Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #126
Plaristes
IndyFan

Cool!
Plaristes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #127
whipwarrior
IndyFan

Thanks. FYF #17 was always one of my favorites as a kid, particularly because the authors wrote the story with a sense of humor. Even the bad endings are funny, so the reader at least faces their mortality with a smile.
whipwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #128
Davidblue
IndyFan

These books are an interesting topic. I think it's important for every collector of Indiana Jones. I buy from Amazon the first nine books. On arrival I give my opinion here.
Davidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #129
Davidblue
IndyFan

Finally came the books I ordered. They are very nice and although they are intended for a child or youth groups, are prized collectibles items for every fan of Indy. In the upper left corner of my "Curse of Horror Island" and "Eyes of Fates" is an inscription that says "Special Book Club Edition" I did not see before in any of the books in this collection.
Davidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #130
whipwarrior
IndyFan

The Book Club Editions were sold at book fairs back in the 80's. My original copy of FYF #4, purchased at the Scholastic book fair in elementary school, has the same notation on the cover, while the copy in the boxed set does not. Otherwise, the interior of both editions is exactly the same.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #131
whipwarrior
IndyFan

I finally scored a near-mint copy of Mask of the Elephant on eBay! While I paid more than I consider the book to be worth, it's so rare (in ANY shape, let alone like-new) that I just had to grab it to complete my Find Your Fate Indy display collection. I'll post a picture of the entire set when the book arrives.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #132
whipwarrior
IndyFan

Here, at last, is the entire Indiana Jones FYF series, including the ultra-rare Mask of the Elephant and equally obscure Morgan Swift books:

The collection is now complete.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #133
Stoo
IndyFan

Congratulations, whip warrior, on getting a near-mint copy to replace your tattered one. Mazel tov!

Are you going to keep the old one?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #134
whipwarrior
IndyFan

Yes, I'm definitely keeping my old books because they have a lot of sentimental value; I spent many happy hours of my childhood adventuring through the pages of the Find Your Fate books with my hero, Indiana Jones. I gathered up this new set to enjoy reading without subjecting my vintage books to further damage (I actually read the cover off Cup of the Vampire as a kid, and had to literally re-attach it with tape!). Cult of the Mummy's Crypt and Mask of the Elephant endured similar damage, also repaired with scotch tape. Ballantine really should've made those little books more durable to endure obsessive use by rabid Indy fans!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #135
CharronThanas
IndyFan

Hey you guys,

I just love those Find your Fate books. And they are usually the hardest to get......I collect Star Wars and Dragonlance as well...and it took me years and years to get all of those....

I have one question regarding those Morgan Swift books...do they have anything to do with Indy (sorry for that...I really don't know )

And if someone is looking for Cup of the Vampire...I do have a spare one...and also I have a spare of the cluebook from the Infernal Machine.
CharronThanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #136
whipwarrior
IndyFan

No, the Morgan Swift books are an entirely different property, unrelated to Indiana Jones. I just picked them up to fill in the gap in my collection. The stories aren't very exciting, not as many choices to make. The Indy stories are much better.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #137
Duaner
IndyFan

I enjoyed the FYF books. I was always a big Choose Your Own Adventure fan, so naturally when you had Indy books following the same format, I would be a fan. I remember there being a rack of paperback books in my local library. They had a bunch of movie tie-in books on the rack. They had four of the FYF books: Cup of the Vampire, Curse of Horror Island, Cult of the Mummy's Crypt, and Lost Treasure of Sheba. (I remember the rack also had the three Han Solo books by Brian Daley - loved those too!) I almost always had one of the FYF books (sometimes all four of them) checked out. I recently stumbled across a copy of Lost Treasure of Sheba at a used book sale for 50 cents. Of course, I bought it!
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #138
Raiders Remake
IndyFan

