Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 01-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #451
Lambonius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyForever
Chris Pratt is the perfect actor right now to play a younger Indy but if anything I could see Spielberg going down the ILM CG de-aging route for Harrison like they are doing for Scorsese with Robert DeNiro on The Irishman. If its good enough for DeNiro + ILM then its good enough for Harrison but the voice is still a lot older not sure how they could ever fix that. It also seems a lot of time, effort & money for nothing.

Christ Pratt is both too old and too jacked to play a convincing Indy. If they recast, they'll go with a lesser-known actor who is on the young side, because recasting is a long-term investment in the future of the IP. They're not going to cast someone who is pushing 40 like Pratt. No way, no how.

Controversy aside, CGI de-aging is also a terrible long-term investment for the future of the franchise. Disney wants to set themselves up to be able to milk the Indy IP far into the future. The only logical course of action from a business perspective is to recast with a much younger actor.

The only question is whether or not it will happen through flashback scenes in THIS movie, or if they'll save it for a full reboot in the next one.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #452
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambonius
The only question is whether or not it will happen through flashback scenes in THIS movie, or if they'll save it for a full reboot in the next one.
Doing the former would be the smarter move in more ways than one.

First of all, you'd give younger viewers a hero they can relate to, for at least part of the movie. Remember, Disney aim to please the whole family, not just parents and grandparents (no pun intended).
My bet is that they'll also have a young female sidekick for the older Indy section of the movie - et voila, everyone is happy.

Secondly, casting a young actor now, say someone in their early 20s, effectively gives Disney a second chance, should they need it.
If the young actor gets a good response great, they can carry on with him in future prequels.
If not, they can scrap him and go for someone a bit older for Indy 6, say late 20s to early 30s, which still gives them plenty of mileage.
Easy to explain away the change of actor if they set the Indy 6 story 5-6 years after the flashback scenes in Indy 5.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #453
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambonius
Christ Pratt is both too old and too jacked to play a convincing Indy. If they recast, they'll go with a lesser-known actor who is on the young side, because recasting is a long-term investment in the future of the IP. They're not going to cast someone who is pushing 40 like Pratt. No way, no how.

Controversy aside, CGI de-aging is also a terrible long-term investment for the future of the franchise. Disney wants to set themselves up to be able to milk the Indy IP far into the future. The only logical course of action from a business perspective is to recast with a much younger actor.

I donít think Pratt will be cast. But Harrison was 40 in Raiders, we should expect the new Indy to be about that age. Nobody really gravitated to a 20 year old Indy...
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #454
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Nobody really gravitated to a 20 year old Indy...

Best casting, ever....

Who was, if I recall, 20 years old while filming this....
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #455
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
I donít think Pratt will be cast. But Harrison was 40 in Raiders, we should expect the new Indy to be about that age. Nobody really gravitated to a 20 year old Indy...

I agree, I think 20 is a bit TOO young. It worked okay for the opening to LC because the point was to show his roots, but I don't think it would sustain an entire movie. The absolute youngest should be late 20s, but preferably no younger than mid-30s. Indy needs to seem knowledgeable, worldly and bit weathered, which is something a 20 year old simply can't convincingly portray.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #456
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
I agree, I think 20 is a bit TOO young. It worked okay for the opening to LC because the point was to show his roots, but I don't think it would sustain an entire movie. The absolute youngest should be late 20s, but preferably no younger than mid-30s. Indy needs to seem knowledgeable, worldly and bit weathered, which is something a 20 year old simply can't convincingly portray.

Agreed fully.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #457
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg

I think mid-thirties is an okay age for a younger actor to be honest. I think its a compromise that almost has to happen , not too young, not too old. But still recognizably Indy, is what I'm trying to say.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:54 PM   #458
IndyForever
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Best casting, ever....

