The Complete Making of Indiana Jones

Indy fan 235

No Ticket said:
That looks pretty awesome. I'll definitely be buying that book! Reminds me of a book I used to have of the Lucasfilm Archives that was split into star wars and Indiana Jones. ... I wonder where that went? :(

That is a great book!

As for the Indy book I can't wait to get this. I'll be buying mine on Friday!

Arab Swordsman

I was out at lunch and saw the book...it is amazing! I forgot my book coupons so I didn't buy it but I glanced through it and I couldn't see anything that was left out. It had sections on all 4 movies and some of the neat things I saw was the whole cut fight with the Swordsman from Raiders in there as stills, pictures of the weapons, behind the scenes info on what went on before the movies even began filming, etc. I'm running home to get my coupons then going out to pick it up.

Stoo

Just picked this up at Indigo Books in Montreal for $40.00 CAN.
Great book! 300 pages packed with info, photos, artwork...(y)
Now Ihave to try and keep my nose out of the "Cyrstal Skull" section!

ATMachine

Really fascinating. One tidbit that jumped out at me during a quick skim is that after Lucas vetoed Frank Darabont's Indy IV script he started revising it himself, changing the title to Indiana Jones and the Phantom City of the Gods. (!!)

Personally I never want to see the word Phantom in the title of any George Lucas movie ever again. Scary sign that he seems to rather like it....

phantom train

Picked this up yesterday @ Borders - Incredible. I haven't had a chance to read everything, but I skimmed through most of it and enjoyed a lot of the pictures/drawings. My understanding is that most of the behind-the-scenes info. in this book is all new, and it looks it, since I haven't seen most of it before.

Some initial observations:

- There is a lot of space spent on "Raiders" - great, since this is the best film, IMHO.

- The artwork/production paintings available in the "Raiders" section was fantastic - The Jim Steranko production paintings are especially cool - I had seen one of these before (of Indy standing in the desert), but none of the others.

- There is a surprising amount of space devoted to the upcoming KOTCS - interesting, since the film isn't officially out yet.

jtobin13

cameos

If I don't make the cut of the film as cowboy then maybe my mug will be in book as Ss took a photo of me on set...jt

The Tingler

ATMachine said:
Really fascinating. One tidbit that jumped out at me during a quick skim is that after Lucas vetoed Frank Darabont's Indy IV script he started revising it himself, changing the title to Indiana Jones and the Phantom City of the Gods. (!!)

Personally I never want to see the word Phantom in the title of any George Lucas movie ever again. Scary sign that he seems to rather like it....
Stop it, you're scaring me too! What I don't understand is why they didn't just keep Frank Darabont as writer and ask him to make the changes they wanted? Instead of hiring a whole new writer? Indy IV would've been here in 2006 probably if they'd done that!

Got mine from Amazon today, and just like the "Star Wars"-one this one is fantastic as well. Tons and tons of great pictures (a lot of which I've never seen before, like poster-sketches by Drew Struzan), letters, notes and whatnot. I've avoided the "Crystal Skull"-section for now, since I'm finally gonna see the movie in about 18 hours, but although I would've preferred one book per film (as it's going to happen with the "Star Wars"-movies) this is probably the best look behind the scenes of the movies there's ever gonna be.

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
Just picked this up at Indigo Books in Montreal for $40.00 CAN.
Great book! 300 pages packed with info, photos, artwork...(y)
Now Ihave to try and keep my nose out of the "Cyrstal Skull" section!

Is there any YIJC content? Is it covered at all?

Adamwankenobi said:
Is there any YIJC content? Is it covered at all?

There's only a few lines about it bridging the "Crusade" and "Skull"-chapters (and a small photo of Ford talking to Lucas on his Young Indy cameo-shoot)... but as I don't want to read any further, there might be more coming... though I doubt it.

ATMachine

There's a bit in the Raiders section showing a photo of a cut scene, which made it into the novelization. As Indy and Marcus are leaving Indy's classroom, they meet a student named Susan (played by Pola Churchill) who asks for a private conference with Dr. Jones.

Now, Susan is the female student who was at Indy's house in the infamous alternate version of the scene taking place there. So it's my guess that indeed, both versions of the Marcus-visiting-Indy scene were filmed, though only one made it to the screen. Larry Kasdan claimed in a recent interview that only one version was shot, but I'd guess based on the photo evidence that he was simply misinformed.

Dr. Gonzo

Would anyone who has this book care to elaborate on the progression of "skull" scripts? Darabont's, Nathanson's etc.?

Bowie Fett

Dr. Gonzo said:
Would anyone who has this book care to elaborate on the progression of "skull" scripts? Darabont's, Nathanson's etc.?

Sure, no problem. They do not go into detail on each version and do not say much about Darabont's script. From what I can remember...

1. A story about Indy meeting and helping an alien survive on earth (E.T.???).

2. A story closer to KOTCS which had Indy involves with a new love interest and a daughter.

3. Darabont's script was close to the previous storyline but included Marion.

Does anyone else remember more info?

:whip:

Matthew

ATMachine said:
There's a bit in the Raiders section showing a photo of a cut scene, which made it into the novelization. As Indy and Marcus are leaving Indy's classroom, they meet a student named Susan (played by Pola Churchill) who asks for a private conference with Dr. Jones.

Now, Susan is the female student who was at Indy's house in the infamous alternate version of the scene taking place there. So it's my guess that indeed, both versions of the Marcus-visiting-Indy scene were filmed, though only one made it to the screen. Larry Kasdan claimed in a recent interview that only one version was shot, but I'd guess based on the photo evidence that he was simply misinformed.
Infamous? I've never heard a peep about this, I'm extremely intrigued! Is this the student with "love you" on her lids? No wonder it was cut, that would just interrupt the flow but nevertheless very interested in how Indy would handle this!

ATMachine

Matthew said:
Infamous? I've never heard a peep about this, I'm extremely intrigued! Is this the student with "love you" on her lids? No wonder it was cut, that would just interrupt the flow but nevertheless very interested in how Indy would handle this!
No, she's a different student. The implication of the scene at Indy's house was that Indy was getting it on with some of his female students; it was apparently George Lucas's idea and Lawrence Kasdan wrote it in under duress. It wasn't used in the final cut of the film, though I've heard people claim the scene was in a TV showing once back in the 80s.

Michael24

Just ordered this and am looking forward to digging in. My dad got a Barnes & Noble gift card at work, but couldn't find anything to use it for, so he gave it me and I ordered this, The Lost Journal, and the KOTCS soundtrack on B&N.com this morning.

On a side note: does anybody know when Rinzler's "Making of" volumes on The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are planned to come out? I recall reading there were plans to have volumes for all three, and I loved the first one.

TalonCard

Matthew said:

That would allow him to date this find as he has. ;)

TC

Way of the dodo

It's a good book although it has lots of stuff that's just transcripts from the dvd interviews from 4 years ago. Thought that was kind of lame.