Riddick

This is my must see movie this year and will probably leave all the other competition in crematoria.

Remember folks...in the latin alphabet Riddick begins with an I. Shine.

kongisking

I was going to make some snarky comment about that LC reference being a little wonky, but I gave up. Instead, I'll say this: yes, looking forward to Riddick as well. Enjoyed both the previous movies (yes, even Chronicles, which I admire for its ambition).

I think the Hollywood formula for finding a completely original character, that doesn't fall into the typical stereotypes, is a tough call. So many similar story lines, plots, dialogues and stunts that have been done to death time and time again.

At least Riddick is cut from a different cloth. And poles apart in the originality stakes, and stands up on his own, compared to the vast majority of other antagonist formulas they regurgitate.

You have to agree that shaving your head with axle grease and a bespoke blade is pure unadulterated lunacy that would make even Clint squint twice.

..can't think of many other characters that make the grade.

Jack Sparrow. Jason Bourne. Indiana Jones. Maybe?

I thought that this was a prequel. I don't quote know where I drew that conclusion?

Twohy and Vin Diesel have nailed a specific genre of the sci-fi market - as well as the team behind all the CGI. I hope to see more - especially as Furia has yet to be explored and scores will have to be settled with the Necromongers.

And, of course, there is always the back story. Before 'Pitch Black'.

I will most certainly see this again. A job well done.

More Riddick please!!

kongisking

Gekkos Big Baws said:
I thought that this was a prequel. I don't quote know where I drew that conclusion?

Twohy and Vin Diesel have nailed a specific genre of the sci-fi market - as well as the team behind all the CGI. I hope to see more - especially as Furia has yet to be explored and scores will have to be settled with the Necromongers.

And, of course, there is always the back story. Before 'Pitch Black'.

I will most certainly see this again. A job well done.

More Riddick please!!

Agreed. I like the fact Twohy got away with making three kinds of movies and releasing them as one film. First act was survival story, second act was Riddick as slasher film killer, and third act was mercs-versus-alien-monsters movie.

Come to think of it, Riddick's sort of a Conan in space...and no, not that Conan with the goofy hair.

roundshort

A good friend of mine reviews movies for a high profile magazine, as well as edits for several fan boy sites, and he has named this worse movie of the decade so far. I think the quote was "A hero for every 80 lb boy that got beat up a lot, and could not aspire to be at least a Ninja..." I feel bad that Vin had to mortgage his house to get this made. I am sure he can find a nice pad in the mid west....

kongisking

roundshort said:
A good friend of mine reviews movies for a high profile magazine, as well as edits for several fan boy sites, and he has named this worse movie of the decade so far. I think the quote was "A hero for every 80 lb boy that got beat up a lot, and could not aspire to be at least a Ninja..." I feel bad that Vin had to mortgage his house to get this made. I am sure he can find a nice pad in the mid west....

Why did your friend hate it so?

Also, worst film of the decade? Seriously?

They made this movie on a fraction of the previous budget. I guess Vin realised the potential and that's why he put his money where his mouth is.

...and I'm sure he won't have to resort to signing on the dotted line for the next instalment of Expendables.

Better to be a dawg on a roll rather than a cat in a bag just waiting to drown.

roundshort

kongisking said:
Why did your friend hate it so?

Also, worst film of the decade? Seriously?

Just more of the same-ism as we are seeing with all the pointless superhero movies. Bad (cheap) CGI and too much of it. Lack of any story or character development, or acting chops. It seems to be a theme to create CGI S**tstorm movies that will sell to mainly Asian markets to try and make the easy $$$$.

At 40 million plus 20 million to market the $52 million so far worldwide will probably spell the end of this one. Maybe made for TV series? Or Vin can do another EXTREME X movie?

kongisking

roundshort said:
Just more of the same-ism as we are seeing with all the pointless superhero movies. Bad (cheap) CGI and too much of it. Lack of any story or character development, or acting chops. It seems to be a theme to create CGI S**tstorm movies that will sell to mainly Asian markets to try and make the easy $$$$.

At 40 million plus 20 million to market the $52 million so far worldwide will probably spell the end of this one. Maybe made for TV series? Or Vin can do another EXTREME X movie?

This baffles me. Superhero movies are "pointless"? No more than any other genre. Any genre of storytelling has a certain appeal (perhaps not to you or me, but there's an audience for anything, believe me).

"Bad CGI and too much of it"? Well, most superheroes possess powers that require CG to convincingly bring to life on screen. I don't know what you expect them to do, have a plastic doll of Superman flying in the air, instead of a CG model that you can manipulate to pull off all kinds of incredible feats? CG is like any tool: it has it's advantages depending on the context, and superheroes are pretty much the perfect vehicle for the process.

