Mac = Remy

Adamwankenobi

Upon watching the flm the other guy, Mac reminded me of Remy in a way (along with Sallah and Belloq of course). It made me wonder if, had Ronny Couterre lived (RIP), he would have been asked to reprise his role for KOTCS. Even though he and Indy went their spearate ways in "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye", I can see them teamng up again for WWII. Mac's a cool character, but it's too bad we'll never see Remy again. :(

Dr.Sartorius

Except wouldn't Remy be like in his 70s (in 1957)? And no one except the diehards would even know he was from the TV show.

Dr.Sartorius

But wouldn't a main reason for having Remy return be that audiences would remember him from Indy's past adventures?

Erik Pflueger

Remy Baudouin was born in 1886. He would have been seventy-one years old in this picture. He could never have kept up in World War II in the same capacity as Mac would have. Nor would there have been a need for him to: I believe he would do what he did during the previous war - work as a contact for spies behind the scenes in German-occupied Belgium.

Besides, I would have a much harder time believing Remy would sell out to the Reds for anything, than I would a new blank-slate character. Even if he never found the Eye of the Peacock, he would never have been so strapped for cash that roubles would appeal to him.

Adamwankenobi

Hawkeye said:
Mac wasn't ever a part of the TV show. Remy's appearance would hinge on audiences actually seeing the TV show.

No it wouldn't. With Mac, we hear all of these references to things he and Indy did in the past, yet we never see them. If Remy could have been in the film instead, we would still have a lot of references, but we would be able to see some of them by watching the TV series. (y)

See what I mean? There's no difference between the two in that way.

Last edited:

Stoo

Erik Pflueger said:
Remy Baudouin was born in 1886.
Hi, Erik. Welcome to The Raven!:hat:
Tupogirl and I were recently discussing Remy's age. Where did you get this date from?

Last edited:

Avilos

Adamwankenobi said:
Now it wouldn't. With Mac, we hear all of these references to things he an Indy did in the past, yet we never see them. If Remy could have been in the film instead, we would still have a lot of references, but we would be able to see some of them by watching the TV series. (y)

See what I mean? There's no difference between the two in that way.

I agree. Most people who see the film will have no idea that the Poncho Villa story was from the TV show. They won't need to know that to understand.

Considering an older Indy is played by another actor( of course! ;) ) they could have recast Remy.

On Mac, the costume designer says that his clothes were based on Ernest Hemingway. Which is ironic considering Indy knew Hemingway!

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:
On Mac, the costume designer says that his clothes were based on Ernest Hemingway. Which is ironic considering Indy knew Hemingway!

Yeah, I saw that in the press release. I wonder if that was Lucas' idea?

Erik Pflueger

Stoo,

I got the date from two sources. The Luceno adaptation The Mata Hari Affair stated he was thirty-five in September 1916, making his birthdate roughly 1885. Luceno's book for DK, the Ultimate Guide, specifies this and placed Remy's birth on 16 May 1886.

Avilos

Lucas is not too big on turning Characters we always have known as "Good Guys" into "Bad Guys". Anakin was an exception and we saw him as Vader first. I don't see him turning Remy, a long time friend of Indy's, against him. The fans like him too much to see him betray Indy.

Last edited:

Stoo

Erik Pflueger said:
Stoo,

I got the date from two sources. The Luceno adaptation The Mata Hari Affair stated he was thirty-five in September 1916, making his birthdate roughly 1885. Luceno's book for DK, the Ultimate Guide, specifies this and placed Remy's birth on 16 May 1886.
Thanks! There's something wrong with the math, though. 1916 minus 35 = 1881.
So, the authour is referencing his own work and he doesn't match the dates.:confused:
(Will be getting the DK book tomorrow.)

It would be interesting to know if Mac and Remy ever met each other during WII.

tupogirl

I totally thought Mac was in the novels. I haven't reread them yet though.

So I wasn't too far off at guessing Remy's age at 40, then joking he was playing a character 10 years younger like Sean. Bwahaha.

robweiner8

I don't really see Remy ever turning out evil. He may be somewhat greedy in TotPE but I doubt he would ever double cross Indy/become a communist/steal artifacts for $

Erik Pflueger

Actually, Stoo, you may want to keep bagging on Luceno anyway. His choice of May 1886 means an inconsistency. It would mean that Remy was midway through his thirtieth year in September 1916, not his thirty-first. Oops.

Indy's Fist

Mac was more like Sapito from Raiders. I don't know why Indy bothered to try saving Mac at the end. He was no better than Donovan.

Stoo

Erik Pflueger said:
Actually, Stoo, you may want to keep bagging on Luceno anyway. His choice of May 1886 means an inconsistency. It would mean that Remy was midway through his thirtieth year in September 1916, not his thirty-first. Oops.
I was just going to mention that!;) Please tell me, does he also spell Beaudoin incorrectly, too?

Erik Pflueger said:
Remy Baudouin was born in 1886. He would have been seventy-one years old in this picture. He could never have kept up in World War II in the same capacity as Mac would have. Nor would there have been a need for him to: I believe he would do what he did during the previous war - work as a contact for spies behind the scenes in German-occupied Belgium.
True. Even though he volunteered, he obviously began to hate combat and was much happier concentrating
his efforts as a spy/restaurant manager. So, within the span of a few years, Remy's character changes.
robweiner8 said:
I don't really see Remy ever turning out evil. He may be somewhat greedy in TotPE but I doubt he would ever double cross Indy/become a communist/steal artifacts for $
Neither do I. Remy is seen as being extremely faithful to Indy. No matter how enraged he gets,
he never ditches Indy even though there are so many opportunities to do so.
However, people can change...
Indy's FIst said:
Mac was more like Sapito from Raiders. I don't know why Indy bothered to try saving Mac at the end. He was no better than Donovan.
The difference with Mac, though, is that he had a history with Indy. Great screen name, Indy's Fist!

Any idea how old Mac is?