General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Dr. Gonzo

^^

Well sort of, the calender ends. It is the end of 12 or 13 "baktuns" if I remember correctly. Some people do think that because it stops that it is going to be the end of the world because they were so precise and advanced with their calculations. If Indy 5 starring Shia really happens it probably will be.:sick:

Amdrag

Adamwankenobi said:
It just gets annoying when people say "It's Indy 5 with Shai!!!! NOOOO!!! Shia can't be the main character in an Indy movie! He can't replace Harrison".

Weeeeeell, who says it's an Indy movie? :rolleyes: As I said in another thread, the upcoming The Incredible Hulk isn't an Iron Man movie, even though the Tony Stark character appears in it.

But if you title it "Indiana Jones and..." it is an Indy movie.

Adamwankenobi

Amdrag said:
But if you title it "Indiana Jones and..." it is an Indy movie.

That's why Lucas should go with a different type of title if he does a Mutt Williams film. Maybe Lucas could go back to using stand-alone titles.

Kingsley

Easy, boys....

Shia seems to be a good guy. And Mutt Williams Jones Ravenwood can be a nice surprise too!

I must admit i like Shia, and I can perfectly enjoy some future movies with him, if they are done well (and if Spielberg is on board). Lucas may be a little crazy, but he can't pull it off alone. And he has talented helpers around him.

Seeing Indy's role as secondary (maybe in screen time) isn't necesary a bad thing.
Think of Orson Welles in "the 3rd Man". He wasn't the main character, but he was the coolest one in that movie (wish I wouldn't have to go 60 years back in gilm history to put an example :p )

No Ticket

I'm a little late to the thread. But I am not going to any Indiana Jones film where Ford is the co-star with Shia being the lead.

Luca$ has lost his mind if he actually thinks that's a good idea. Ford has GOT to be smart enough to turn that down.

COME ON!!!

Be smart and end the series with this. Don't just keep it going to have an excuse to make more money. I would hope Shia is smart enough to also turn a proposition like that down, if he is such a big fan of the series, he should realize that it's best to leave it with Ford (INDIANA JONES) as the hero of this series.

No spin offs. I'm absolutely horrified with this. I am not going to chill out about it. This is just a bad idea. Indiana Jones is the guy I care about. Not Mutt. This is HIS movies. HIS adventures. He is supposed to be one of a kind. Grrr...

NileQT87

something i typed at the shia forum:

luckily, indiana jones can't really get rid of harrison the way star wars did. harrison's been the one telling george lucas when he's nuts for decades.

"you can type this s---, george, but you can't say it." --harrison ford on the star wars set

he even made a comment during the idea brainstorming that he wouldn't be in a spielberg movie like that (some of the early script treatments that were craptacular).

also--big difference... lucas has yet to write or direct an indiana jones film. empire strikes back (by far the best star wars) is practically disowned by lucas because he had the least amount of involvement in it.

spielberg and ford have fairly good sense in comparison with george. george has great ideas, but other people need to help him form them. that's how he's always worked.

and no. NO indiana jones without harrison ford as the star. just no. no. no. no. i like shia. but he's to the franchise what all the other friends of indy were. indy remains the banner name. shia can do lots of heroics in the series, but indy is still the big boss man as far as what the film is about and always should be. and a spin-off... such a bad idea. young indy, imo, actually worked for me on some levels. but it was more a history lesson (i'm a nerd) with some fun heroics and great humor thrown in (young indy getting rid of dinner guests by telling them how mummies are made was great--the only one left at the dinner table was henry, sr.).