I own a few of these Find Your Fate books. They're pretty okay for the most part, but here's a question. In Gold of Genghis Khan, a snow leapord is mentioned. Is it even in the book?
Raiders Remake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #139
Raiders Remake
IndyFan

The only reason I'm asking is because it literally promotes it on the cover and then never included it.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #140
Indy Black
IndyFan

Went back and read through this thread from the start, fascinating. Because when I was in 8th grade (1989), I picked up "Curse of Horror Island". Loved it because it was two of my favorite things, choose your own adventure with Indy. But I thought there was only one book. And all this time thought there was only the one book. My only issue with the story was, I died or was sent home. Seriously my luck was horrible.
Indy Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #141
Joosse
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Black
Seriously my luck was horrible.

Luck has nothing to do with it...

Seriously though, last year I was teaching a class of ten to twelve year olds, and I had put a few of these in my classroom for when they were finished with work.

They loved every page of it.

Good to know Indy still inspires the younger generation.
Joosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #142
Indy Black
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosse
Luck has nothing to do with it...

I'll keep that in mind.
Glad to know Indy is inspiring the younger generation.
Indy Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #143
Vaalwrath
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipwarrior
Here, at last, is the entire Indiana Jones FYF series, including the ultra-rare Mask of the Elephant and equally obscure Morgan Swift books:

The collection is now complete.

Nice! Though I always thought it was "Curse of the Mummy's Tomb" not "Cult of the Mummy's Crypt". That's the only one of those I remember having as a kid.
Vaalwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #144
TheFedora
IndyFan

Looks amazing! I never really got into the choose your own adventure type books... maybe I should have back in the day. However, the covers alone look like they would be great to collect!
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #145
whipwarrior
IndyFan

I recently scored another near-mint copy of FYF #17 on eBay, so if anybody is seeking this rare gem, I'll let it go for $40 + shipping, to recoup my costs.

PM for inquiries.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #146
Indyfan82
IndyFan

Nice find! Is $40 really the going price for this book now? It's hard to believe these Find-Your-Fate books could be so rare....I guess this last title probably had a short print run- that tends to be the case with the last book in a series. I do see the earlier ones in the series pop up every so often at used bookstores and such...
I have most of these books- I need a few more Indy Find-Your-Fate books to finish the collection. It's one of these things that I'd like to get sometime down the road when I have the extra money....
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:28 PM   #147
whipwarrior
IndyFan

I don't know if it's the going rate these days, but that's what I paid for it. Last year I found one for sale on a rare book dealer website priced at a staggering $350. No kidding. I contacted the seller and told him that nobody in their right mind would ever pay that much for a paperback game book. Not surprisingly, he never responded back. Anyway, my extra copy is still available, and I'd let it go for $25-$30 if anyone is interested.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #148
Indyfan82
IndyFan

Wow- yeah, that is insane. (Referring to the $350 price.)
I don't need a copy myself, but maybe some other fans will appreciate your offer. Hope you can recoup your costs.
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #149
Raiders Remake
IndyFan

Hey, in light of the new Indiana Jones, does anyone think there should be a mass market re-release of the Find Your Fate books? It would be better than spending 400 dollars for one.
Note: I have all but one of the Indy Find Your Fate books.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #150
whipwarrior
IndyFan

This offer appeared in IndyMag #3 in an interview with Find Your Fate Indy artist David B. Mattingly:

This is a great deal! I bought three prints from David, and he signed each one for me! It's incredible to examine the artwork in large format, because there are details in the original paintings that can't be seen on the book covers, due to the downscaling. For example, David put his initials on the heiroglyphics on Lost Treasure of Sheba and on the Egyptian gateway in Cult of the Mummy's Crypt! Vintage 1980's Indy novel Easter eggs!

I also contacted Barclay Shaw (artist for the last 2 Find Your Fate Indy books) to see if he also offered art prints of his covers, but unfortunately he sold the original paintings years ago, and is thus unable to scan them for sale. Well, at least I tried!