TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan
 
Forbidden Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: With the Treasure of Mara...
Posts: 972
What Should The Creature Be?

The previous movies gave us snakes, bugs, rats and...more bugs. For Indy 5, what should the main creppy creature be?

Any B-movies from the 60s that could be used as inspiration the same way The Naked Jungle inspired ants for Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull? We've expressed desire to revisit Asia, or make a detour to Antarctica. Any ideas besides something outlandish like killer pandas or polar bears?
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Demi-Lune
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 5
Scorpions? Bats? Spiders (too close to bugs maybe)?

If they had an underwater scene, jellyfish. I've gone swimming once in an environment that was crawling with jellyfish and UGH.
Demi-Lune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
Udvarnoky
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,365
We've had scorpions (Crystal Skull), bats (Temple of Doom) and spiders (Raiders) already, but I love your jellyfish idea.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
curmudgeon
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 259
It's pretty dependent on where the films takes us.

There are some multi-continent creatures the films haven't used yet, for instance: bears, wild canines, amphibians, and fish.

Even though bats were in Temple of Doom, if any part of the movie gives us a haunted castle, I feel like they could be used again to nice effect.

Indy films haven't done much with the big cats (the circus train lion being the only significant one) and Asia hosts a at least a few types of leopards...
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Gear
IndyFan
 
Gear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon, U.S.
Posts: 2,001
There are some gnarly species of hornet to be found across the globe.
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 151
Killer bees sound like they could be appropriate. Or maybe Spielberg could do a Jaws reference and use killer sharks.
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Any B-movies from the 60s that could be used as inspiration the same way The Naked Jungle inspired ants for Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull?
"Sands of the Kalahari" (1965) has a huge swarm of locusts...and pack of vicious baboons.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
Hanselation
IndyFan
 
Hanselation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 339
Depending on the story location I would like to see
  • Leeches / Bloodsuckers
  • Maggots
  • Piranhas
Hanselation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #9
Kai Hagen
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 124


Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #10
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 151
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Any B-movies from the 60s that could be used as inspiration the same way The Naked Jungle inspired ants for Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull?
"Sands of the Kalahari" (1965) has a huge swarm of locusts...and pack of vicious baboons.

Depending on the nature of the artifact Indy is looking for, this could also have significance if a swarm of locusts was used particularly, as it has Biblical significance in relation to apocalyptic prophecies. (See Exodus 10, the book of Joel as well as Revelation 9.)
That might add an interesting dimension to the creature scene to have a greater tie-in to the overall quest.
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #11
Wilhelm
IndyFan
 
Wilhelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Berlin
Posts: 271
Giant mosquitoes.
Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,401
I was discussing this offline the other day. The sweet spot that really needs to be hit is something that is both creepy and threatening.

This renders lots of larger creatures, like bears, as somewhat off-model. I think if you want a mammal - other than bats, which are worth a second go - something like hyenas, which have the benefit of laughing and coming off as somewhat mangy, might be your best bet. Hyenas also have the benefit of living throughout much of Africa.

I suggested that things that swarm are pretty much overplayed, specifically as far as bugs are concerned. Maggots are a strong thought insofar as they're legitimately repulsive, but I'm not sure they seem immediately dangerous enough.

That said, bees and the like are worth considering, though also being territory somewhat owned by The Wicker Man remake. They do have the benefit of flying. I think wasps or hornets would be closer to the mark than bees, especially with bees being endangered.

I like Indyfan82's general idea of tying the creatures into the quest more, though as for locusts specifically, I'm not terribly keen on them going back to the Biblical well. Locusts would also, arguably, be re-trodding the agricultural devastation theme of Temple of Doom.

They've lost their chance on piranhas, I fear, having been to the Amazon in the most recent installment and not following through on that. That said, there's some indication that a scene with Mutt being bitten by a piranha was filmed and cut, so possibly the general idea of threatening fish is something they'd like to revisit.

