Obnoxious reference to Indy in "Thank you for smoking" trailer

DaFedora

Did anyone of you feel kinda pissed for the thought that I heard briefly in the movie trailer for the film "Thank you for smoking" ?

This cigarette industry guy asks his associate to come up with an icon that will make smoking 'hot' again...

The other guys proposal: "Indiana Jones meets Jerry Maguire".

I dunno , I felt somewhat offended , thought it was a little inapropriate, even misplaced (though frankly I can really imagine that the option to have used the Indy icon back in the 80ies to promote a certain cigarette brand was real enough if Spielberg wouldn't have cared ...

Awkardly enough, we all know Ralph McQuarrie's original concept sketches of Indy (desert pursuit, him on the foreground) depicted him with a sigarette in the corner of his mouth - but I faintly recall that was a time when some movie committee decided to put a ban on such inapropriate advertising or prohibit the encouragement of unhealty smoking habits through film and television broadcast or something...

O well, see the trailer for yourself to make out for yourself if you think it's 'funny' to have a mention of Indy like that or not.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thankyouforsmoking/trailer/

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'm not offended by this however I think it's inappropriate for Indy to be refered to. Imagine if Indy IV came out and that was still in the back of peoples minds... that could put a bad taste in the mouths of parents who would be very much concerned.