Most bizzarely, "lack of any story or character development, or acting chops"? So...you don't consider Robert Downey Jr., Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, or any of the multitude of fabulous actors and actresses utilized in many superhero films to have acting chops?

Plus, the Dark Knight trilogy created a trilogy-wide arc for its title character. I'd call that both a story AND character development.

Sorry for my rant. But this kind of close-mindedness and lack of rationality irks me.

P.S. See Riddick, guys and gals. It's entertaining. I'd like to see more adventures with the character.

roundshort

King, don't get your Dark Knight Under-roos in a bunch. It is not close mindedness it is a different view point. And shocking as it might seem there any many people out there that do not like watching 2.5 hours of CGI. Yes a bit here a bit there is nice, but recent Superhero movies may was well be a Green screen or a cartoon.

But I am sure that Ben Affleck will finally bring some quality acting chops to Batman.....

(I wish I knew how to do a rolling eyes icon...)

I was pretty impressed with Avengers. And thought that the jokes were pretty damn funny. And Downey Jr. as Iron Man was just the cats whiskers. I avoided Iron Man for some time, as I always held Downey Jr. in such high esteem and thought this was beneath his acting scope - kind of feel a little dumb now as it is pure quality - and I'm no fan boy - but the trilogy is epic. And his talents have certainly not wained one jot in my estimation. How wrong I was to have doubted his genius.

Before we get too precious about film making just remember Paramount were touting Iron Man around the 2008 Cannes Film Festival. And no one knew just how that baby was going to build up momentum.

And, I think, as is with most of these types of action movies, there tends to be so much action going on, it's not always easy to pay attention to the dialogue, or magical camera moments where just a facial expression can make (or break) the moment. Which is why either a second or third outing makes sense to fill in the voids. As I experienced with Iron Man 3 and Avengers. Sometimes there was just too much of an information overload. And especially if you were a 3D consumer.

But Riddick deserves praise for it's originality. And respect for it's effort. And all those involved in the process, past and present, whether cast, crew or marketing for they have unlocked the potential for something awesome.

and that can only be brought to it's conclusion with at least another instalment.

And if that equates to a guilty pleasure. Then I am guilty as charged. Send me to Crematoria.

kongisking

roundshort said:
King, don't get your Dark Knight Under-roos in a bunch. It is not close mindedness it is a different view point. And shocking as it might seem there any many people out there that do not like watching 2.5 hours of CGI. Yes a bit here a bit there is nice, but recent Superhero movies may was well be a Green screen or a cartoon.

But I am sure that Ben Affleck will finally bring some quality acting chops to Batman.....

(I wish I knew how to do a rolling eyes icon...)

I'm just trying to help you understand that what you said was bizarrely nonsensical.

And by the way, you're conveniently avoiding the fact you blatantly claimed superhero films completely lack good actors. I find this suspicious...

And yeah, let's judge Affleck for his portrayal as the character, especially seeing as we haven't seen a single second of footage of him as the dude. Ahhh, the lovable logic of a hater. :rolleyes:

See that? That was the rolling eyes icon you claim to not know how to use. The directions are simple: point and click. :hat:

Montana Smith

I'm glad there are films with "2.5 hours of CGI" out there, for those who can't bear watching 2.5 hours of Christopher Reeve hanging on a wire.

Riddick was all right (in Pitch Black and Chronicles). Though I feel he's a minor anti-hero, worshipped in cult quarters. Hence Vin putting up a proportion of the cash himself.

Incidentally, there's a funny thread on IMDB asking whether Riddick is homoerotic because he gets his kit off more than usual! Funny, as I don't recall Angelina Jolie ever being hit with that stick.

Maybe because these Riddick films have a presumed male audience?

Riddick is, nevertheless, already being hit with the "ridiculous" stick by critics.

Finn

Staff member
When compared to all movies ever made, this one may not be up there with Citizen Kane, but I'd still like to hear how it compares to others in its immediate genre.

I did enjoy Pitch Black, and while Chronicles never hit all the right chords, the video games they made were also rather enjoyable, both story and gameplaywise. The character has potential.

roundshort

Finn said:
When compared to all movies ever made, this one may not be up there with Citizen Kane, but I'd still like to hear how it compares to others in its immediate genre.

I did enjoy Pitch Black, and while Chronicles never hit all the right chords, the video games they made were also rather enjoyable, both story and gameplaywise. The character has potential.

Thank you Finn! As a non "gamer" I hate the video game-ation of movies for Cross over appeal. This is just another example of how CGI can be used in nedgative way or over used to create more "life-like" tie is for the X-box.

Now, this is the perspective of a non-video game guy, I do understand how others are into this and enjoy it. And will spend their (or their parents) hard earned $$$ to see these movies.