Left 4 Dead

00Kevin

Indyfan
last november, the same people who were behind games the half-life series, counterstrike, team fortress and portal released what i would consider the greatest zombie game of all time: Left 4 Dead

basically it's you and 3 other uninfected survivors making your way through a city/forest/countryside/etc. region filled with flesh-eating zombies. you are trying to reach someone with vehical access (chopper/plane/boat/armored car) who can help you safely escape from the hellish city you once called home.

the emphasis of the game is on cooperation, if a member of the team is knocked down or pinned by a horde of zombies, only one of the other survivors can save them and help them up. in another scenario in the game you can play as either the humans trying to survive or as a special 'zombie' trying to kill the remaining survivors

The game is one of the most popular online experiences out there and i myself have lost countless hours fighting through the hordes of infected. there are so many cool features in this game that i could go on forever

anyone else into this game?

intro video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbzyt79iSR0

The_Raiders

You got a fan here! I usually don't play many games, and I usually find zombie things pretty lame, but I LOVE Left 4 Dead. I'v spent many hours fighting my way through the infected.
Who's your favorite survivor? I gotta go with Bill. (y)

DocWhiskey

My buddy plays this nonstop. It looks like a really fun game. I've heard mixed reviews though.

Grabbin' pills!

Nurhachi1991

Nope I ******* hate this game. I got it for Christmas and did not care for it at all there are only 4 campaigns it's only fun with your friends and theres only like what 4 guns? A pipe bomb and a moltov.

Leave Zombie games to Reisident Evil or Dead rising

Snakes

I think you might be missing the point of the game, Nurhachi. It's not meant to be played by yourself, and it's more about the atmosphere and the suspense of not knowing exactly whats going to happen that makes this game stand out. Maybe its just not your cup of tea.

Nurhachi1991

I know all about the game the director's AI is cool and all but there is not enough substance in the game for me so I honestly did not care for it and I had 3 friends playing it with me. I just diddn't like the game

00Kevin

Indyfan
i go with Louis when i can. contrary to the famous discussion from Canadian Bacon, this black guy does not die first

Billy Ray

I absolutely love L4D! They finally pulled off making a game where teamwork is not just encouraged, it is imperative to making it out alive. I have played a lot of online co-op FPSs in my time and, unless you have a couple of friends playing or are in a clan, it usually turns into a bunch of lone gunman running around (usually sniping), simply trying to boost their stats. L4D pretty much forces you to work together. If you don't, you aren't going to make it.

I do wish there were more weapons available and maybe a few more levels...and I think they could have tied the levels together into a story maybe, but when it comes down to it it's really just about surviving and killing zombies...which is great!

00Kevin

Indyfan
DOOOOOOOOOODEEEE, nothing like resurecting my own thread eh?

for those who don't know, Left 4 Dead 2 is coming out november 17th. public demo comes out on the 3rd but if u preordered the game u already have demo access! i'm really wanting to play but i'm never at home and can't find time :(

Le Saboteur

I just noticed this thread...

Despite the heavy advertising here in the Bay Area, I never picked up the initial release. The word "derivative" lept out at me -- zombie killing in yet another East Coast locale? No thank you. I have other things to do with my time and gaming money.

But when L4D2's setting in the American South came out, I had to give it a look! The demo won me over, and I picked it up the day it was released. I've yet to beat The Parish finale, but it is pretty damn awesome. And from what I've read, L4D2 is what L4D should've been.

Infected killed: 4,801
Games played: 16
Finales survived: 4 (25%)
Favourite weapons: Uzi, Tactical shotgun, and the Fire-axe. I have the baseball bat code, but I've opted more for the fire axe recently.
Most played character: Nick (100% of campaigns)

I wish Steam counted games played differently. I normally don't play more than a map at a time since I don't want to spend hours slogging straight through each campaign. This is also why I only have one completed campaign achievement -- Weatherman for Hard Rain.

Le Saboteur

If you got a brave heart, come and visit any day.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zc19m1OTXs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zc19m1OTXs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

For those L4D2 players still around, Valve just released the first expansion campaign!

"The Passing" picks up with Nick, Rochelle, Ellis, & Coach just after the "Dead Center" campaign. Our heroes have reached a seemingly impassible location -- a bridge is up, and can't be lowered until the generator's restarted. Out of Jimmy Gibb's race car our heroes venture and into...

66892_Left4Dead2ThePassing-Poster-01_normal.jpg

"The Passing", unlike the original campaigns, is a three-map adventure set in the town of Rayford. After finding out the bridge can't be raised, the survivors make their way through the town and ultimately to the opposite side of the river for the grand finale! It's a doozy, too! Just be sure to remember that the M-60 is a great murdering beast.

The greatest Southern Rock band is back with an all new song too!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JJ7LPAm7f4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JJ7LPAm7f4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

billionsofzombies.jpg

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

the_sacrifice_poster_img.jpg

Ready for another round of the zombie apocalypse?! Following on the heels of "The Passing", is "The Sacrifice"! This time around gamers take control of one of the original survivors - Zoey, Francis, Bill, Louis - and play through the events that led right up to all the survivors meeting at the bridge in "The Passing."

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SvzjTbBCZTI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SvzjTbBCZTI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Want to catch up on everything that's happened so far? Check out the comic!