Poll: What will you do if the plot deals with UFOs or "visitors?"

If "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" Deals with UFOs or Aliens, you'll...

• ...care less about the plot. Indy's back!

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • ...be skeptical. Sci-fi seems out of place in Indy's world.

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • ...be first in line. Lucas and Spielberg can do no wrong.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • ..burn Lucas in effigy. He ruined Star Wars, and Indy's next.

Votes: 9 12.5%

• Total voters

OmegaSeamaster

Honestly, I've been a harcore Indy fan since day one. I even own the Indiana Jones pinball machine. I hate what Lucas did to the Star Wars films, and now I'm afraid he might ruin the Indy films as well with a stupid plot about UFOs and "alien visitors" from outer space ala "Chariots of the Gods."

Vote in this poll, and let me know what you all think!

peterlally

OmegaSeamaster said:
Honestly, I've been a harcore Indy fan since day one. I even own the Indiana Jones pinball machine. I hate what Lucas did to the Star Wars films, and now I'm afraid he might ruin the Indy films as well with a stupid plot about UFOs and "alien visitors" from outer space ala "Chariots of the Gods."

Vote in this poll, and let me know what you all think!

Ditto my friend Ditto but i dont think its going to happen the only reason we find it hard to accept the new trilogy is because we spent years waiting if it has been made in chronological order we would have loved it, the same will be with Jones, lets not blame Lucas.

peterlally

That is to say i dont think Aliens will be involved, but if involved in a very very subtle manner i.e dialogue it might just work

OmegaSeamaster

Actually, the whole "Chariots of the Gods" connection rumor seems a bit stronger now, seeing as there have been allusions to the Ark of the Covenant being in the film are on the website and at the San Diego comic-con.

Having read "Chariots" when I was in college, there was actually a couple paragraphs that dealt with the Ark and how the instructions for building it, upon analysis, yeilded some kind of communication device with radioactive properties (It's been a while, so I may be off here). The book claimed alien visitors made the instructions available to Noah, or something silly like that.

If this is the path the story's going to go down, I just don't know. If the movie is going to try to say everything about the ark, the stones or the grail can be tied to visitors from outer space, it's really going to be hard for me to take.

commontone

I'm not exactly a UFO/alien enthusiast, but I've always liked the idea, if it were handled properly. I think there are many ways it could be done that would not be out of keeping with the Indy universe.

I think if aliens are involved, they will be involved very obliquely and with only a few references of dialogue -- much like the "knights" in Last Crusade, before Indy actually meets up with one. The audience learns about them, and their significance to the story, but until the end of the film they're just tangential information.

Perhaps he will meet up with an alien eventually, like the knight, but it will be off-screen...just a brief, if important shot of Indy staring in wonder at *something.*

Unlike just about everyone here, I've never had a problem with the concept itself. If done right it could be very cool.

The movie's in good hands--those of the people who made Indy who he is: Spielberg, Lucas, Ford, and even Kennedy and Marshall. Don't worry about the McGuffin too much!

I'm greatly skeptical about the involvement of extraterrestrial creatures in this film, but I'm quite confident that the trio (Lucas, Spielberg and Ford) is not going to be wrong. When they announced the fourth movie they all seemed REALLY excited.

Lucas said the film "will be cool. It will be the best one in the saga" or something similar. Spielberg said the story was great and was "well worth the wait". And in an interview for an italian magazine, some months ago, Harrison Ford himself said something like "I've just read the screenplay and I absolutely guarantee the movie will be EXPLOSIVE."

So, they all said it will be excellent, not only good.
And I decided to trust them once again. (y)

Indy's Fist

I always liked the objects in the Indy movies because there was a certian anonimity to them. We are given some background on the items usually with a bit of mythology behind the legends and little else. It is never over analized and the object is always left as a sort of mystery. We don't know how it works or why it just does. I think if they have some UFO or alien tech that they will keep it shrouded in mystery. My favorite scene in any Indy film was in Raiders when Sallah & Indy saw that man to help read the head peice to the staff of Ra. After he translates the wind picks up in the room and it creates an erie feeling. It's like these men are dealing with something beyond their comprehention, very spooky!

