What music do you listen to?

InexorableTash

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

But on topic (off topic for this forum I suppose)

Inspired by Indy - more specifically, the music loop from the entrance queue to Temple of the Forbidden Eye, I went hunting for 1930's era music and found:

http://radiodismuke.com/

Delightfully vintage and soothing. And I'm sure my family appreciates a break from the 1960's Exotica I've been digging lately. (Don't worry, Denny, Baxter, Lyman and Drasnin - I'll return to you and your progeny eventually!)

Dr. Gonzo

Montana Smith said:
Leonard Skinner, the teacher who inspired the name of their band died the other day...
Someone needs to start a band called Seymour Skinner.
principal-skinner.jpg

I've gotten majorly into Rush as of late. Much to the disdain of my girlfriend.

Other mainstays that get heavy rotation include Metallica, Mastodon, Travis, The Swell Season along with many classic bands such as Boston, Journey, REO Speedwagon, and Styx, and some other modern acts like Disturbed, A Fine Frenzy, and Coldplay.

Been copying old cassettes and been playing assorted Eagles hits...mostly The Long Run and Already Gone.

Cult of Personality has been making the playlist, (just picked that off on guitar) and since I've been burning disks, I picked up VH's 1984 and Synyrd Gold and Platnum on tape.

Stoo, did you know your man Keith Moon SINGS "When I'm Sixty Four" on the soundtrack to "All This and WWII"?

I promised to convert the soundtrack for a friend...

Stoo

neverAcquiesce said:
I've gotten majorly into Rush as of late. Much to the disdain of my girlfriend.
Oh, I know that feeling since my girlfriend/s (past & present) cannot stand Geddy's voice. I love Rush and have seen them 4 times. Canada's best export!(y)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Van Halen - NO VAN HAGAR
You know I agree with you there, Rocket. Nothing even comes close Roth-era Halen! They were kings. (I saw them 3 show in the '80s but one time it was Van Hagar.)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Stoo, did you know your man Keith Moon SINGS "When I'm Sixty Four" on the soundtrack to "All This and WWII"?
Of course.;) I bought that album at a used record store the same year that "Doom" was released. Keith Moon sang lead vocals on a couple of Who tracks and put out a solo album where he sang lead on every song (which also includes another Beatles song + a Lennon solo song). That said, my turntable is broken and I haven't listened to the LP in years so THANKS for the .MP3!:hat:

Last edited:

The Drifter

Damn, I like so many different types of music. I'll just list some of my favorites.

-Johnny Cash
-Hank Williams Sr.
-Buddy Holly
-The Ramones
-Metallica
-Pantera
-Iron Maiden
-Pink Floyd
-The Rolling Stones
-AC/DC
-Guns N Roses
-BB King
-SRV
-George Jones
-Jerry Lee Lewis
-Elvis
-Exodus
-Alice Cooper
-Muddy Waters
-CCR

There's tons more that I enjoy.

DiscoLad

Instead of posting a huge list... :p
Give or take a few away from Rocket's post, then add Disco.

And there you have it. :D

davidraphael

Jazz of all periods: 1920s - modern day
Classical music. Again, all periods; Everyone from John Dowland through to Philip Glass
Electronica (everyone from Raymond Scott in the 50s, the Radiophonic workshop in the 70s to Boards of Canada and beyond)
Soundtracks . the golden age composers: Bernard Herrmann, Franz Waxman et al
Prog: Genesis, Floyd, Camel, Yes etc

HJTHX1138

I was looking for this thread.

I'm not really going to mention genres (too broad) but I will say this: I've never encountered a Post-Punk song I didn't like in some way.

Onto bands:
- Fad Gadget
- Wall of Voodoo
- Devo
- Pink Floyd
- Oingo Boingo
- Daft Punk (Tron Legacy OST=(y))
- Skinny Puppy
- The B-52's
- Soul Coughing
- Kratwerk
- Depeche Mode
- The Buggles
- Men Without Hats
- Alice Cooper
- Tones on Tail
- The Cars
- Metallica
- Alice In Chains
- NIN
- Orchestral Manouvers in The Dark
- Lots of OST's

DaFedora

Well... other than soundtracks (am a big buff) I can say I generally like music and lyrics that has the capacity to touch one's soul. It can be as gentle and ethereal as a Sarah McLachlan, Jamie Woon or Evanescence... Also I find many works of Anthony & the Johnsons to have such a transcendent, magnificent edge.

For the rest I really keep it broad but I'm not at all into hiphop, hardtrance and RnB. I started rediscovering deep house, progressive too (but I fail to memorize DJs names unless it's really a shocker).

I keep discovering so much electro house and club mixes, it's hard taking out just a few artists of preference.

In a completely different category set: Three Doors Down, Something Corporate, Perpetual, R.E.M., Thievery Corporation, Federico Aubele, Jonathan Jeremiah...: high class in my book.

Whenever I feel like I need a mental boost, I tend to put on things like "Blow Me Away" (Breaking Benjamin), "Bittersweet Symphony" (The Verve), "Harder to Breathe" (Maroon 5), "Always on the Run" (Kingdom Come), "Finding Myself" (Smile Empty Soul), "Bother" (Stone Sour -- also a FABULOUS videoclip)...

After a very busy day, my favorite pick is chill-out lounge, Latin lounge etc (Hotel Costes and Café del Mar labels). It's without lyrics often, but it's soothing... I discover a lot of fresh digital releases browsing BeatPort.

Something about the 'resources':
I haven't been using iTunes sofar (probably just for the reason I've been using a Creative MP3 sofar... but it's seen its better days and thinking of getting a new one), but am using Spotify like mad nowadays. Started making some playlists, one is called "On the road" for a reason to listen to as I cruise someplace in the weekends :D.

Looking forward to have a new car with a more proper sound system, complemented either with a discloader in the trunk OR a digital HDD that is able to plug-and-play playlists (.m3u type or otherwise)... I should compare some options I guess :)

DaFedora

goodeknight said:
I believe the question should be rephrased for Webley. What music don't you listen to?

My thoughts exactly when I scrolled down (y)
Yet, I am now checking out some bands he quoted (just curiosity)... I dig what I heard sofar :)

In the genre of 'Three Red Jacks', I guess Webley must know the Bonedrivers then :). Hah -- TRJ even has a track called "X marks the spot" :whip: Ain't that Raven-worthy !!

The_Raiders

Just about the only thing I listen to is classic rock. The Doors are my all time favorite band, Creedence Clearwater Revival following closely behind. I also like a lot of old blues guys, like Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon, so on and so forth. I listen to some Foo Fighters as well, I have many other songs that I listen to, but that's more because I like a specific song by an artist, and don't look much into the band besides that.