Indy 5 news 2012

moon_tan

The new Disney-Lucasfilm deal doesn't sound good for Indiana Jones 5 at all at this time. I suppose George Lucas could write a treatment for Indiana Jones 5 and present it to Disney. Perhaps Lucas could become a "creative consultant" on that too.

Will we see "Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye" made into a motion picture?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
moon_tan said:
The new Disney-Lucasfilm deal doesn't sound good for Indiana Jones 5 at all at this time. I suppose George Lucas could write a treatment for Indiana Jones 5 and present it to Disney. Perhaps Lucas could become a "creative consultant" on that too.

It doesn't sound good, but not for the reason you cite. If there were to be an Indy V with Harrison Ford (and, I suppose, Spielberg), they'd need to get going on it soon. It sounds like Kennedy's attentions at Lucasfilm will be pretty solidly on the planned Star Wars trilogy.

On other other hand, the writing of a treatment would be presumably out of Lucas's hands now. Still, there's no reason to think that really means anything. Watch for news about a deal being brokered with Paramount.

moon_tan said:
Will we see "Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye" made into a motion picture?

Nah, more likely the Tokyo attraction.

Jackson

Star Wars 7 will kill Indy 5

With the news that Star Wars 7 is a go for 2015 and that Disney now owns not only Star Wars but Indiana Jones. I fear that Indy 5 is never going to happen at least not now and not with Harrison Ford. As Star Wars always comes before Indy.

they will have to make Indy like Bond and recast if they area going to make INdy 5. five years down the line. Thats hard for me to type but its the truth if Indy is to have a future. It cant stop with Crystal skull just like the hat cant stop with just Ford. He is ageing rapidly. I woud love to know what Harrison Ford thinks about todays news.
jackson
www.spindlequest.com/treasureleads.html

moon_tan

Harrison Ford is probably disappointed and in tears today. He has shown great spirit in doing Indiana Jones 5 these past 4 years. Even if Harrison Ford is 75, he could still stand and play "Indiana Jones". For insurance reasons, I wouldn't put him on a real moving horse, but Cowboys and Aliens (2011) showed he can still ride a horse.
Well, after Steven Spielberg is finished with Robopocalypse (2014), let's see what the next project is.
Don't you think Harrison Ford would just love to be part of the action in Star Wars: Episode 7?

Henry W Jones

moon_tan said:
Harrison Ford is probably disappointed and in tears today. He has shown great spirit in doing Indiana Jones 5 these past 4 years. Even if Harrison Ford is 75, he could still stand and play "Indiana Jones". For insurance reasons, I wouldn't put him on a real moving horse, but Cowboys and Aliens (2011) showed he can still ride a horse.
Well, after Steven Spielberg is finished with Robopocalypse (2014), let's see what the next project is.
Don't you think Harrison Ford would just love to be part of the action in Star Wars: Episode 7?

No, I think he will have no interest whatsoever. I don't think Hamill or Fisher will either.

Kernunnos

I just saw this on the news.

What rights do Paramount hold on the franchise? Disney would have to be absolute mugs to not be considering an Indy 5 with Harrison in the role.

Rivers

With Star Wars episode 7 already having a release date of 2015, you can bet no work will be focused on Indy 5 at all.

Mickiana

If Disney does not continue IJ, I will never watch another Disney film again! Actually, I can't remember the last time I watched one. Anyhow, that's my big threat.;)

Dr. Gonzo

Attila the Professor said:
Watch for news about a deal being brokered with Paramount.
Now that is the only real news to look forward to now...

... and it will be ugly, oh yes, I guarantee you it will be ugly.

Henry W Jones said:
No, I think he will have no interest whatsoever. I don't think Hamill or Fisher will either.

I disagree about Hamill and Fisher, compared to Harrison Ford their careers have been virtually non-existent since Return of the Jedi, to them this news must be like the second coming. Harrison Ford I imagine would be quite ambivalent about the new Star Wars films since it is pretty clear he is more enthusiastic about Indiana Jones 5. However several news stories I have just read confirms that Han Solo along with Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia will be in the sequel trilogy. To think we would hear news about Harrison Ford playing Han Solo again before Indiana Jones, who the hellwould have thunk that just 24 hours ago?!

As far as what this means for Indiana Jones 5's prospects I have mixed feelings. On one hand I think it is kind of bad because of what others have said about the focus being on Star Wars now but on the other hand if they can keep something as MEGA HUGE as Star Wars episodes 7, 8, and 9 a secret until a press release then surely there is at least a possibility of a sudden surprise Indiana Jones 5 announcement at some point.(y)

Hanselation

What would Harrison Ford say if Disney offers him the role of Han Solo in Episode VII?