Certainly, having the creature scene in the water would be offering a twist on it. Jellyfish is a compelling thought; so too are eels. Or anything in the cephalopod family, which, like most mammals, offers the possibility of working with a larger creepy creature. Possibly also some really threatening crustaceans.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:20 AM   #13
Raiders112390
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,731
This sort of sequence, if done right, might be cool. It would fill the creature quota and give a nod to Spielberg's past, while also making for an interesting action scene - again, if done right.

Indy & co are travelling by boat and and we see views of a shark swimming in the water around their boat and Indy's companion is nervous. Indy basically tells them to "relax, they don't attack unless they're hungry" or something - only to have the shark attack and Indy and his friend(s) have to fight it off and kill it. It'd be a short sequence, maybe ten minutes, but would fill the quota. Maybe have Indy, out of breath at the end of the sequence, brushing his hair back over his head and putting his fedora back on, say a little bitterly something along the lines of, "It's always somethin'"
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 552
I wonder if something like wolves should be the new creature. Say a particularly vicious pack or something thats guarding whatever ancient temple that they are going towards.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #15
Olliana
IndyFan
 
Olliana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 237
I just hope for something that's not all CG this time, or if so, that it looks believable and grounded in reality at least.
Wolves would be nice if they go for a snow-bound setting this time. They looked pretty convincing in the latest Jungle Book movie.

The only real threatening creepy crawlies so far were the snakes in ROTLA and the ants in KOTCS. The bugs in TOD were harmless on their own behalf, but they played brilliantly with the female character's phobia and her time pressure of getting past her fear to save the hero(es). I'd like to see something clever like that again.
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #16
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliana
I just hope for something that's not all CG this time, or if so, that it looks believable and grounded in reality at least.
Wolves would be nice if they go for a snow-bound setting this time. They looked pretty convincing in the latest Jungle Book movie.

The only real threatening creepy crawlies so far were the snakes in ROTLA and the ants in KOTCS. The bugs in TOD were harmless on their own behalf, but they played brilliantly with the female character's phobia and her time pressure of getting past her fear to save the hero(es). I'd like to see something clever like that again.

Yeah I do hope for a snow bound setting as well, aside from Nepal in Raiders, I don't think we've had snow bound settings at all. Also Uncharted 2 showed me that Snow bound settings can be pretty awesome done right. And yeah, in a pack, wolves would be very grounded.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan
 
WilliamBoyd8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 759
From "Raiders of the Lost Ark":



I'll see you again, Indy!

WilliamBoyd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #18
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliana
The only real threatening creepy crawlies so far were the snakes in ROTLA and the ants in KOTCS. The bugs in TOD were harmless on their own behalf, but they played brilliantly with the female character's phobia and her time pressure of getting past her fear to save the hero(es). I'd like to see something clever like that again.

I agree with how you broke that down, that the bugs largely depend on Willie's reaction to them, but I would say that they could have been dangerous, that is, poisonous, or simply disease carriers, as the rats presumably would have been. Though, yes, the rats bite and/or pull hair, which is more than we definitely see of the bugs.

Animals in packs are good, but wolves in particular have had a fair deal of mainstream exposure lately, between The Grey and both the Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast remakes.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #19
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I agree with how you broke that down, that the bugs largely depend on Willie's reaction to them, but I would say that they could have been dangerous, that is, poisonous, or simply disease carriers, as the rats presumably would have been. Though, yes, the rats bite and/or pull hair, which is more than we definitely see of the bugs.

Animals in packs are good, but wolves in particular have had a fair deal of mainstream exposure lately, between The Grey and both the Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast remakes.

So are you saying that wolves could be considered too overdone then to put in a Indy movie? More to the point I just brought that up since it seemed like an animal that you could easily have the hero kill one or two, and it will feel like a minor victory for the character, but then they might still prove an overwhelming threat
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #20
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
So are you saying that wolves could be considered too overdone then to put in a Indy movie? More to the point I just brought that up since it seemed like an animal that you could easily have the hero kill one or two, and it will feel like a minor victory for the character, but then they might still prove an overwhelming threat

That's my thought for the moment, yeah. There was an entire Liam Neeson film built around fighting them and all that.