Who was, if I recall, 20 years old while filming this....
If only the Spielberg who made that shot would turn up for Indy 5 instead of the post his popcorn era Spielberg I still think that transition shot is one of the greatest in all the Indy films. Perfect staging, editing, sound, music & atmosphere
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #459
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Speaking of ages, it's funny to think that Short Round is now older (46) than Indy was in the original films.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #460
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Speaking of Short Round, I had a daydream of an Indiana Jones 5 story that takes Indy back to Asia and has him pitted against Ric Young, the actor who plays Lao Che's son (the one that doesn't die). You might also remember him from American Gangster:

One of the questions Temple of Doom left me with was why Lao Che cared so much about the remains of Nurhaci. Yes, it was priceless from a historical perspective, but these guys were hoods, not museum curators. Money is a probable motive, but their gleeful laugh at obtaining Nurhaci is so conspiratorial, you could almost imagine that there's some bigger, more sinister purpose. What if there was some great power/evil they were hoping to unlock?

In my head I already see images of a haunted Manchurian mountain temple, Chinese mobsters, and the return of Short Round. Throw in Mark Rylance as a sidekick while you're at it. I'd see that movie.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #461
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
From Empire (magazine) Online today: Spielberg Will Direct Indiana Jones 5 Before West Side Story https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...st-side-story/
indytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #462
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

The question remains: will he direct something before both of them? He's keeping his schedule suspiciously open for that possibility.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #463
DARTH ZOIDBERG
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytim
From Empire (magazine) Online today: Spielberg Will Direct Indiana Jones 5 Before West Side Story https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...st-side-story/
This Is from The Hollywood Reporter so It Is pretty accurate they are a good Hollywood Trade Paper that my dad used to read in college in the 1970's!

As for who would be a Good Indiana In an Indy reboot I like Chris Pratt I don't think he has much more muscle then Harrison used to have they just put him in tighter clothes to accentuate his muscles for the women watching
DARTH ZOIDBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #464
DARTH ZOIDBERG
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
The question remains: will he direct something before both of them? He's keeping his schedule suspiciously open for that possibility.
The way I read It was Indy 5 Is His next film he Is directing...

Last edited by Finn : 02-06-2018 at 02:19 PM. Reason: tag fix
DARTH ZOIDBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:33 PM   #465
seasider
IndyFan

I'd be surprised if Spielberg takes on another project between now and Indy 5. He likes to take long breaks after he has been working on multiple movies. He'll probably use 2018 to recharge his batteries and do pre-production work on Indy 5 and West Side Story.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:04 AM   #466
FordFan
IndyFan

Quote:

No. That suspicious opening, in my eyes, would be to make sure "Indy 5" has as strong a script as possible. No reason to make this, other than to apologize for "Indy 4".
FordFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:40 AM   #467
Henry Jones VII
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider
I'd be surprised if Spielberg takes on another project between now and Indy 5. He likes to take long breaks after he has been working on multiple movies. He'll probably use 2018 to recharge his batteries and do pre-production work on Indy 5 and West Side Story.
This seems quise plausible to me. These will be two big movie events in need of tremendous pre-production work.
Henry Jones VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #468
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan
No. That suspicious opening, in my eyes, would be to make sure "Indy 5" has as strong a script as possible. No reason to make this, other than to apologize for "Indy 4".

Yeah! Like Rocky Balboa after Rocky V.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #469
Dr.Jonesy
IndyFan

I really, really don't want a fifth film.

As I've probably said here - a fifth film should've been made by 2012-2013 at the very latest and even that was pushing it.

I recall how Spielberg and Lucas say how fun and easy these films are to make but given how much they've dragged their feet with every film past 1984 and especially since 1989 would suggest otherwise.

Harrison is too old - the film is already going to be handicapped at an action-level from the very start due to Harrison's age and the believability factor being something they'll have to watch out for. As much as I love the fourth film, it's evident that with some - the suspension of disbelief was a bit much at times. They have to tone down a fifth film to keep things even for an already potentially skeptical audience.

Plus, I think setting it in the '60s is just too far ahead. It just doesn't feel right.

