A Duel Between Classics: Casablanca or Citizen Kane?

swords

Two of the most overrated films ever in history(and for good reason too), I want to know your stand on it: Which one do you like better and why, Casablanca or Citizen Kane? I like Casablanca:

Which one do you prefer?

[Edited by swords on 04-21-2003 at 09:23 am]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
That is a tough one. Of course, they are both highly overrated, but I enjoy them both. Neither is one of my favorites though. I tend to quote Citizen Kane more often, but Casablanca is up there as well. Citizen Kane just speaks to me a bit more, I suppose. Casablanca is much easier to sit through though. I guess the final warehouse scene, along with Mr. Bernstein's story about the girl on the ferry really did it for me, and the whole concept of the reporter trying to find out who he was (if you look at Lawrence of Arabia, you'll see that they are very similar, but Kane uses the reporter throughout and Lawrence has the Bentley character and looks at Lawrence through the other character's eyes, in a way).

Plus, I like the corny Citizen Kane song:

"There is a man, a certain man..."

00Kevin

Indyfan
never saw Citizen Kane(YET :D), but if I did, my vote would probubly still go to casablanca

besides, you guys forget the greatest war-time flick ever:

-The Great Dictator :D

I love that film :D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
00Kevin said:
never saw Citizen Kane(YET :D), but if I did, my vote would probubly still go to casablanca

That was a great flick. The classic barberchair and globe scenes were great, but I loved Hynkel's (Hitler's) speech when he's going on and on about the Chuten in that psuedo-Germanic gibberish, intimidating the microphones, for a couple of minutes, and then the translator just says "His Excellency has just referred to the Jewish people." Classic scene.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Attila the Professor said:
00Kevin said:

That was a great flick. The classic barberchair and globe scenes were great, but I loved Hynkel's (Hitler's) speech when he's going on and on about the Chuten in that psuedo-Germanic gibberish, intimidating the microphones, for a couple of minutes, and then the translator just says "His Excellency has just referred to the Jewish people." Classic scene.

hahaha, yeah

bob

I have never seen Casablanca although i could probably piece together the plot from various spoofs and homages i have seen over the years.

I like Citizen Kane a great deal, it is obviously a great movie. I just dont want to watch it ever again for some reason.

I never saw Citizen Kane, but even if i did i think casablanca would still be my favorite of the two. Heck, casablanca is one of my favorite movies of all time (besides the IJ trilogy and the sound of music). Maybe because I'm a teenage girl, but I think it is the most romantic thing i have ever seen. *sigh* it's such a classic. "here's lookin at you, kid!"

swords

I think almost everyone is in agreement that Casablanca is more enjoyable to sit through. So the duel is won more in favor for it, but everyone seems to agree as well that Kane is great too. I guess experience is better than substance.:)

[Edited by swords on 04-21-2003 at 09:26 am]

For me, this one is easy

Two reasons:

1. My parents met in Casablanca during WWII and they are of two different nationalities. Rather than explain the whole story, they just say they met in Rick's Bar and people stop asking questions. Rick's Bar is fictional, but for most of the world truly exists.

2. Though I owned a sled like Kane's, I never gave it a name. As a consequence, I have trouble identifying with the movie.

MK

While I agree that Kane is over rated, I don't feel that is true for Casablanca. It is a great film on many (if not most) levels.

Kane is a great study on how a film can be made on the cheap and might be a good study from a film making standpoint. Casablanca has that and more.

It delivers. Over rated? Nah.

Streetcar Named Desire...now there is an over rated film.

There isn't a relatable character in the movie. They are ALL whacked!

doggans

I haven't seen *all* of Citezin Kane yet, but I like it so far. Of course, Bogart is one of my favorite actors, so I've always loved Casablanca. :D

Indy Canuck

Casablanca. It has to be Casablanca for me.

Citizen Kane is great. It's a groundbreaker, a critic's dream, and controversial for it's time. It has everything going for it, really. Talent, pushing of the envelopes, nothing is wasted.

But Casablanca has a magic to it. They were not TRYING for Casablanca, it just BECAME a classic. Citizen Kane is a MUST-SEE, but Casablanca is, as time goes by, a "I can watch it and watch it and watch it and watch it" attitude. There's something about it. I can study it as a student of artistic filmmaking, I can read or watch every story behind the film, I can hear all the would've's could'ves and should'ves, yet I can still enjoy it as if it is the first time every time.

What can I say, I like Casablanca. I don't need to justify myself.

"Here's looking at you, kid."

Coldfyre

I'm going simply by what I thought when I saw each of the movies.
The first time I saw Citizen Kane, I thought "Well, that's pretty good, but is it really supposed to be one of the greatest movies of all time?"
The first time I saw Casablanca, I thought "Wow! It really is as good as everyone says."
So it looks like Casablanca wins. : )

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I think I ought to post on this again, after a few months of acquired film wisdom (and the newfound ability to withstand Susan Kane's singing).

Casablanca is a delightful little film, blessed with perfect actors for each character, a pleasant, memorable song, and some classic dialogue.

However, Citizen Kane is the greater of the two films, and perhaps the greatest American example for the auteur theory. Sometimes it just seems like flashy camerawork, but what Welles did really did help tell the story. The different segments from the different characters gives each part of the story a certain distinct feel, and helps Citizen Kane to greatness. I'm not sure that it is the greatest American film, but I can't think of anything else that would be.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
That is a tough one. Of course, they are both highly overrated, but I enjoy them both. Neither is one of my favorites though. I tend to quote Citizen Kane more often, but Casablanca is up there as well. Citizen Kane just speaks to me a bit more, I suppose. Casablanca is much easier to sit through though. I guess the final warehouse scene, along with Mr. Bernstein's story about the girl on the ferry really did it for me, and the whole concept of the reporter trying to find out who he was (if you look at Lawrence of Arabia, you'll see that they are very similar, but Kane uses the reporter throughout and Lawrence has the Bentley character and looks at Lawrence through the other character's eyes, in a way).

Plus, I like the corny Citizen Kane song:

"There is a man, a certain man..."

My girlfriend and I sat just watched CK last night, and the most remarkable thing happened. I was able to step outside of my critical eye, and see how someone with no formal training in film study reacts to what is argued as the greatest American film. For that reason alon, I have to rethink my position on this.

For the record, she was awed by the auteur theroy aspect mentioned earlier in this thread, something that I casually overlooked because I am surrounded by it so often.