Never Cry Wolf

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Cool movie, with aerial and snow shots (especially in clip 1) that look better than Temple of Doom, which came out a year later. There's also a scene in clip 4 where he's trapped under the ice and has to swim back to the bottom for his shotgun.

When I was a kid this movie was a favorite of mine,it was different from all the other films I liked,it struck a chord in me that resonated in a similar way that INTO THE WILD did, a longing for escape from the norm. I always would be anxious for the scene when he eats the rat,that was so bad ass for me as a kid to see this guy bite the head off of a rodent,my parents thought that film was educational for me to watch,sweet.:)

Indy's brother

ninepinejones said:
that was so bad ass for me as a kid to see this guy bite the head off of a rodent,my parents thought that film was educational for me to watch,sweet.:)

I have that exact same childhood memory! That is, the feelings, the parents, etc. Not eating mice. I just caught this film on the "WE" channel, which I thought was kind of odd. Most of the film still holds up pretty well, added bonus: I watched it with my dad, in his living room, just like the last time I saw it twenty-something years ago. Man, that Brian Dennehy is an absolute scream in the beginning!

Stoo

Moedred said:
There's also a scene in clip 4 where he's trapped under the ice and has to swim back to the bottom for his shotgun.
I remember that scene and it's my favourite part. Terrifying!:eek: The photography in this film is absolutely superb
and (in addition to the story) makes it well-worth watching. When I saw it the theatre, everyone freaked during
the mice-eating scene. Charles Martin Smith is perfect in the role because...

Some may not know but it's based on the "semi-autobiographical" novel by one of Canada's most known authours,
Farley Mowat. "Never Cry Wolf" is probably his most famous book but the story is supposedly an embellished truth.
Another one of his books was made into a film, "A Whale for the Killing", in the early '70s and he also gave his dog,
MUTT, his own story in "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be". (As you can tell, he likes
writing about animals.)

P.S. I agree with Indy's Brother about Brain Dennehy, who is great in just about everything he does.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
gave his dog, MUTT, his own story in "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be".
Published 1957... interesting!
Though I still suspect the name harkens to the funny papers (Mutt and Jeff, Lil' Abner, etc.)