I was not allowed to see TOD as a kid!

Canyon

Indy's Fist said:
I was just looking over my collection and realized that TOD was the only Indy film I never got to see in the theater! I was 11 years old & I remember my dad refused to take me to see it because of the bad press it was getting reguarding the violence. It's a startling relization for me because Indy is my favorite movie character ever! I just hope some day they are all re-released like the Star Wars movies were back in the 1990's.

Hey! That makes us the same age, as I was 11 in 1984 also. :D

I doubt that my mum would have wanted me to see ToD as I would have been a young girl at the time. :whip:

Another annoying memory I have of TOD was during the second time I saw it in the theater, a rotten little kid who sat behind me--about five years old--kept telegraphing every line, gag, and stunt just before it happened! So my friend who was with me who hadn't seen the movie with had every moment ruined just before it was shown on screen!

It went something like this:

Kid: "Monkey brains!"

[monkey brains at banquet]

Kid: "Bugs!"

[Bugs in tunnel]

Kid: "Rip out his heart!"

[heart gets ripped out]

I seriously doubt that kid lived to be seven, because he shouted these things at the top of his lungs. But he's probably some successful, well-adjusted banker now with no memory of the time he ruined a movie for a 13-year-old who should've crippled him.

The 1980s: it wasn't all roses.

indyclone25

well i was a teenager when the temple of doom came out and i took my younger brother with me and we loved the movie ---that summer i think we saw it at least 5 times in the first run and about a dozen more at the second run houses---- but it wasan awesome adventure

Indy's Fist

Canyon said:
Hey! That makes us the same age, as I was 11 in 1984 also. :D

I doubt that my mum would have wanted me to see ToD as I would have been a young girl at the time. :whip:
Well I'll be darned someone my age here! For a while I thought all we had were kids in here.

AndyLGR

Indy's Fist said:
Well I'll be darned someone my age here! For a while I thought all we had were kids in here.
....and another one. I was 11 in 1984 too.

I didnt get to see TOD at the cinema. but my dad got a pirate copy on vhs which we watched, I was the envy of the class, lots of kids wanted to borrow it off me.

I'll jump on this wheelchair--I mean bandwagon, too; I turned 13 in 1984.

And yes, it is nice to know that there are some original Indy vets around!

Doc Savage

Indy's Fist said:
I let my kids watch it. They find it cool when the heart comes out!
The first time we played Mortal Kombat vs. DC, she woke up screaming that the Joker was biting her toenails. I decided not to risk it.

And I'm among the geriatric club that saw the originals in the theater. I raise my glass of prune juice to the rest of you.

Canyon

Indy's Fist said:

AndyLGR said:
....and another one. I was 11 in 1984 too.

I didnt get to see TOD at the cinema. but my dad got a pirate copy on vhs which we watched, I was the envy of the class, lots of kids wanted to borrow it off me.

InBanana Jones said:
I'll jump on this wheelchair--I mean bandwagon, too; I turned 13 in 1984.

And yes, it is nice to know that there are some original Indy vets around!

Hey, nice to see that there are some more people around here who grew up in the 80's. (y)

BTW, I used to post all the time here, but haven't been around in a while. ;)

Indy's Fist

Canyon said:
Hey, nice to see that there are some more people around here who grew up in the 80's. (y)

BTW, I used to post all the time here, but haven't been around in a while. ;)

Hey, you're from the 80's!!! Welcome back!

Agent Z

Damn, by 1984, I was 13. Well, I have a late birthday (December), but you get the drift. :p

Nice that all the seniors are representing! (y)

Le Saboteur

I share a birthday...

...with "Star Wars" (The year, not the day). I am told to this day that I started crying when Vader came on screen, and my mother had to take me out of the theatre while my dad got to sit and watch it. Mom was rather upset, so dad had to sit with me while she got to watch.

I would've been nearly six.five when ToD came out, and I can't remember seeing it in the theatre at that time. Though, I do have a memory from around that age where I was standing in front of a red brick wall in between some movie posters, so who knows.

I still have the ticket stub from Crusade, however. We also had the bootlegged VHS copies dubbed from the local video store. To this date, however, my sisters won't watch the heart extraction scene! :rolleyes:

Hans

yah tod is the most violent movie. And here is the list of the most violent movies:cool:
1.tod
2.rotla
3.kocs
4.tlc

oki9Sedo

Hans said:
yah tod is the most violent movie. And here is the list of the most violent movies:cool:
1.tod
2.rotla
3.kocs
4.tlc

I don't know, I would have said Crusade was more violent than Crystal Skull. The soldiers being decapitated at the end stands out in my mind.

drjones

Well, add another guy to the list of "old-timers": I was 13 in 1984 too; as a matter of fact, it came out the very day after my birthday and that's when I saw it. I don't think I thought much about the stuff like the heart extraction and all of that; I was just glad to see a new Indiana Jones adventure. Man, those were good times; the summer of 1984 was awesome with all of these great movies that came out!

Well, I was one in 1984, so if I went to TOD in theaters I don't remember.

My earliest memory of Indiana Jones, though, is of my brothers and some of their friends watching Temple on our BETA - yes, that's right, I said BETA - VCR and me not being allowed to watch with them when I was about 3 or 4. Not much later I was allowed to watch it, but I had to fast forward through the heart scene.

I didn't get to see Crusade in the theaters, either, because of the PG-13 rating. But I still loved Indy by then. And when the movies were available on VHS at McDonalds in '91 or '92 my mom finally got me all of them, and I've really been hooked ever since.

Oh, and I don't resent my parents at all for not letting me watch that scene. I agree, it's not really for kids. The first time I really did watch it, it freaked me out big time.

Jorbex

I was eight years old in 1984, so I didn't get to see it in the theatre, either, but an older cousin gave me a VERY detailed description of the whole movie. I vividly remember her describing in gory detail the "rip-your-heart-out" scene. That probably gave me more nightmares than the movie itself. ;)

DoomTown

I was one of the lucky ones; my Dad took me to see "Temple" in the theatres( I was also 8...) and vividly remember being grossed out by the Pankot Palace dinner, and covering my eyes when Mola Ram rips out the victims heart...I also remember holding my breath when Indy cut that bridge in half...What a great time!!!(y)

Johnny Nys

This was the first Indy movie I saw, even before Raiders, although I did have a faint deja vu with the ending warehouse shot.

I seem to remember that for some reason, during the late eighties and early nineties, TOD was always programmed to air on TV around Christmas, together with ET usually.

Hanselation

In 1984 I was 17 when I saw ToD the first time in the movies. I liked it so much, that I was swarming very much for it. I would like to see it again, and took my brother with me. (VHS release would be years later) My brother was 12 - so he did'nt get access. For him in his younger years nearly 8 miles by bike for nothing. Poor boy! :eek:
But i saw that movie again! :D My favored Indiana Jones movie till now!