Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Insomniac

indyjones2131 said:
EvilDevo, I'd wager it's guys like you that keep Lucas cranking out pure crap. So long as it has the Indy name on it, you'll just be excited - regardless of quality or what might have been.

Some of us out here actually want a QUALITY Indy game, like the one that was teased to us three years ago.

Understand that?
NO!!!
What makes you think it's crap!:confused:

Dr.Sartorius

I know that the management at LEC is most likely filled with idiots, but I don't believe even they are dumb enough to publish a PC game based on yesterday's tech.

Well Lucasarts did that with Infernal Machine, didn't they? I mean that game wasn't exactly state of the art when it came out.

QBComics

EvilDevo said:
Graphics whores, silence!

Seriously... so much whining on this forum. It's sickening. You're all getting a new Indiana Jones game that could very well have been canceled completely. ENJOY IT. BE GLAD YOU'RE GETTING ANYTHING AT ALL. With the economy the way it is, this is to be expected. Did we see this coming? Yes. Does it suck? Yes. Will Indiana Jones ever return again to the land of video games? YES. DOUBLE YES. We will eventually see an Indy game that is 10X the game this one could have been. On PS4 ... Xbox 1080... etc. CALM DOWN. Let's face it... Indy isn't popular. It's simple economics. Why spend so much creating a game that just won't sell all that well?

You're right, this game won't have the best graphics IN ALL TEH REAL TIME CG LANDS. I guess we better stop playing every other Indy game out there while we're at it. Gross. Look at those graphics. Terrible. WHERE TESE MADE BY A 2 YEARS OLD?!

You fair weather children need to grow up. Indy is back in video game form. It could very well be the best Wii/PS2 game you've ever played... but because it doesn't have trophy support... WRITE IT OFF. F THAT. NO WAY.

For the moment, I hate you. Why? Because you're right... :(

Finn

Staff member
Dr.Sartorius said:
Well Lucasarts did that with Infernal Machine, didn't they? I mean that game wasn't exactly state of the art when it came out.
I wouldn't call it outdated either. Besides, IM was specifically developed for PC. And to be honest, the technology used for IM wasn't that old at all. It ran on Sith game engine which saw its debut with Jedi Knight only two years earlier. The fact that IM felt stiff and outdated was that Sith was more of a FPS engine and not really designed for the type of game IM was.

SoK PC would be a port, and a port based on genuinely older tech since the modern versions got canned. And due to that there are numerous reasons for why it's not going to happen.

It was a nice and hopeful analogy, but the situations with SoK and IM are far from comparable.

Last edited:

Dewy9

I don't think they made Force Unleashed for the PC, so it's no surprise.

And I heard over the summer that the Wii version was coming along nicely and that the PS360 version wasn't. According to this report, they had to pretty much start from scratch because there were so many problems. If that's the case, then they spent a few months on it before getting rid of a lot of the development team and then canning the PS360 version. The one for the Wii wasn't even made by LucasArts anyway.

One thing which makes me hopeful for the game is that they don't have to rush it out to come out with a DVD release.

The Tingler

What makes me optimistic about this game: the developer A2M's current game, Wet, is looking very promising.

What makes me less optimistic: every other game they've made (including, most aptly, the Wii/PS2 only The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor) was crap.

EvilDevo

indyjones2131 said:
EvilDevo, I'd wager it's guys like you that keep Lucas cranking out pure crap. So long as it has the Indy name on it, you'll just be excited - regardless of quality or what might have been.

Some of us out here actually want a QUALITY Indy game, like the one that was teased to us three years ago.

Understand that?

I'd say LucasArts' track record has been pretty good up until recently. Even then... "pure crap"? Not sure that's how I would describe the content they've been releasing.

So, okay, let's none of us buy this terrible Indy game. They can't have our money! You really think that's going to get a newer/better Indy game made that much sooner?

Indy fan 235

I watched the trailer for this last night. Looks good, I'm hoping they release it for PS2 so I can play it, or else I'll have to buy it for the Wii and play it at my sisters.

Indy's brother

indyjones2131 said:
I'd wager it's guys like you that keep Lucas cranking out pure crap. So long as it has the Indy name on it, you'll just be excited - regardless of quality or what might have been.

For that reason, licensed games (in general) are rarely exceptional. Because of the built-in target demographic, these games don't need to be great to turn a profit. As a gamer and an Indyfan, I'm going to be just as guilty for repeating the cycle. Of course, my theory flies in the face of this:
EvilDevo said:
Let's face it... Indy isn't popular.
But I still think I'm right. Not trying to calling you out, EvilDevo, just sayin', Indy's not popular? Even outside of this forum, I'd have to disagree. And for the record, I enjoyed your "Blutarsky-esque" post!

Udvarnoky

EvilDevo said:
Let's face it... Indy isn't popular. It's simple economics. Why spend so much creating a game that just won't sell all that well?

Are you insane? Indiana Jones is a huge license that any company would kill to have. It's small in comparison to Star Wars, but that's freaking Star Wars. You can slap Indiana Jones on a video game and sell it. Your little "reality check" is about five years late - you should have been applying it to when LucasArts cancelled Sam & Max 2 back in 2004. Here, it's just loony. Any company that can't market an Indiana Jones game should be ashamed of itself.

