What "everyday" clothes can go with a fedora?

Marshall2288

Other than wearing the Indy getup every day, what else does a fedora go good with? Jeans and a t-shirt? Obviously not shorts and flip flops but I'm looking for some everyday wear. Any suggestions?

indyfedora

Hello Marshall!

Seeing as we're both new here I wanted to post my reply. I think a collared shirt and jeans look good with my fedora; people have complimented me on my look.(y)

What do you think?

Goodeknight

Yeah, nothing toooo casual. I think jeans and t-shirt is too casual. Collared shirt definitely. Blue's a good color on just about anyone. Khakis and a blue shirt. Jeans and a Columbia greenish shirt or something.

Once you add a leather jacket to it, no matter what else you wear it starts looking costumey. Same with a khaki shirt, even if it's with jeans. If you want it to look like a costume, that's fine. You just have to be aware of it.

A fedora also looks great and classic with a trench coat.

Deadlock

Since you bought a hat expressly because it is an Indiana Jones hat, trying to wear in non-costume contexts (and be taken seriously) may be impossible. Take a look at this blog post.

If you're not inclined to read the whole thing... this cuts to the chase.

The fedora (and it?s cousins the trilby, homburg, bowler &etc) is second only to the black duster in the heirarchy of Megadork Garments. Rare is the Dungeons & Dragons game without one player wearing a fedora he thinks makes him look like Indiana Jones. The sad fact is that these megadorks have tainted the hat for everyone else. If you want to wear a hat, you have to: A) have a great reason or B) look really awesome.

Marshall2288

Thats fair enough. I'm going to try to pull it off though. We'll see what happens. I live in Florida so I'm pretty tan and have a pretty good build (not quite ToD built though) so I'll try to not look silly. There's this guy that works at Walmart by my house who wears a lighter more greyish colored fedora with his Walmart shirt and pants and he pulls it off so I think it can be done. I'll never know till I get out and try it. I wear the shirt with all kinds of stuff like like jeans (tucked and untucked) and even plaid shorts and flip flops and no one has once said anything about it. Of course the hat is the iconic piece.

IndyJoey

I know how hot it gets in Florida (Feels much much more hot than California, where i currently live, but im moving to Ireland in a month) But most collared shirts look fine with them. A flannel shirt looks good, but it would be way too hot... but a polo might look fine...

Marshall2288

Yea I'll roll with a polo. Reason I said t-shirt and jeans is because a lot of people (including myself) wear the smaller fedoras (like the ones you can get at Target and Walmart) with casual clothing. I guess they are more "modernized" than the classic Indy fedora.

...I'm trying to find something other than my Atlanta Braves baseball hat that I wear every day...

IndyJoey

Yeah, alot of people over here wear modernized fedoras also. Im not a big fan of them... they're ok... but i really do like my indy hat, although there are people who give dirty looks...

Finn

Staff member
Just about any piece of headgear looks great with an ice fishing drysuit.

Montana Smith

Deadlock said:
Since you bought a hat expressly because it is an Indiana Jones hat, trying to wear in non-costume contexts (and be taken seriously) may be impossible. Take a look at this blog post.

If you're not inclined to read the whole thing... this cuts to the chase.

...wearing a fedora he thinks makes him look like Indiana Jones. The sad fact is that these megadorks have tainted the hat for everyone else.

Example:

498.jpg

Marshall2288

Finn said:
Just about any piece of headgear looks great with an ice fishing drysuit.

Theres a tad shortage of ice fishing down here in Florida but thanks for suggestion lol :p

Deadlock, I get what your saying. I wear several styles of cowboy hats as well so wearing hats isn't something that will make people who know me say "OMG, he's playing dress up". I actually got the hat at a garage sale so it's no replica or anything. It's a lot lighter than the real deal. I've wron it several times with various things. I was just curious how the pros (you prop guys) wore theirs.

Last edited:

HenryJunior

For as timeless of a look the wide-brim fedora has, it does have a very limited range of clothes it can go with. Although a postive could be seen here, if we love our Indy Fedoras enough it could encourage us to dress better and more formally!:D
:whip:

IndyJoey

Marshall2288 said:
or just throw on the get up and screw what anyone has to say.