a mutt spin-off has a few problems. with the immediate timeline, you can toss in a sequel or two into the late '50s and perhaps as late as '62. after about '63 the way of the world can't function in an indiana jones film. it's the end of that innocence and even capability to be so far outside the rules that indy is. the 1800s imperialism through the 1930s was a very anything goes time period for adventures and maverick archaeology. you could still get outside world rules and laws. science wasn't so advanced that you were being tracked by high tech gadgets and you were controlled the world over. villains didn't have outrageous technology for an archaic figure like indiana jones (who, let's face it, is dressed like a lion tamer). the '50s were really the last decade there was still a bit of that innocence about the world. you take mutt and how far can you go? there's about a 5 year span between 1957 and 1962 where the '50s culture still existed. after that, it's just too modern for an adventure film. the '50s were the last decade where cowboys were still at the height of pop-culture. you had the space race encroaching, but cowboys still existed. you still had zorro, the lone ranger and davy crockett. indy still survives in this climate. but once zorro, the lone ranger and davy crockett (the raccoon cap fad!) are gone... indy just can't breathe as a genre.

shia is only 21. that's also an issue. harrison was 37 years old in raiders of the lost ark. a mutt spin-off would be closer to the young indy franchise in an era where adventure already was dying, rather than at its peak during the young indy years. mutt's world is more at home in american graffiti than maverick archaeology. mutt would be entering the world of regulated science (the kind where you excavate with a fine brush) if he takes after his dad.

Kingsley

No Ticket said:
Ford has GOT to be smart enough to turn that down.

COME ON!!!

Be smart and end the series with this. Don't just keep it going to have an excuse to make more money. I would hope Shia is smart enough to also turn a proposition like that down

I agree it can turn out pretty bad, but it can work too.
My formula goes this way...

Lucas + Shia (n)
Lucas + Shia + Ford (n)
Lucas + Shia + Ford + Spielberg :rolleyes:
Lucas + Shia + Spielberg :rolleyes:

Lucas + Shia + Hayden Christensen :eek:

I was tempted to do a formula without Lucas. But that wont happen. And somehow you can't take Lucas away.
Being totally honest, I wish Lucas could start with a whole brand new idea, and let the good things rest in the place they deserve. We could get to like an Indy 5 (or Mutt 1.5)... but we really don't need it.

Zoetrope

Please, gimme a fn break. I think it's pretty obvious that Lucas was joking. Respect to Georgie boy for giving you all a brain meltdown. Give it a rest, guys.

Zoetrope said:
Please, gimme a fn break. I think it's pretty obvious that Lucas was joking. Respect to Georgie boy for giving you all a brain meltdown. Give it a rest, guys.

Careful, partner. Rationality isn't welcome in these parts. You're likely to get a gang of rabid, spiteful fanboys on your tail.

The Man

I'd love to see any video of that interview. He was probably on a wind-up. After all, Lucas was in "sparkling" comic form during yesterday's Diane Sawyer drone-fest.

Zoetrope

ResidentAlien said:
Careful, partner. Rationality isn't welcome in these parts. You're likely to get a gang of rabid, spiteful fanboys on your tail.

Lucas is obviously well aware of the recent internet backlash and he knows how much fanboys hate Shia. He's just trying to get a rise out of you guys and he succeeded nicely. "I haven't even told Steven or Harrison this"! Sure, but he goes mano a mano with some dude from Fox News and drops the ball right there and then. I'm sure he's laughing at the gullible press about the incendiary joke he has inflicted. Still ...in the world of Lucas, his 'good ideas' and his 'jokes' are often very hard to tell apart. Oh and I agree. Ford drinks Shia's milkshake.

How is it OUR fault if these movies suck? The expectations were set when these guys made those original films we grew up with and supported. They made the movies that changed Hollywood forever and they are the ones who set the bar, now they are making the same dumbed-down films that Hollywood keeps shoving down our throats and suddenly it's the fault of the fans? I don't understand that rationale at all. Lucas can mock us all he wants but he knows the truth which is why he feels the need to downplay his films before they are released. I've never heard of anyone downplaying the hype for their movie. I don't think anyone is expecting the Second Coming but there's no reason why him and Spielberg can't make a quality film that is on par with any of the other decent films they have made in the past.