But I think the rest of what you and Olliana said about wolves is on point, that they're A) different than what we've had before B) something that can be fought off, outsmarted, or evaded and C) from a different type of environment. They aren't particularly creepy or disgusting, which I think is part of the formula, but it could be pulled off. Still, for that type of animal, something canine or feline, I'd be intrigued by some kind of wild dog or hyena.

So I guess I'm pushing these guys?



Though this Wikipedia article on Man-Eaters suggests a real missed opportunity for Temple of Doom:

Quote:
Reports have been made of goonch catfish eating humans in the Kali River in India.[47] As seen on River Monsters, the wels catfish, piraíba, and the candiru-açu have also been known to potentially attack, kill, and eat people.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:48 PM   #21
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
That's my thought for the moment, yeah. There was an entire Liam Neeson film built around fighting them and all that.

But I think the rest of what you and Olliana said about wolves is on point, that they're A) different than what we've had before B) something that can be fought off, outsmarted, or evaded and C) from a different type of environment. They aren't particularly creepy or disgusting, which I think is part of the formula, but it could be pulled off. Still, for that type of animal, something canine or feline, I'd be intrigued by some kind of wild dog or hyena.

So I guess I'm pushing these guys?



Though this Wikipedia article on Man-Eaters suggests a real missed opportunity for Temple of Doom:
I listened to a few clips of Hyenas laughing. It really did make for an unsettling sound, and I can only just imagine a jungle scene where the first thing you hear is that around you but you don't know where its coming from. Striped Hyenas especially have the benefit of being widespread from Africa to India.

Also Hyenas have a pretty bad reputation in pop culture, mostly due to Lion King, but it could easily be pulled off I think.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #22
IndyBuff
IndyFan
 
IndyBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear
There are some gnarly species of hornet to be found across the globe.

I've always thought that large wasps or hornets would make for a cool and different menace.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #23
Indyfan82
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 151
Quote:
I like Indyfan82's general idea of tying the creatures into the quest more, though as for locusts specifically, I'm not terribly keen on them going back to the Biblical well. Locusts would also, arguably, be re-trodding the agricultural devastation theme of Temple of Doom.
Thanks. And yeah- that's a good point about the devastation in Temple of Doom.
I realize the movies have done artifacts tied to The Bible already- the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail of Christ. I personally don't mind if more Biblical themes are drawn on- but I'm also fine with other religions and beliefs drawn upon- there are certainly other cultures and faiths that have yet to be tapped for the movies. Hinduism has been covered in TOD and KOTCS covered Inca beliefs.
Perhaps scorpions would work? That could tie in to Egyptian gods and goddesses.
(Of course, the setting of the movie and the artifact in question would determine the appropriate creature to use, if the movie wanted to tie that scene together.) If not, it should still be included with some sort of appropriate creature just for the formulaic tradition's sake anyway.

I like the concept of an underwater creature- jellyfish or piranha would be interesting, for sure.
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:08 AM   #24
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 7,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
...aside from Nepal in Raiders, I don't think we've had snow bound settings at all.
"I don't think"

Have you ever seen "Temple of Doom"? (or "Mystery of the Blues)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Also Uncharted 2 showed me that Snow bound settings can be pretty awesome done right. And yeah, in a pack, wolves would be very grounded.
"Grounded"? If you're into wolf packs, check out "The Trap" (1966)* with the great, Oliver Reed. His leg gets caught in his own trap and he has to fight off wolves for the last half of the movie. It's intense!

*Forbidden Eye was asking for '60s flicks so consider this another one.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #25
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
"I don't think"

Have you ever seen "Temple of Doom"? (or "Mystery of the Blues)?
"Grounded"? If you're into wolf packs, check out "The Trap" (1966)* with the great, Oliver Reed. His leg gets caught in his own trap and he has to fight off wolves for the last half of the movie. It's intense!

*Forbidden Eye was asking for '60s flicks so consider this another one.

I mean for the majority of Temple we don't spend it in the snow at all. Besides the airplane scene in Temple.

(And I never finished Young Indiana Jones)

All right, I will have to check that movie, that sounds pretty intense!
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.