Young Sherlock Holmes

Wilhelm

Remember that Chris Columbus was writting at the time the script for Indy 3, so Spielberg was influential in both projects.

Young Sherlock

Both have weird temples of death
Both have a person who seems to be kind to the hero but turns out to be an ally of evil (Mrs Dribb in Young Sherlock and Chattar Lal in TOD)
Also it says Anthony Higgins is in the film but i havent seen him, where in the film does he appear??

Canyon

Re: Young Sherlock

Also it says Anthony Higgins is in the film but i havent seen him, where in the film does he appear??

Anothony Higgins plays Rathe in Young Sherlock Holmes, one of Holmes schoolmasters (sorry, I can't find a picture anywhere) and plays Gobler in Raiders.
sketch_gobler.jpg

Oh, and ironicaly, you might be interested in reading this:
http://www.filmtribune.com/youngholmes.html

Tennessee R

I don't think this has been brought up ever before, but in
"The Sign of the Four" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,
An Indian servant's name is Lal Chowder, now by a short line of changes,
Original SotF: Lal Chowder,
Then: Lal Chatter,
And the final ToD: Lal, Chatter

Of course, I got to thinking about how screenwriters might read other works for inspiration, and possibly could have taken that name, and used a variation.

Impossible to prove, I guess, and maybe a wild stretch of imagination, but, nevertheless, the name Lal Chowder caught my eye.

Do you think there's even a possibility?

IndyBuff

That's an interesting find and you may be on to something there. A lot of artists like to reference their influences and this may be one of those instances.

KDuncan

Nice catch there. Sherlock Holmes is one of my three favorite books series, but it's been awhile since I've been able to read through them. I think there is a decent possibility that you're right. :cool:

Kill Cavalry

Speilberg certainly used a lot of Indiana Jones concepts to make Young Sherlock Holmes. Some of the shots in YSH even seem to be directly from ToD. I certainly don't see why they couldn't have taken from Sherlock Holmes to make ToD.

Tennessee R

I would like to say it was the Sherlock Holmes in me that found the connection, ;)
but if not for a strange chain of events, I should have never been keen of the whole matter.

I had been recently cleaning my study, (Or should I say office) when, during a particularly mundane sorting of old papers, I found a blue folder, in which I had so conveniently placed a home-printed copy of the Sign of the Four, some years ago. As I recall, I had placed it in a blue folder in 2003, (very much different than my normal procedure for home-printed books) for the purpose of travelling to Israel, on an archaeological dig, during which time, should I get bored, I would have some small entertainment to fill the lull.
If my head is clear, I hardly touched the volume on that occasion, (Save to use it's back pages to make a journal of the events of the trip) and possibly did not for a long time after.

In between the gap of several years, I managed to read through the work, and put it away again.

It was just days ago, when, after checking the forums, I found a thread on Chatter Lal.

This blue folder I opened, and started to read the novel, and sat it in plain sight, where it sat for several days, when, unoccupied as I was, I read on. As I was on a page, I must have had something to do, and everytime I came back to it, I was always on a page containing the name Lal Chowder.

As obvious as it must appear by now, I looked one too many times at that name and finally, my 'look' turned into 'see'.
As you must be weary of my narrative by now, I will close with, a great thank you to all who have responded, and to everyone, a good night.

Tennessee R.

marshce

(I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything about it.)

(Spoilers are here for Young Sherlock Holmes.)

I was watching Young Sherlock Holmes earlier (produced by one, Steven Spielberg) and I noticed something curious: The killer in this movie dispenses her victims with a blow gun that shoots hallucinogenic darts. During the climax she and Holmes are struggling on the ground. She is desperately trying to point the blow gun at him. She finally points it at his face when he suddenly blows in the other end shooting the dart into her mouth.

This was identical to the scene in the cemetery in Crystal Skull.

Strange. Did anyone else ever notice this nod to Young Sherlock Holmes?

Stoo

Yes, it was on the other week and I hadn't seen the film since it came out so I watched the last 30 mins.
The blow dart gag was in there just like the pre-Raiders coat-hanger gag in a "1941".

marshce

I'd never know that. Is it just a coincidence, an homage (or rip-off), or did anyone involved in Hudson Hawk have a connection to Young Sherlock Holmes (or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, for that matter).

graz

Off topic, I saw that movie on TV the other day for the first time since it came out on video in the 80s. I thought it was excellent - the most underrated kids film of the 80s?

AnImaginaryBoy

graz said:
Off topic, I saw that movie on TV the other day for the first time since it came out on video in the 80s. I thought it was excellent - the most underrated kids film of the 80s?

I'd agree with you, it's just so much fun, and hardly anybody I know seems to have either seen it or even been aware of it. Very sad. Maybe I just know idiots.

But yeah, when I saw Kingdom of the Crystal Skull the first time round, I thought it was a little nod to Young Sherlock Holmes, and I tried adding it as a reference on IMDB, and they weren't having any of it. Mind you, they accepted my nonsense about the film spoofing Manimal, so maybe they're just a bit weird!