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
How is it OUR fault if these movies suck? The expectations were set when these guys made those original films we grew up with and supported. They made the movies that changed Hollywood forever and they are the ones who set the bar, now they are making the same dumbed-down films that Hollywood keeps shoving down our throats and suddenly it's the fault of the fans? I don't understand that rationale at all. Lucas can mock us all he wants but he knows the truth which is why he feels the need to downplay his films before they are released. I've never heard of anyone downplaying the hype for their movie. I don't think anyone is expecting the Second Coming but there's no reason why him and Spielberg can't make a quality film that is on par with any of the other decent films they have made in the past.

And who says Indy 4 isn't on par?

deckard24

No Ticket said:
I'm a little late to the thread. But I am not going to any Indiana Jones film where Ford is the co-star with Shia being the lead.

Luca$ has lost his mind if he actually thinks that's a good idea. Ford has GOT to be smart enough to turn that down.

COME ON!!!

Be smart and end the series with this. Don't just keep it going to have an excuse to make more money. I would hope Shia is smart enough to also turn a proposition like that down, if he is such a big fan of the series, he should realize that it's best to leave it with Ford (INDIANA JONES) as the hero of this series.

No spin offs. I'm absolutely horrified with this. I am not going to chill out about it. This is just a bad idea. Indiana Jones is the guy I care about. Not Mutt. This is HIS movies. HIS adventures. He is supposed to be one of a kind. Grrr...

As usual No Ticket you summed it up nicely!

Hopefully the whole thing is just a ruse on Lucas' part, but Ford and LaBeouf chatting up the idea does give the story a bit of weight. I like LaBeouf but the Indy series need to remain the Indy series, not the Mutt and Indy, Indy and Mutt series! Anything else just cheapens it in my opinion.

Why can't LaBeouf just go do Transformers 2, Eagle Eye, and then something else with a character carved out just for him. As much as I'm looking forward to KOTCS, there's a big part of me regretting they even made this film. Spielberg invented the shot of Indy riding off into the sunset, and maybe that's the way it should've ended! No one had a problem with that ending, but Indy taking second seat to LaBeouf in a series of spin-offs I can't see being received well.

tnswman

Agent Spalko said:

go back and read the last 10-50 posts you have made and you will see why it's your fault..You are so busy treading on ANYTHING Indy 4, You seem to loose sight of the fact that NOTHING will make you happy, so why even go? Why? so you can find a small group of people that think like you do and come to a message board and proclaim that you are right in your opinion? Does that make you the person you are? If so, I REALLY feel sorry for your lack of a life...and lack of common sense.

tnswman said:
go back and read the last 10-50 posts you have made and you will see why it's your fault..You are so busy treading on ANYTHING Indy 4, You seem to loose sight of the fact that NOTHING will make you happy, so why even go? Why? so you can find a small group of people that think like you do and come to a message board and proclaim that you are right in your opinion? Does that make you the person you are? If so, I REALLY feel sorry for your lack of a life...and lack of common sense.

Yet you always feel the need to respond. If you cant handle the truth don't respond to my posts Mister "I'm-the-Steve Sansweet-of-Indy-Collectibles-and-you're-not." What a joke. You think a fan is someone who buys 10 of every vintage Kenner figure AFA graded. Loser.

tnswman

Agent Spalko said:
Yet you always feel the need to respond. If you cant handle the truth don't respond to my posts Mister "I'm-the-Steve Sansweet-of-Indy-Collectibles-and-you're-not." What a joke. You think a fan is someone who buys 10 of every vintage Kenner figure AFA graded. Loser.

LOL!! Obviously you don't even know who you are talking to LOL!

I feel the need to respond to you because I simply hate you and I like making you mad and allowing you to show people how ignorant you are ;)

I will send you a free copy of the newspaper articles about my collection though ;) I will even sign it for you (y)

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:

No, a fan is someone who enjoys the films and doesn't wish for the newest installment to fail.

Raiders112390 said:
No, a fan is someone who enjoys the films and doesn't wish for the newest installment to fail.

I never said I did. I wish that wasn't but Luca$ ****ed us on $tar War$ and he's going to again. If you don't like what I have to say there's always IGNORE. Guess you're too ignorant to figure out how to use that function though.