Spielberg "happy to make another Indiana Jones movie"

Ste2652

Steven Spielberg has said he is happy to make another Indiana Jones movie if fans enjoy the long-awaited fourth film, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The director will join stars Harrison Ford, Cate Blanchett and Shia LaBeouf for the film's Cannes premiere later.

Asked at a press conference if he wanted to make another film, he said: "Only if you want more.

"That's why we made this Indiana Jones. We'll certainly have our ear to the ground to hear what happens."

"That'll decide were we go from here," Spielberg added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7406990.stm

So... Lucas has hinted at it, Ford hasn't ruled it out and now Spielberg is in favour. Could we have Indy 5 by 2010?

Indy Jones

Here's hoping. Maybe someone other than Lucas can come up with the McGuffin so it won't take a billion years to write the script.

I say go with the Staff of Aaron or something, so that the upcoming game ends up becoming a movie adaptation :p

Skipper

I'll never understand why it took so long to get a script for Indy 4. After all, even Lucas says that Indy 4 is exactly like the other 3 movies, so it's not like it's some sort of revolutionary, ground-breaking concept they've come up with. If it took 15+ years to get a script for Indy 4, then why wouldn't it take just as long to get a script for Indy 5?

(Don't get me wrong -- I'm not complaining. I'm ecstatic to finally have an Indy 4!)

blueseattle

It reminds me of that line from Garden State:

"Try it on now, before you go and we don't see you for another nine years."

sandiegojones

Well, Lucas has an idea apparently so it's likely Steven would go with it if they could squeeze it into his schedule. I'd be curious to know what it would be about since they've done stories in South America, Egypt, China and India. There's not too many things left and since the "Lost City of Gold" was used for this current film Atlantis is unlikely (don't won't to exhaust the the "lost city" plot line).

I guess if Mutt was the primary focus it could open things up, especially if Indy is now married (which is why I think Lucas assumed Harrison would have a secondary role).

Salacious

I want Indy 5 as long as Mutt isnt in it. If you bring back a sidekick, make it Sallah or Short Round. But I would only prefer the female interest in it instead of other Male sidekicks all the time. He can have some help in a few scenes, but not throughout the movie. I just think it takes too much away from Indy.

davejames

Skipper said:
I'll never understand why it took so long to get a script for Indy 4. After all, even Lucas says that Indy 4 is exactly like the other 3 movies, so it's not like it's some sort of revolutionary, ground-breaking concept they've come up with. If it took 15+ years to get a script for Indy 4, then why wouldn't it take just as long to get a script for Indy 5?

(Don't get me wrong -- I'm not complaining. I'm ecstatic to finally have an Indy 4!)

Agreed. It seems like Spielberg and Lucas spend so much time quibbling over what the next macguffin is going to be, when it really doesn't matter all that much in the final movie anyway! The artifact is just a thin excuse to send Indy and his pals on a huge adventure all over the world, and from one crazy action sequence to another.

The characters usually don't even find and deal with the power of the artifact itself until the very end.

In any case, it's GREAT to hear that Spielberg is interested in doing another one. I was worried that this was just a "for old time's sake" kind of thing, and he was only really interested in doing serious arty stuff anymore.

Last edited:

DetectiveFork

Yay! It's awesome to hear Spilerberg, Lucas and Ford talking about another sequel. I had a feeling they weren't settled on KotCS being the last.

Vendetta08

So it's pretty much confirmed. If Crystal Skull does good, Lucas and Spielberg will make a fifth film with Mutt in the lead and Indy playing second fiddle.

indytim

If you just watched the live feed from Cannes as the audience left the cinema you may have seen George and Steven come out first (with their partners). As they stood at the top of the steps George leaned over to Steven, held up one finger, and clearly mouthed 'one more'. What he was talking about is anyone's guess but I know what we are all hoping for!!! :hat:

Ste2652

Vendetta08 said:
So it's pretty much confirmed. If Crystal Skull does good, Lucas and Spielberg will make a fifth film with Mutt in the lead and Indy playing second fiddle.

I'm not so sure. That was only one sentence of what Lucas said - in an interview from Cannes, Spielberg said that he considers casting Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones as the most important element of the entire Indy project (he explicitly ranks it as more important than himself directing!) - now that Harrison has proven beyond doubt he can still be a convincing Indy (I haven't read all of the reviews but not many consider Harrison's age to be an issue), I can't see why they'd remove him from the central role. My guess is that Spielberg will insist on having Harrison as Indy in the main role.

I also think they'll go for a more 'traditional' MacGuffin next time... more along religious lines (like the Ark, Sankara stones and the Grail) or perhaps myth/folklore lines that the crystal skulls.

blueseattle

I think a fifth one would look better as whole series. If Indy is second gear, it will be a good closer, too. It could be his last hurrah, really.

I never once considered Last Crusade to imply it was his last adventure. I'm a history dork, so I always considered it to mean exactly what it meant, the last crusade, as in the wars. So, it made sense.

Having the last one with Indy as more or less the professor and driver of facts with some greater action resolved by him, would work for me.

It just needs some solid story and I think all of us would be able to come up with that.

Kingsley

indytim said:
As they stood at the top of the steps George leaned over to Steven, held up one finger, and clearly mouthed 'one more'.
Wow! we are getting more footage stuff in these couple of days than in the last 19 years!

So, Indy 5 depends on us now :rolleyes:

Attila, let's open an Indy 5 section and let the discussion begin...

QBComics

An Indy 5 would be nice but it would have to have:

1. A good Macguffin
2. Not guest starring Indy
3. A strong plot
4. a good ole' badguy

Vendetta08

Ste2652 said:
I'm not so sure. That was only one sentence of what Lucas said - in an interview from Cannes, Spielberg said that he considers casting Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones as the most important element of the entire Indy project (he explicitly ranks it as more important than himself directing!) - now that Harrison has proven beyond doubt he can still be a convincing Indy (I haven't read all of the reviews but not many consider Harrison's age to be an issue), I can't see why they'd remove him from the central role. My guess is that Spielberg will insist on having Harrison as Indy in the main role.

I also think they'll go for a more 'traditional' MacGuffin next time... more along religious lines (like the Ark, Sankara stones and the Grail) or perhaps myth/folklore lines that the crystal skulls.

I hope so. I have no problem as long as Indy is the main character(y)

Ste2652

Well, let's wait and see the movie before we bash Mutt. It might work, or it might not. We'll see on the 22nd May.

I'm sure there are other good MacGuffins out there and the Soviets sound like interesting bad guys... I can see them making a return if Spalko and her comrades are popular villains in KotCS. I still think Spielberg won't let Indy be sidelined... after all, you go to see an Indiana Jones movie. Mutt is a different franchise, surely? If they do one more it had to be an Indy movie.

Vendetta08

I like Shia but he is not Indiana Jones. And you CANNOT have an Indiana Jones film with Shia in the lead and Indiana playing second fiddle. You say Mutt is a different franchise, but if a film contains Indiana Jones, you can bet it is an Indiana Jones film.

I'm not bashing Mutt, those things will not change regardless of whether I've seen the film or not. When little kids see Crystal Skull, they will probably prefer Mutt to Indy, but I doubt I will. Thus I will always want The Adventures of Indiana Jones and not the Adventures of Mutt Williams/Jones/Whoever.