Animal Cruelty

The Drifter

Is it me, or is the Indiana Jones flicks full of cases of animal abuse? I have a few examples that I would like to discuss.

<b>Raiders of the Lost Ark</b>

1- The poor pack-mule who gets left tied to a tree. Either this beast of burden will slowly starve to death, die of the elements, or the Havitos will find him and have a feast. Either way, the poor ass is doomed.

2- Reggie. I have reason to believe that Indy most likely tossed poor Reggie over the side.

3- Speaking of snakes. What about all the purdy little asps that get burned alive in the Well of the Souls? They were just minding their own buisness, and someone felt the need to burn them just because of their greed over the Ark.

4- The monkey. It is clear that someone brainwashed the monkey into being a Hitler fanatic. Sure, it betrayed Marion, but still; it did try to give comfort to Indy after he thought her dead. Nobody mourned for it's passing. I did.

5- The dog. A defensless dog gets a melon smashed over it. What a pitiful squeak it lets out. So sad. So sad.

<b>Temple of Doom</b>

1- Nobody cared if the chickens had a parachute or life-raft to use. They were mindlessly clucking away until their firey and feathery death. What a waste of good fried chicken.

2- The absense of animals in the villages is distrubing. I shudder to think of what the villigers did to them. And, all their cattle died because of no Shankara Stones.

3- Not much to say that can't be seen about the dinner at Pankot Palace. We have dead beatles, snakes, and eels being ate alive. And, even more monkeys who meet a horrible, sad end. And, that one fat guy seems to enjoy it!

4- Just like the snakes, we have insects who are scattering about. Minding their own buisness, when some humans come in and crush them, and scream at them. I feel so bad for that huge stick-bug.

5- Some may think that the crocs had it okay at the end of the film. After all, they do get to munch on some Thuggee baddies. But, I looked a little deeper. All of the Thuggee that fell into the river were possessed by the blood of Kali. So, if the crocs ingested their blood; they too will be possessed. How horrid! A river full of crocs who worship Kali!

<b>Last Crusade</b>

1- First we see Herman, who spots a snake. Can't blame Herman for being afraid, but then Indy trots into the cavern and tosses the snake away! Why be so mean and careless to the poor, legless creature of the earth?

2- Well, we have giraffes who become confused by the people running past their heads. We have a rhino who gets hit on the head by a lantern (Lucky it was not lit), Indy lands in a vat of snakes; most likely squishing hundreds of them, and that poor lion who was just trying to greet Indy in a friendly manner. He gets a whip to his lion-face for his trouble.

3- Again we see another group of animals burned alive. This time it's rats. Have nobody any symphathy for the rats as they squeal and try to cling into Elsa's hair? They don't wanna be dead either!

So, all in all. These movies have a ton of animal abuse!

Last edited:

The Man

Lonsome_Drifter said:
3- Speaking of snakes. What about all the purdy little asps that get burned alive in the Well of the Souls? They were just minding their own buisness, and someone felt the need to burn them just because of their greed over the Ark.

Don't f*ck with a Kubrick...

Vivian Kubrick, daughter of famous director Stanley Kubrick, complained because of the way snakes had been treated. She claimed that many snakes had been crashed from the feet of the cast and crew. She even climbed up on the stage and said: "Steven, this is so cruel". Spielberg from his side felt terribly embarrassed and reassured her that they would be looked after fine, but she wasn't pleased with that, so she rang the RSPCA to complain. The whole film ground to a halt and it was closed down for a whole day. In order to continue shooting Spielberg ordered measures to be taken. So a row of plastic dustbins as far as the eye could see around the stage, and in the bottom of each one there was a little bit of straw and a leaf of lettuce, and each one had about three garter snakes.

Dyonus

Don't forget the poor elephant in Temple of Doom who was just trying to be friendly with Willie and she violently yanked the elephant's trunk away. (And if you had giant ears, would you honestly want to hear Willie screeching? IN YOUR EAR?) It gets perfume dumped on its head. The only time the elephant gets revenge is when she blows water into her face.

Don't forget the bat that Willie so violently grabbed the wings of.

Or the snake which she flung.