The real reason that the showcase versions got cancelled is because the powers that be at Lucasfilm don't want LucasArts to be an actual game studio with an identity anymore, when they can just obliterate all development and make it an extension of their licensing department as just a company that licenses out the Star Wars and Indy brand names for other companies to develop games for while they collect a risk-free profit. Combine that with the fact that the Indy game has been undergoing serious development problems (because everybody keeps getting fired every time things start going on the right track), and you get what you have here.

EvilDevo

Am I insane? Maybe a little, ha. When I say "not popular" I mean... not Halo 3, not Gears of War 2 popular. How many people do you know that own Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb? I don't know. I don't think there are enough of us out there to make it worth the developers' while. On a big, expensive game with new technologies like SoK was meant to be.

Last edited:

RONDC20

Whoa! Ok that trailer kicked ass. I loved it. It got me so pumped. The music, That Raiders March gets me every time. I had a small joy gasm, but at the same time I was greatly disappointed.

It was like someone else so eloquently put it. Like giving me money and kicking me in the balls at the same time. I just don't understand it.

I have an X-Box 360 and a PS3, so yea I'm pissed. Have any of you guys played Uncharted Drake's Fortune? That's a great Indiana Jones style action/adventure video game. I love this game.

Not only was a game play fun and the graphics amazing, but the production value of this game is amazing.

I'm a sucker for these types of Pulp/Serial Adventure inspired stuff.I think that's obvious me being such a huge Indiana Jones fan. I loved the characters and the story and the game play (the gun fights are intense)

After I beat it I felt like I had just seen a really good adventure movie. The music the voice over everything about this game was great. You could tell they took their time with it, Very High production value. Nathan Drake was a great character. Heroic, funny and real down to earth, Sully was great too. Elena was also a great female character with an approachable non threatening beauty. She was real, a strong independent female character that did not have to over do it or over compensate. Basically she was not a *****.

I thought this game was way better than any of the Tomb Raider games. I identified with the characters way more. Nathan and Elena are just regular people and really easy to relate to. I felt connected to them.

Lara Croft is this British super hot rich chick bad ass, who frankly is a bit of a *****.Shes Really hard to relate to, sure I enjoy TR games as much as the next guy, but on an entirely superficial level. In Uncharted I felt connected to the characters and totally enthralled by the story.

I think the characters in Uncharted, in just one game, were more developed and realized than *ANY character in the Tomb Raider games, and that series has been around for over 10 years.

I think that the Pulp Adventure genre is so horribly under-utilized in games. we get FPS after FPS, and while those are enjoyable, sometimes you just want some light-hearted fun in your games that aren't limited to games geared towards the younger audience.

Uncharted fit that bill, and i hope more games appear that will flesh out this genre of games. I was hoping that This new Indy game was going to give Uncharted a run for their money.

If any game was ever going to be better than Uncharted it would have been the next gen Indy Game, but now that's not a possibility.

Sigh! Oh well at least I have Uncharted 2 to look forward to.

BTW I think the guy doing Indy's voice in the trailer is great. He's 100 times better than the guy from Emperor's Tomb.

Nurhachi1991

indy34 said:
well I'm going to be very peeved if its not coming out on xbox 360 because I bought one partly for this game:mad:

So did I.............. The Christmas of 2006 I begged and pleaded for a 360 because of the Indy game little did I know it would never come out on the 360. But I have a Wii and a psp so it is all good for me I guess.

I'm trying to to get to excited about the trailer because last time I saw a trailer for this game it took 4 years to see a teaser trailer for it!

Insomniac

RONDC20 said:
I think that the Pulp Adventure genre is so horribly under-utilized in games. we get FPS after FPS, and while those are enjoyable, sometimes you just want some light-hearted fun in your games that aren't limited to games geared towards the younger audience.

Uncharted fit that bill, and i hope more games appear that will flesh out this genre of games. I was hoping that This new Indy game was going to give Uncharted a run for their money.

If any game was ever going to be better than Uncharted it would have been the next gen Indy Game, but now that's not a possibility.

Sigh! Oh well at least I have Uncharted 2 to look forward to.

BTW I think the guy doing Indy's voice in the trailer is great. He's 100 times better than the guy from Emperor's Tomb.
Looks like you know what your talking about!(y)

Luckily I have a Wii and a DS!!!

DocWhiskey

At least we're getting a new Indy game in some form. Though I think Lego Indy would've been better off with a Wii and DS treatment rather than SoK. SoK sort of needs that next gen push while Lego Indy really doesn't. *Sigh* I'm expecting a mediocre game in all though.

I knew it was too good to be true. A next gen Ghostbusters game AND Indiana Jones game in the same year. Talk about a dream. And that's exactly what it is now: A Dream.:(

Nurhachi1991

I heard that Blizzard Activision is doing the game which is cool with me.

Uncharted was an ok game but the main character was a wuss.

Tydirium

Nurhachi1991 said:

Sacrilege!:p Activision I expect are just the publishers. A publisher is not always a sign of quality, take LucasArts for example(n)

Once we know who is actually writing the software, we might get a better idea of what the game will be like.

This story, indicates that the Playstation logo relates to the game coming to PSP.

RONDC20

Nurhachi1991 said:

How is Nathan Drake a wuss? I thought he was very brave and tough.