I think what they should do is maybe do a prequel to Kingdom - de-age Harrison via makeup and digital effects and set it in 1954. The reason for this is simply because it'd be easier to swallow the action set-pieces with Indy not being in his 70s in the canon. Not only that, but Mutt and Marion don't have to be addressed.

A prequel to Kingdom would be ideal for the factor of believable-Indy kicking butt and Harrison does look good for his age, so aging him back 10 years shouldn't be too far a stretch.

I don't know, guys. I think this whole fifth film is a bad idea.
Dr.Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #470
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

The action needs to be dialed down to an extent, but I think people sometimes overstate how physical Indy is in the earlier movies' action sequences, and how critical his physical abilities are in the context of those sequences. If you look at the most iconic action scenes in the series, Indy isn't generally doing things that are that athletic, and the defeat of his foes almost never has to do with physical skill.

The beautiful thing about Indy is that the majority of the scrapes he gets into are resolved by dumb luck or by him resorting to some crazy gambit. Even in the first three movies where Indy is physically capable, that physicality doesn't really help him, as he tends to be outmatched by bigger or more equipped foes. Indy isn't actually capable of beating the German mechanic, so he tricks him into a propeller. Indy doesn't have time to fight the swordsman, so he just shoots him. Indy is outnumbered at the end of Temple, so he cuts the bridge.

Not only would it be really entertaining to watch an old Indy having to find creative or desperate solutions to jams, it would also be completely in-character - and more appropriate than ever.

I am against digitally de-aging Ford. Didn't we get enough digital manipulation in the last movie? The photography in Crystal Skull has this weird digital smear throughout that makes it more reminiscent of Sky Captain than the series it actually belongs to. We need to go in the other direction, not take the artificial look further by giving actors a CGI facial scrub on top of everything else. I don't care how wrinkled Ford is - mortality is far less ugly than whatever Kaminski was doing with his filters in the last movie. Give me something that looks sharp and filmic...you know, like the original films.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #471
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Indy doesn't have time to fight the swordsman, so he just shoots him. Indy is outnumbered at the end of Temple, so he cuts the bridge.
You don't think surviving that move required physicality?
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #472
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Of course, but the point is Indy tends to be put in situations where a direct or fair fight has to be avoided. And I think with good writing you can definitely come up with scenarios for an older Indy that are a lot of fun.

Sure, you can't be having an Indy who is in his 70s jumping from a horse to a moving tank, but that kind of thing was never really the essence of the older movies. I don't think Indy will ever be too old to solve booby traps or outwit opponents. They just need to write a movie that emphasizes that stuff, while leveraging the physicality that Ford can still pull off so it doesn't feel like they're eschewing action altogether. I think with the right creative attitude, a lot of handicaps can become opportunities.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #473
Nosirrah
IndyFan

I've looked at those "Making of..." clips on YouTube, and I notice that both Lucas and Spielberg say that they wanted the films to reflect the cinematic genre that was popular when the action is set. So Raiders emulates those Republic serial cliffhangers, Temple of Doom owes a lot to Gunga Din, and Crystal Skull harks back to the sci-fi B-movies of the '60s.
If that's so, the question is, what would be the '70s genre that they'd take their cue from for IJ5? The mind reels.

Last edited by Nosirrah : 02-05-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Nosirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #474
Lambonius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosirrah
what would be the '70s genre that they'd take their cue from for IJ5? The mind reels.

Grindhouse? Blacksploitation? How can we lose?

In all seriousness though, maybe being a fan of the Indy adventure games helps, but I'd be totally fine with professor Indy thinking his way through the adventure with minimal action scenes, or taking on a mentor role to a younger sidekick (just please not another one-note walking parody like Mutt.)
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #475
Nosirrah
IndyFan

I can't find the source for this, but I recollect hearing that when somebody once asked the legendary Jack Warner for the secret to making hit movies, he replied, "the first thing you have to realize is that nobody around here knows anything."

If anybody can confirm, deny, or clean that up, I'd appreciate it.
Nosirrah is offline   Reply With Quote