The Drifter

Dyonus said:
Don't forget the poor elephant in Temple of Doom who was just trying to be friendly with Willie and she violently yanked the elephant's trunk away. (And if you had giant ears, would you honestly want to hear Willie screeching? IN YOUR EAR?) It gets perfume dumped on its head. The only time the elephant gets revenge is when she blows water into her face.

Don't forget the bat that Willie so violently grabbed the wings of.

Or the snake which she flung.

Great points!
I forgot about those. See, even more proof! lol
Anyone else think of anything?

Nurhachi1991

What about all those poor bugs in temple of doom? Indy and Short round must of killed a ton of them by stepping on them "maybe we step on fortune cookies"

Jerks :p

Well what about the tarantula from Last Crusade? He thought he'd finally made it, imagine him, his family and his spider buddies turning up at the premiere, full of spidery excitement, eating their popcorn, propped up in the special spider gallery.. imagine the whole families crushing dissapointment to find the scene excised from the movie.

Lucas and Spielburg had a chance to strike a blow against the misrepresentation of tarantulas in the film industry, but they shirked that chance.. it may never come again

And speaking of last crusade, no camel should have to put up with Indiana's extreme Camel xenophobia. Yet they had to.
'I said no camels, thats five camels can't you count?'
If you look closely, you can see the camels tears.

Then of course in Crystal skull we have the death of a large number of CG ants, a very rare species with only 100 colonies existing in the wild. Such malicious squishing was surely a criminal act. And speaking of CG animals, I bet the monkey actors union felt very let down by their replacement in the movie by CG monkeys, ditto for gophers.

But why stop at the movies? Countless snakes and scorpians and giant unrealistic looking spiders, shot to death in infernal machine, not to mention a ludicrous giant snake. An Octopus looking for a meal after centuries stuck on his lonesome in Atlantis, that snake Indy swings on at the start. The Kracken from Emperors tomb,

Won't somebody please think of the animals!!

arkfinder

Let's not be so fast to forget that these film were filmed back in the '80's. Before the dreaded "PETA" mofia crack down. It was a long practice in Hollywood to use animals & I'm sure some of them got hurt.

Now a day's it's more CGI and it shows look at the monkey in "Skull."

The Drifter

My thread was meant for a little fun.
I did not mean how the animals were mistreated in real life (I hope they weren't), I was just poking fun at how the animals in the movies have the worst luck.

Gear

In RotLA, four tarantulas burned up in the lighting during the enterance scene to the Hovitos cave.

Of course that wasn't intentional. There's a difference between willingly doing harm to something and accidental happenstance.

I'm sure all the animals served at pancot were prepared in a maner that conformed to the international treaty for the protection of animals.
:dead:

Interesting look into a little publicised story, the snake part that is...

Stanley Kubrick's Lost Daughter

In an exclusive interview, the director’s stepdaughter breaks her silence about her Scientologist sister, Vivian, who hasn’t spoken to the family in 10 years.

For the last ten years, whenever anyone asked Katharina Kubrick—stepdaughter of the late, legendary filmmaker, Stanley Kubrick—about her youngest step-sister Vivian, her response was, “Oh, she’s living in L.A., doing something.” Their mother, Christiane Kubrick, would say the same thing.

“We weren’t lying, we were just being economical with the truth,” Katharina says over the telephone from the Kubrick’s Hertfordshire manor house, Childwickbury, where she and her mother teach art. “Because if you say, ‘My sister has become a Scientologist,’ where do you go from that?”

Attempts to contact Vivian through the Church of Scientology—which had no official comment for this story—were not successful. But Stephanie Bennett, a professional dog trainer, got to know Vivian when she helped her tame a stray German Shepherd a few years ago. (Vivian is an animal lover who, as a child, reprimanded Steven Spielberg for not treating snakes well on the set of Raiders of the Lost Ark.) When Bennett knew Vivian, she was living a quiet life in Hollywood.

Dr Bones

I believe KOTCS had a deleted scene where before climbing into the fridge to protect himslef, Indy puts a stray cat into a green recylcing wheelie bin. ;)

Henry Jones Sr. in the Last Crusade scaring those poor birds on the beach with his umbrella deliberately leading some of them to their deaths in the propeller blades of that nazi airplane.

The poor snake in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull used as "a rope" in the sinkhole, it was stretched so hard that surely it must have died.