fedora

Eric Solo

IkoJones said:
Some time ago I read somewhere that Steve's able to make like one hat a week and has MANY orders.

But I wonder, isn't mentioning suppliers for Indy IV kind of forbidden? I'm a little confused... Am I? I'm not sure :confused:

I forwarded an email from Steve about the hats he made for Indy IV and he went APE****. It's not forbidden (as far as I know), but Steve didn't like it too much. Wouldn't surprise me if Peters Bros. supplied some hats for Indy IV. They make a good looking Raiders style hat. I have one.

Dr.JAH

ClintonHammond said:
"I have been around since before Kennedy"
Evidently you were around before punctuation too....

Me thinks she doth protest too much....

"Don't be mad"
I'm not the one with my knickers in a knot.... You have no proof of your claim, and that's fine.... some people might take you at your word.... Others, like me, will file your claim under "Bull"... for "flop"....
I am not mad and could care less ,make the call monday.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
No problem in talking about the Indy 4 vendors, we've received no official word from them yet. Some of the hat guys have asked us to remove the info because they might have got in trouble because of it, but as long as nobody notices it we're safe. :cool:

Most of the PB's are pretty stiff and don't have a good Raiders block shape.

Dr.JAH

Hello clintonhammond ,I called my friend I stand corrected they were not for the movie they were for some of the crew working on the movie he did not tell me that the first time.sorry to all about the misunderstanding.
Dr.JAH:hat:

Inbanana

About the Adventurebilt hats... if anyone has one, do these come pre-bashed or open crowned? Can you get a certain shape (based on movie, scene, etc.).... or do you have to do this yourself? First time buying a hat... I'm a little worried about screwing it up...

eazybox

Adventurebilt comes any way you would like it, including open crown, and the crown and brim can also be shaped and trimmed to match your head shape-- you may need to send photos of your head from the front, back and side if you would like this customization.

You can request the hat to be shaped like your favorite scene, if you like.

If you are looking for the original Raiders hat, Adventurebilt and Indy Magnoli offer this hat, which they get unassembled from Herbert Johnson, the original manufacturer of the film hats. They then assemble and shape the hats just like the original Raiders version, and add other improvements.

This hat even comes with the vintage maroon oval Herbert Johnson logo in the liner, which the company no longer uses on its newer hats. This hat may be ordered from magnoliclothiers.com and again, the hatter who assembles and blocks (shapes) them is Steve Delk of Adventurebilt.

Your final choice will depend on what you want more in a hat-- are you a person who insists on the original manufacturer, or would you prefer the top quality materials and rugged construction of an Adventurebilt that will take almost anything that real-life adventures can throw at it?

I took the easy way out and ordered both. ;)

Jack

Last edited:

Inbanana

Thanks! That helped a lot... basically, I'm looking for a hat as close to the actual film prop as possible... its probably something I wouldn't wear on a daily basis... just take out of the closet once in a while to look in the mirror and say: "Trust me."... just kidding. ;) I also noticed that you can get either rabbit or beaver felt... I'm not sure which would be closer to the film version (I'm still trying to decide movie hat I like the best)... anyway, thanks again, I'm going to check out Indy Magnoli also...

eazybox

Glad I could help; if you're looking for felt as close to the original as possible, the soft, floppy rabbit felt of the Magnoli HJ is probably the way you want to go-- just keep in mind that the hat may not stand up to the heavy abuse that the Adventurebilts will, but it sounds like you don't require that anyway.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go!

Jack

eazybox

And let's not leave out Marc Kitter and his Adventurebilt Deluxe-- much more expensive but, from everything I've heard, well worth the price.

Jack

JayDee

i have a question, and maybe someone can help me out here. i want to buy a fedora next month, but i cant decide which one i should buy. An AdventureBilt fedora is too expensive for me, so i have to decide whether to pick a Federation or a Federation Deluxe from hatsdirect.com . i just saw that the Federation Deluxe is available in a "dark brown" tone, while the normal Federation is available in "med brown". so i wanted to know which color would fit more with the movie versions of indy´s hat. My favourite color would be the color from the fedora used in "Last Crusade". but for me, it´s hard to tell the differences within the trilogy. hope you understood me ^^

Greetings,
JayDee

Deckard

JayDee said:
i have a question, and maybe someone can help me out here. i want to buy a fedora next month, but i cant decide which one i should buy. An AdventureBilt fedora is too expensive for me, so i have to decide whether to pick a Federation or a Federation Deluxe from hatsdirect.com . i just saw that the Federation Deluxe is available in a "dark brown" tone, while the normal Federation is available in "med brown". so i wanted to know which color would fit more with the movie versions of indy´s hat. My favourite color would be the color from the fedora used in "Last Crusade". but for me, it´s hard to tell the differences within the trilogy. hope you understood me ^^

Greetings,
JayDee

First, ask yourself what the hat is for, are you going to wear it once in a while? All the time, even in weather? Or just sit it on your desk? Either Akubra is a good choice, altho your AdventureBilt standard is what's going to hold up to the elements. Akubra's Federation and Deluxe are not that differant, to my understanding the Deluxe is a bit softer and they are both made from Rabbit Fur Felt. With the Deluxe, the felt is simply a "higher quality". I do believe the correct color would be Mid-Brown w/ a Dark Brown Ribbon. I hope this helps, good luck.

I just found this which may help you as well.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11348

Katarn07

JayDee said:

Greetings,
JayDee

For a difference in $60, does it matter that much to you? I went with the Regular. I have yet to get it though so can't comment on it. But from pics, I actually think the lighter color's more accurate. But it's hard to tell because the thing's always so dusty in the movies. The Deluxe is supposedly better felt as Deckard already pointed out so if that's something important to you for the extra money, I'd go with that one.

eazybox

If you choose the Fed Deluxe and are not happy with the darker color, you could apply Fuller's Earth to make it look lighter. That's what the costumers use to make the film hats look dirty. You can just use a shaker to apply it evenly over the body of your hat, and then brush off any excess.

Personally, I would not want to do that to an expensive new hat but it would be more screen accurate. You can get the right color Fullers Earth from Todd's Costumes, but he says it can't be completely removed without a professional cleaning, so you should be sure you'll want it to stay on your hat before experimenting with it.

Jack

JayDee

Thanks for the answers, guys.

@Deckard: I am not going to carry it outside by a stormy and rainy day or so. One of my hobbies is collecting replicas, and now would be the time to get an Indy hat after all this years. So I have one for the premiere of KotCS. And thx for the link, it will be a great help.

@Katarn: No, the 60 bucks dont make matter to me. My only problem is just the fact, that I wanted to know, which hat would be better in regard of the quality. And which color is more screen accurate.

@eazyboy: That sounds like a very difficult "experiment" for me ;)

IndyCon

OK there?s a hat up for sale that I?m interested in buying but I need other peoples opinions on the quality of it, here's a picture

5fc0_1.jpg

So what do you think.