Niteshade007

I choose the skeptical one, although the burning Lucas in effigy was quite tempting. However, I couldn't vote for that one because I'm not really a Star Wars fan, so I don't necessarily believe he ruined the series, just bore me to death with it.

commontone

The Stranger said:
Lucas said the film "will be cool. It will be the best one in the saga" or something similar.

As much as I hope he's right, that's the kind of thing Lucas would say, both as the person he is and as someone wanting to drum up interest for the film. To me it's equivalent to a coach saying about his team before a game, "We're gonna KILL 'em, we're a bunch of winners!" Even if the coach and team have a great record, they don't *know* what's gonna happen. Way too many unknown variables.

Lucas even admitted that they got carried away with the "dark" elements of Temple in the excitement of filming, and only when the film was done did they step back and say, "Gee, that's really quite dark, perhaps too much."

Still it sounds like the production's going well, from what little we've heard. I just don't really buy into what filmmakers say about their movies BEFORE they've been made.

"Care to expand on that?"
Well, I've been of the opinion that Indy 4 is going to suck MkVII out-loud..... If it's about aliens, I'll be right.

OmegaSeamaster

I loved the original Star Wars films before Lucas ruined them with his subsequent and endless edits and special effects tinkering.

The three Star Wars prequels were putrid - I've seen them once each and will NEVER go back and revisit them. I've never seen someone do more to tarnish his own creation, either through revisionism or all out pop culture saturation.

So personally I don't trust Lucas when it comes to storytelling. When someone like Frank Darabont gives him a script and he gives it a thumbs down, you have to wonder if it wasn't sappy enough or there weren't enough annoying sidekicks to appeal to the kiddies in the audience. I can't say I detest Short Round, but his presence in Temple of Doom has Lucas' penchant for kiddie schtick written all over him.

Luckily, for the Indy films, Spielberg's always had the director's chair, so Lucas' campy tendencies have been kept well in check. Perhaps it was divine providence that "Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" were directed by people other than Lucas.

I'm hoping that it's going to kick butt. Supposedly it took them an eternity to come up with an amazing story idea, and I don't think Harrison would put his name to something that ruins the franchise.

jtobin13

Stevens in charge

the 3 days i was there near the set for my fitting, Steven was THE director,thrilling !!

glad im still keeping mum

Last edited:

Michael24

If the new film deals with aliens, I think it will be more along the lines of just feeling their "presence" rather than actually seeing them. I don't think we'll be seeing Indy walking around a UFO and fighting with big bug-eyed aliens or anything like that. Rather, there will be other villains in the film, but the aliens' presence will be "felt" through the characters' dialogue and the discoveries that are made. (Kinda like Galactus in RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER, you mostly just feel his presence for majority of the film.) That's just what I think, though. Like I said, I doubt we'll see something akin to Indy fighting a Predator-like alien being hand-to-hand. Haha!!

At the end of the day, I don't really care. INDY'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Matthew

I voted for the burning, though it MIGHT be okay if practically only 'felt' through some aspects of the plot and made as a realistic earth involved thing.

Anyway, before I charge money I don't have to my credit card (new shirt on star wars shop), can someone direct me or explain some post that was made somewhere that compared The Phantom to crystal skulls? I never saw the movie and don't want to, yet have already decided it's horrible and so would be any similarities to the Indy plot.

Michael24

A series of skulls (not crystal ones, though) figure into the plot of THE PHANTOM. When the skulls are brought together, they create a powerful energy force that the villain plans to use to take over the world. (What else?) Personally, I love THE PHANTOM and find it one of the more enjoyable comic book-based movies over the last ten years. It's set in the 1930s and definitely has the same kind of Saturday matinee cliffhanger feel that the Indy movies have.

But it's kinda stupid to declare a movie horrible when you haven't even seen it or don't even plan to.

Matthew

Thanks for the info. Yeah, that generally is a very stupid attitude and I'm half kidding, but I saw the trailer recently enough and it made me want to run, just not my thing.