merchandise everywhere!

As for "The Black Hole"...I've always been attracted to the Jule Verne-ish story
It's kind of like, "20,000 Lightyears Under the Sea in Space".
Paden said:
Gotta love the flying motorcycles.

The early eighties had a plentitude of horrific sci-fi flicks. Another one that came to mind in thinking of Megaforce was Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn (in 3-D!) One great aspect of that flick is the fact that even the title is bad. Jared-Syn is the main villain of the movie, but he's never destroyed. He actually escapes at the end of the climactic battle scene.
The "Metalstorm" comments really making me laugh, Paden!
Yes, there were some cool vehicles in "Megaforce".
Do you remember the flying motorcycles in "Galactica 1980"?

Yes, Paden, I was also going to bring up:
"Spacehunter: Adventuers in the Forbidden Zone"
"The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension"
herr gurber said:
How about the Mel Brooks produced Solarbabies.
Mel Brooks produced it? I did not know that.
Lukas Haas (from "Witness") is in it!

Last edited:

PhantomStranger

Once a month, I get together with a group of friends and we watch bad movies and make fun of them (think "MST3K") and we usually pick a theme for the night.
I think we may just have to have a "Alan Quartermain" night and have this film as the nights finale.

Stoo said:
Mel Brooks produced it? I did not know that.
Lukas Haas (from "Witness") is in it!

Coincidentally, on an Indy theme, Alexei Sayle is in it also. A career decision I'm sure he regrets! That film really stinks on an expert level.
Rollerskating futureboys ahoy!

indyjones007

a list of 80's indy knock-offs i like

1. king solomon mines & allan quatermain and the lost city of gold. sharon stone never looked hotter than in these films, and the 2nd one has cassandra peterson(elvria, mistress of the dark.) in a small role.

2. firewalker. it stars the great chuck norris, has some great chemistery between the leads, you really beleve they are best friends. some great back and forth witty banter, and melody anderson, who was also dale arden in the 80's flash gorden movie, is just super pretty.

3.gwendoline. i think originaly it was called gwendoline and the pearls of yik yak? but the uncut/driectors verison on dvd is just gwendoline. the main indiana jones type hero is very, very cool, and the girl who hires him to find her dad is none other than tawny kitaen, who was the girl on top of the car in the whitesnake video, here i go again.

anyway, there's probally tons more, but those are my faves.

|ZiR|

I hadn't heard of the latter two films. Gwendoline sounds like high camp, ala Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy. And Firewalker sounds awesomely bad. I'm totally gonna have to check both of these movies out now. Thanks. (y)

whipcracker666

|ZiR| said:
I hadn't heard of the latter two films. Gwendoline sounds like high camp, ala Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy. And Firewalker sounds awesomely bad. I'm totally gonna have to check both of these movies out now. Thanks. (y)

speaking of Barbarella, does anybody know where I can find a copy of that movie. Thats on my list of older movies I really want to see but can't seem to find anywhere.

Ska

indyjones007 said:
3.gwendoline. i think originaly it was called gwendoline and the pearls of yik yak? but the uncut/driectors verison on dvd is just gwendoline. the main indiana jones type hero is very, very cool, and the girl who hires him to find her dad is none other than tawny kitaen, who was the girl on top of the car in the whitesnake video, here i go again.

The original was called The Pearls of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak.

You actually enjoyed this movie? ;)

Ska

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDv0aptaj24&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDv0aptaj24&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Anyone know when this will be on?

Stoo

Thanks for posting that SKA! The very, last shot brought a smile to my face.
Looks half-decent. Can't wait!

Michael24

Those were some of the worst gunshot sound effects I've ever heard. Sounded more like punches. And that music! That music at the end sounds so familiar. I've heard it in another movie, but I can't place it.

herr gruber said:
How about the Mel Brooks produced Solarbabies. A rip off of Mad Max proportions!

I didn't know Mel Brooks produced that. My brother and I used to rent that one all the time.

Paden said:
Stoo, here's another that might evoke a memory or two, though it doesn't quite match the hilarity of Metalstorm:

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone

I love Spacehunter! Great soundtrack by Elmer Bernstein, too. It was actually the #1 movie at the box office until Return of the Jedi opened a week later.

Ska

Nope...haven't seen it yet.

I'll have to make a run down to the video store after work to see if they have it.

I forgot all about it...thanks for the reminder, Stoo!