Don't u think Harrison deserved an Oscar nomination for K-19?

Pier 1981

I saw the film yesterday on DVD, and I found his interpretation wonderful.

I mean, until yesterday I never wanted to see that movie because I thought "...an actor who played one of the greatest hero of all time, a CIA agent, the president of the USA...in the clothes of a Russian captain?!? Come on...", but I totally changed my mind after I' ve seen the movie. He really did a great job, I'm quite surprised that he wasn't even be taken in consideration for the Oscars.

Maybe was the movie a flop?

By the way, Ford looked to me in great shape (although in some shots he looked waaaaaaay old than he is), good sign for the upcoming IndyIV.

Let me know your opinions...

wolfgang

I agree he is in great shape. Anyway, I knew he'd do a good job as a Russian, I mean...he is Harrison FOrd, he can be any character, even Pe-wee Herman......ok, so maybe not any character, but he is a very good actor.

swords

He usually plays larger than life roles, and those belonging to heroes. And they usually seem similiar although K-19 must have been an unique challenge for Ford, since I've never heard him with an Soviet accent.

However, we have seen this type of character portrayed numerous times, its actually more sterotypical, the stoical hero, indifferent.

I like Captain Ramius of the Red October...

THe movie K19 didnt do great things at the box office and it got very bad reviews from critics.
Having said that, Fords russian accent was bad, but not that bad. Look at Meryl Streep in 'Out Of Africa' trying to do a Danish accent! Seriously like...."I harrd a fahrrm in Affrikar!" And she was nominated for an Oscar!!!!
THankfully she didnt win but still she was nominated.

I acctually havent seen the film but have seen ads for it and heard his accent and did not think it was that bad.

I think one of the main reasons actors don't get nominated is if the film doesn't get the box office it wants.

Going back once again to Out Of Africa, the film had huge box office success and got loads of oscars but can you honestly think of one film that got bad reviews and ended up having an actor voted best actor, huh??

Just my opinion. Personally i think he probably should have gotten a nod but..didn't.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy Anna said:
Going back once again to Out Of Africa, the film had huge box office success and got loads of oscars but can you honestly think of one film that got bad reviews and ended up having an actor voted best actor, huh??

Is this a serious question? Because if it is, I'm sure I can dig something up. Be glad to do it. Just say so, next time you're around here. (Same goes for anyone else who is curious.)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Attila the Professor quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Indy Anna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a serious question? Because if it is, I'm sure I can dig something up. Be glad to do it. Just say so, next time you're around here. (Same goes for anyone else who is curious

I wanna know. Especially in light of another thread.

Yeah Attila..

QUOTE *Is this a serious question? Because if it is, I'm sure I can dig something up. Be glad to do it. Just say so, next time you're around here. (Same goes for anyone else who is curious* QUOTE

I wouldn't actually mind knowing if you can dig it up... I'm fairly nifty (Not boasting!) on movies in general but i honestly cannot think of any actor/actress that won best actor in a film that didn't recieve box office success..but if you are looking it up be sure to let me knwo if u find out coz i is interested in that...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Okay...I'll see what I can dig up...naturally, all movies get some negative reviews, but as for those that win for Best Actor or Best Actress at the Oscars...I'll see.

Also, I'd like to add, that there have been numerous "mistakes" when awarding Oscars, for various reasons (politics, pity, prejudice, etc.), so it is very possible that a film not particularly successful critically or at the box-office (the latter doesn't mean much to the Academy anyhow) can win.

[Edited by Attila the Professor on 07-28-2003 at 10:12 pm]

Pier 1981

I didn't care about the Russian accent when I judged Ford's interpretation, simply because in the italian version there isn't any!!!

I heard also the original trace on the K19's DVD, but I didn't remember a particular accent used by Ford or Neeson...