Britain's first house at 10,500 years old is uncovered by archaeologists

No offense, Webley-- that was a fine article and I appreciate your sharing it, but I must say, I'm more interested in that archeology student than in the site itself. She'd make a fine female companion for a roguish archeologist. Think I may have to head back to uni and study anthropology... ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
No offense, Webley-- that was a fine article and I appreciate your sharing it, but I must say, I'm more interested in that archeology student than in the site itself. She'd make a fine female companion for a roguish archeologist. Think I may have to head back to uni and study anthropology... ;)

Not to respond to somebody on vacation, but yeah, that was my line of thought too.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
Rowr.

She'll give Kara Cooney a run for her money some day...

Hmmm. That house does come with a couple of nice features.

A while ago I was inspired by the Celts (blame Asterix!) to research their origins, and that took me back way beyond their arrival in Britain to a point 700,000 years ago, when our island was still linked to continental Europe by a wide land bridge, and evidence has been found in Norfolk and Suffolk, of a species of Homo being present at that time.

It is interesting that continental celts thought the British were a backward people, because they still lived in round houses (even Asterix's gallic village shows the transition from round houses to those with straight sides and pitched rooves.

The Star Carr round house is in an area where excavations have uncovered other early examples. This is taken from the notes I was condensing from hundreds of pages of information I'd collected:

Excavations at Howick in Northumberland uncovered evidence of a large circular building dating to c. 7,600 BC which is interpreted as a dwelling. A further example has also been identified at Deepcar in Sheffield. The older view of Mesolithic Britons as being exclusively nomadic is now being replaced with a more complex picture of seasonal occupation or, in some cases, permanent occupation and attendant land and food source management where conditions permitted it. Travel distances seem to have become shorter, typically with movement between high and low ground.

The original modern genetic group in Europe arrived between 9,000 and 5,000 years ago with the spread of farming, displacing the earlier hunter gatherer populations. Such displacement coincided with a population explosion, since farming is capable of supporting up to sixty times greater population than the hunter-gatherer lifestyle in the same area.

No Ticket

Attila the Professor said:
Not to respond to somebody on vacation, but yeah, that was my line of thought too.

Wow. What's wrong with me? I completely didn't notice her. ahha.. I was all caught up in how much information they were able to pull out of what looks like a hole in the ground with nothing in it. Amazing.

Montana Smith

No Ticket said:
Wow. What's wrong with me? I completely didn't notice her. ahha.. I was all caught up in how much information they were able to pull out of what looks like a hole in the ground with nothing in it. Amazing.

What? There was a picture of a hole in the ground on that page? I must have been distracted! :p

The inspiration to study comes in many forms, such as Dr. Alice Roberts from BBC's Coast series:

Alice_Roberts_1397038c.jpg