Customizing Indy Figures

Palaceslave_82

Thanks,CAZAFANTASMA.I figured for using a steak knife and sandpaper to customize, it wasn't a bad first effort. I'm considering having someone else finish her, as I have zero painting/sculpting experience. Any takers? :)

CAZA, I saw your Mola Ram custom on eBay,it looks awesome! How's the rest of the Temple crew coming?

Palaceslave_82

Thanks so much,Billy Ray! The method was borne of wanting a Crystal Skull Marion at 1 A.M. and having none of the necessary tools as a result of having never customized. I heated the feet under hot running water to pop them out of the ankle joint and switch 'em with a G.I. JOE female's. I kept the figure under that same faucet to soften the hard plastic, and started slicing away bulk, ( pockets, unwanted creases,) and scoring the plastic to give the vest a linen look with less sheen, pausing the DVD for detail on Marion's actual vest, hair, etc. Was the next order...but again,thanks for the kudos. There's some pretty great stuff on here by some talented people,and I'm essentially a newbie where that's concerned.

Palaceslave_82

Thank you,Mr. Scott. I'd be honored to have you give her the "inky treatment", as she is a bit rough at the present. *for a fee, of course*
My worry is that my inexperience in paint/sculpting, I might ruin a decent first attempt by hampering all of the articulation I've worked to keep. I don't think any additional parts would be required, unless forearms with swivel wrists would look better, ( which I could Provide).

Palaceslave_82

I appreciate the shout out,Lance Quazar.

Recipe is:

Grace Augustine (Avatar)- torso, upper arms,and legs,heavily-modified

Marion Ravenwood ( Well of Souls)- head (with slight hair mods in back)-forearms

G.I. JOE Lady Jaye (DVD pack) boots,and neck stump, (modified to hold Marion head,and suggest a neck the original figure did not have)

Palaceslave_82

Have since switched out the hairpiece for that of the Marvel Universe Psylocke figure, a style which more closely mimics Marion's in "Skull". I just need to sculpt bangs...pics soon.

dlupus

Awesome job Palaceslave_82!!!

I am currently working on a TOD Lao Che figure! I will be posting pictures as soon as the sealer dry on the paint!

dlupus

Here it is, my Lao Che. This is my second custom figure. Two things I would change for my next attempt at Lao Che: (1) the tie is a little larger than I would have liked and (2) the sealant i used is too glossy. I can't wait to put it on a Vintage Kenner style back that I ordered!

IMAG0017_zps2c3d87c8.jpg

Palaceslave_82

Excellent! Love the sheen of his suit...only critique is that he looks a bit too young, and handsome. Lao in the movie was chubby, pushing fifty. Great work, though. Can Kao or Chen be far behind? I'd love to see a Kenner-era Willie in Club attire.

Lance Quazar

Really nice job!! Parts list, please!

You can buy some dullcoat to dim the shine on that figure.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say the neck looks a little tall.

But I think you've done a wonderful job and it's a delight to see more customs coming down the pike.

The entire customizing hobby seems to be a shadow of its former self. Especially Indy customizing, which was always a niche inside a niche.

Bravo and thanks for sharing!!!!

Lance Quazar said:
The entire customizing hobby seems to be a shadow of its former self. Especially Indy customizing, which was always a niche inside a niche.

If only I had the time...
Maybe they'll be a resurgence once we all hit retirement, lol.

Mr. Fusion

I know this thread consists of mainly 3 3/4" customs. But I wanted to share my brother's customized 12" Sideshow Indy from Raiders. Everything has either been repainted or made from scratch.

MySideshowIndy92_zps761ecfd6.jpg

MySideshowIndy106_zpscd489fb7.jpg

MySideshowIndy98_zps6c2e876a.jpg

MySideshowIndy100_zps3adb7e48.jpg

MySideshowIndy110_zpsd747b017.jpg

MySideshowIndy108_zps5419e13f.jpg

And just for reference...

SideshowIndianaJones7_zps771589df.jpg

dlupus

Your brother's figure is amazing! Man I have to get into collecting those 12" figures. They are just so expensive and I know my wife will catch me!

dlupus

Quick question! I usually use Sculpey for all my sculpting but I need something that I do not need to bake... does anyone have any suggestions for a "non-baking putty" that they use. I am working on a Walter Donovan figure at this time...