Hello!

BadDates

Hi everyone,
I've been visiting The Raider and reading The Raven for ages and thought that I'd finally get round to registering.
First of all, many thanks for all of the interesting conversations I've listened in on over the years!
I've been a big fan of Indy for a long time. One of my earliest cinematic memories is LC - sadly I was too young to see the others on the big screen. I've made up for that with *numerous* VHS & DVD viewings of all three since though! Looking forward to IJ4 enormously and I'm convinced that it'll be brilliant...I'll eat my Wested if it isn't so! :)

BadDates

Beloved movie franchise...sequel made years later by enormously experienced filmmakers...huge fan expectations...what could possibly go wrong? ;)

Maybe it's a leap of faith...but one must believe :)

No Ticket

Nice name and welcome to the forum... err, at least to posting on the forum anyway.

I'm keeping my expectations of the movie pretty low. I hope it resembles the other Indy movies for the most part so it doesn't feel too "out of place" being that it is coming out more than a decade after Last Crusade hit the big screen.

BadDates

No Ticket said:
Nice name and welcome to the forum... err, at least to posting on the forum anyway.

Thanks! :)

No Ticket said:
I'm keeping my expectations of the movie pretty low. I hope it resembles the other Indy movies for the most part so it doesn't feel too "out of place" being that it is coming out more than a decade after Last Crusade hit the big screen.

Yeah, seriously I guess it's sensible to keep expectations low...the last 'years later' sequel I saw (other than Episode 3) was "Terminator 3"...following up an eye-popping cinematic spectacle with a movie that felt like a straight-to-$1-bargain-bin-DVD (IMHO) was quite an achievement...so my expectations *should* be pretty low!

But having said that, in Indy 4 we have a cast of wonderful actors plus a newcomer (Shia LB) who, on the basis of "Transformers", seems to me to have tremendous potential. In addition, we've been promised that it won't be a CGI-fest...a very good thing I believe!

Anyway, all of my fingers are crossed so tightly that I can hardly type this :)

BadDates

Thanks everyone for your kind welcome! I'll do my best to make some coherent contributions to the discussions :)

No Ticket

BadDates said:
Thanks! :)
"Terminator 3"...following up an eye-popping cinematic spectacle with a movie that felt like a straight-to-$1-bargain-bin-DVD (IMHO) was quite an achievement...so my expectations *should* be pretty low!

A lot of the people I know LIKED Terminator 3 for some reason. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like it was a "straight to video" type of release and "straight to bargain bin" as well.

T3 was weak compared to T2. You really couldn't top T2. Liquid metal is as cool as it gets!

BadDates

Yeah, I remember that T3 did well enough for T4 to get the go-ahead. Personally I felt that although it had a reasonably good storyline, it was fatally flawed by the fact that James Cameron, Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong weren't involved in the project. Apparently even Arnie isn't going to be in T4 apart from a possible brief cameo. Basically I felt like T3 was just milking the Terminator name.
Whereas with Indy 4, just about everyone from the original cast & crew (apart from John R-D & Sean Connery) is onboard...excellent! That to me is a BIG plus! It's that sense of continuity that's the main reason why I'm so optimistic about Indy 4 :D

PS I agree, the liquid metal was seriously cool...now that was innovative use of CGI and couldn't really have been done any other way. I remember coming out of the cinema in '91 thinking WOW! The whole movie was an absolute stunner...the first (IMO) of the shiny modern blockbusters...but with excellent acting, script, atmosphere and character development.

BadDates

Thanks! It should have been better considering that I've had years of Raven-lurking in which to think of one :)

Professor Jones

Welcome onboard, BadDates!!!

BadDates said:
One of my earliest cinematic memories is LC - sadly I was too young to see the others on the big screen. I've made up for that with *numerous* VHS & DVD viewings of all three since though!

Same for me!!! :D

I love your nickname! Great!