Time Travel/Ancient astronaut

Gear

Dr Bones said:
Do they have those little bags of nuts on the astral plane?

:p2

Indy's Brother said:
The astral plane may not experience linear time in the same way we do here on the physical plane.

I'd agree with that. Space/gravity affects time. But what if the true mechanics of time aren't really linear, but it's instead a concept accepted to explain it's flow for our human understanding? It's just perception.

Indy's brother

Gear said:
But what if the true mechanics of time aren't really linear, but it's instead a concept accepted to explain it's flow for our human understanding? It's just perception.

While it's very true that we are limited by our physical nature in how we experience the passage of time, we are just as bound by those laws of the physical world in how we not only measure and experience time, but in how we prove it's very existence. Until there is a way to measure it in another way, we have to assume that the same physical laws that make us experience time as linear, and further, to even consider the possibility of time travel must be followed to their end to complete a valid theory of how it is or isn't possible.

There is a theory that gravity is actually leaking out of our dimension into other dimensions, which is why it is a relatively weak force. Since time is affected by gravity, that opens up the possibility that we are experiencing it at a slower rate than we should (but that's relative, would we notice it if time were moving faster or slower?), or that some kind of anomolies exist that could be used to a time-traveler's advantage.

As far as altering your perception of time, famed american seer Edgar Cayce alleged that he could do it, and that anyone else could be trained to as well. Though I don't think that would be considered true time-travel (since it's not interacting with events) it's more time-observation, it is a step toward your idea.

Montana Smith

I first heard of Astral Projection' while delving into a book on the black arts. It was supposed to be the method witches used to travel secretly and commit their acts of mischief.

The way I see it, the projectee would still leave a trail of evidence once they arrived. Though their method of travel would remain hidden.

Gear

Indy's brother said:
While it's very true that we are limited by our physical nature in how we experience the passage of time, we are just as bound by those laws of the physical world in how we not only measure and experience time, but in how we prove it's very existence.

Ah, you just ha'fta open the doors of perception. Break on through.

Indy's brother said:
There is a theory that gravity is actually leaking out of our dimension into other dimensions, which is why it is a relatively weak force.

Well, to me, the obvious culprit seems to be black holes--excuse me-- African-American holes.

Indy's brother said:
Since time is affected by gravity, that opens up the possibility that we are experiencing it at a slower rate than we should (but that's relative, would we notice it if time were moving faster or slower?)

Yes and no. Being susceptible to gravitational fluctuations, time isn't a consistent force. It must be always flowing slightly differently, with all the variables that constantly interact with it. Some differences aren't experienced significantly (e.g.; the moon's pull on Earth over the course of a day), others probably would be (e.g.; a black hole passing very close to us).

time-raider said:
"Is there any evidence to either prove this or disprove this?"

To answer your original question; not if the government and/or Zahi Hawass has anything to do with it.

The theory that the U.F.O.s are actually us from the future has been proposed, and I see no reason to shoot it out of the water. And;

time-raider said:
If so what does this mean about not only our past but our future as well?

I'd say probably as much as the result of any two cultures meeting and altering one anothers' way of life.

Last edited:

time-raider

So would that be like an Anthropologist observing some primative natives or would it be more disastrous like when Columbus "discovered" America?

And on that note there is a good book on that theory by Orson Scott Card called "Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus". (y)