But

...you go first lol

Ha! Me go first, I've gone in full Indy to school! I get alot of funny looks, but i honestly dont care what my peers think. Hahaha! :D

The_Raiders

Any brown fedora is going to get an Indiana Jones reaction out of almost anybody. You can just tell, even with casual dress. But I'd say if you're going to do it, go with the collared shirt, sleeves rolled up and some cool pants. Don't tuck the shirt in either.
I've long since dropped the Indy look. Went to school a full year dressed as Indy. Simply put, I wish I never had. I never got anything negative out of it, but it always sticks around. I've since discovered leather pants and long hair has a better reaction among the peers I was aiming for. ;)

No Ticket

I sometimes wear a fedora, but I never try to look like Indiana Jones when I do, although I do it kind of as an homage to the series because I love it so much. I think I've managed to pull it off fairly nicely though.

fed.jpg

Doesn't look that out of place right? I try to wear it with at least a jacket of some kind, but otherwise I think it works okay with Jeans and a shirt.

fed2.jpg

I have a few others and one that is an actual Indiana Jones hat. Yes, I also have the jacket and the whip and all that jazz. One day I might actually post a picture of me in the get-up but don't count on it. If I didn't have such a baby face I could pull off the Indy look better, in costume. But I don't think that'll happen anytime soon (and that's okay by me) :)

Last edited:

IndyJoey

The_Raiders said:
Any brown fedora is going to get an Indiana Jones reaction out of almost anybody. You can just tell, even with casual dress. But I'd say if you're going to do it, go with the collared shirt, sleeves rolled up and some cool pants. Don't tuck the shirt in either.
I've long since dropped the Indy look. Went to school a full year dressed as Indy. Simply put, I wish I never had. I never got anything negative out of it, but it always sticks around. I've since discovered leather pants and long hair has a better reaction among the peers I was aiming for. ;)

Well, ive got positive and negative reactions from it. My friends call me indy, im known through the school as "The Guy who wears weird clothes" I've won a few school awards from it, but in the beginning of the year i was an outcast and people were like "That nerd who dresses like Indiana Jones" to me now they are like (because im more... popular i guess) its more of "That ballsy guy who dresses as Indiana Jones" which i am completely fine with. All though, being popular isnt much fun, it makes things easier, and harder. Its always more of a competition with people, although i dont really care what people think, but people dont mess with you when you're popular as much... but i (luckily) am popular, but i hang with the unpopulars, because they are my real friends... But yeah, thats what wearing indy clothes has brought me... Good and bad.

The_Raiders

IndyJoey said:
Well, ive got positive and negative reactions from it. My friends call me indy, im known through the school as "The Guy who wears weird clothes" I've won a few school awards from it, but in the beginning of the year i was an outcast and people were like "That nerd who dresses like Indiana Jones" to me now they are like (because im more... popular i guess) its more of "That ballsy guy who dresses as Indiana Jones" which i am completely fine with. All though, being popular isnt much fun, it makes things easier, and harder. Its always more of a competition with people, although i dont really care what people think, but people dont mess with you when you're popular as much... but i (luckily) am popular, but i hang with the unpopulars, because they are my real friends... But yeah, thats what wearing indy clothes has brought me... Good and bad.

Indeed, indeed. I've gotten the same reactions as my time as Indy, which was about three years ago, I think. People liked it, and liked me, but not in the way I wanted them to. It was more of they liked being entertained by something different. I'll admit, I was concerned about what people thought. So I went with the same style as everyone else for a while, it just didn't feel right trying to be like everyone else, so when I really got into the Doors, (I already had long hair) I just parted it down the middle, and got me some leather pants, and it's had the type of admiration I'd hoped it would. But I don't go to a normal school, so people dig that kind of stuff where I'm at. I've become one of the main popular guys at my school, and I agree with your opinions on popularity.
Good on ya for just bein' you, brother. Sometimes it doesn't always bring popularity, but the people it draws are real.

Junior Jones

I wear my fedora to work almost every day, with a shirt and tie, and I have for many years. At first I was self-conscious about it, but now it's just part of my look.