Maybe things like this: "If Disney wants me for Han Solo I would do it only if they produce also another Indiana Jones movie with me!" :whip:

But in reality I think: George Lucas is retired and now also the Indiana Jones Movies... That's all folks -

I'm quite surprised (not so much actually) by those reactions about "THE news of the decade"? I'm personnaly one of those who think that Harrison Ford should not play Indy anymore. Indy jumps, runs, falls, rides? HF is definitely too old for that. And I don't think that any exploitation of an old tortured mind Indy would be Indy style. Indiana Jones is really like a (good) Disney attraction. That's all. Harrison Ford used to be perfect as Indy, but not that much in KOTCS (and so the movie), and I really believe that another actor may play Indy as well.
So, if the fact that Disney has got Lucasfilm makes Indy not to be continued very soon, that's a good news for me. It means that HF won't ever play Indy, and that Georges won't produce it. I was so disappointed with KOTCD that I couldn't imagine that Spielberg/Lucas/Ford could ever go back to ROTLA's quality.
A new fresh team may give something really renewed. By the way, I think that a reboot would be logical. We have seen Indy getting older (and the others characters/actors too), and a new Indy without HF would show a young Indy, with new sidekicks, new girlfriends, and of course new mac guffins!?
It will happen, I'm now preatty sure about that!:D

Hanselation

And now everything in the past makes sense:
George Lucas smugly smiling when he was asked about Indiana Jones 5. In reality he was preparing to sell his company.

But what does that mean to what he told Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford regarding tellin' them he is working on a story for Indy 5? He also presented them a "germ of a story" like us was told? Then saying he was looking for a new Mcguffin - and now?

I would like to know since when his friends Steven and Harrison knew about this Disney development process...
:confused:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
If there are any new interviews or quotes, let me know.
Just added to the Indy 5 news page:
October 30, 2012
George Lucas: "I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."
Jay Rasulo: "Our Lucasfilm valuation is almost entirely driven by the Star Wars franchise, so any success from other franchises would provide upside to our base case."

October 30, 2012
Jay Rasulo: "No, we're going to concentrate on the Star Wars franchise."
Bob Iger: "There are some encumbrances with Indiana Jones, largely with Paramount. But I would say though, on the whole, what we've got here are far fewer encumbrances to get at value that existed when we bought Marvel. We didn’t ascribe any value to the Indiana Jones franchise when we valued Lucasfilm because of the encumbrances that exist. We love the franchise by the way, but it's not factored into the equation, so to speak, with this acquisition."

October 30, 2012
George Lucas: "We've, you know, got a plan for 7, 8 and 9, which is the end of the trilogy, and other films also."

October 30, 2012
George Lucas: I have story treatments of 7, 8 and 9 and a bunch of other movies, and obviously, we have hundreds of books and comics and everything you could possibly imagine. So I sort of moved that treasure trove of stories and various things to Kathy, and I have complete confidence that she's gonna take them and make great movies."

Indy's brother

Moedred said:
If there are any new interviews or quotes, let me know.
Just added to the Indy 5 news page:

We didn’t ascribe any value to the Indiana Jones franchise when we valued Lucasfilm because of the encumbrances that exist. We love the franchise by the way, but it's not factored into the equation, so to speak, with this acquisition.

Thanks George.

*slow. clap.*

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
"Value" depleted by forseeable disagreements with Paramount.

It sounds as though Indy's going to be tossed into the middle of a custody battle.

More like tossed aside. They're going for the big bucks.

Kernunnos

Indy's brother said:
More like tossed aside. They're going for the big bucks.

I find it inconceivable that they wont do anything with the Indy franchise.

Something will be worked out with Paramount. Indy is one of the biggest franchises, and best loved movie characters of all time. I can't see Disney shelving him.

Montana Smith

Kernunnos said:
Something will be worked out with Paramount. Indy is one of the biggest franchises, and best loved movie characters of all time. I can't see Disney shelving him.

Disney Executive #1: "How are we going to market this guy? He doesn't even have his own spaceship, robot friends, pirate ship or superpowers."

Disney Executive #2: "He's named after the dog, right? So why don't we just cast a dog in the role? We could hire Shia to do the voice work."

Disney Executive #1: "That's brilliant! Put all those Star Wars films on hold and find me a dog."