Max McCoy Indy books

Pale Horse

Staff member
Gilles V said:
Hohlbein's Indy novels are also available in Dutch.
That's how I got to read them. :p

But then again, they say that Dutch is even more difficult to learn than German.

Gilles, is your native tongue Dutch?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
It is probably Dutch. Belgium has two official languages, Dutch and French.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I noted the locations and methods of transportation in the McCoy books as I read them, because Indy seems to never stop moving. Spoilers, needless to say.

March 1933
Maya Mountains, British Honduras. Hike to San Pablo, Guatemala. Plane to Princeton, New Jersey. Train to New York City. Blimp, fighter plane to London, England. Garbage boat to the English Channel. Seaplane to Rome, Italy. Longboat to Northeast coast of Libya. Horse to Egyptian border and oasis Tomb of Hermes. Truck to Cairo Egypt. Plane to Rome, Italy. Plane to London, England. (Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone - B)

October - December 1933
Marseilles, France. Plane to Princeton, New Jersey. Car to New York City. Plane to Shanghai, China. Train to Kalgan/ Xanadu/ Changchiakou, China. Truck to Great Wall; Tuerin; Urga/ Ulan Bator; Tzen Khan's village; Flaming Cliffs. Hike to Lamastery; Happy Valley. Hike, Horse-drawn truck to Tzen Khan's village; Kalgan. Train to Shanghai, China. Plane to France. Salvage ship to sunken sub off Coast of Denmark. (Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs - B)

February 1934
Princeton, New Jersey. Train to Oswego in S.E. Kansas. Train, bus to Pine Springs in the Guadalupe Mountains on the Texas/ New Mexico Border. Truck to El Paso, Texas. Plane to New Orleans, Louisiana. Plane to Long Island, New York; Reykjavik, Iceland; Ny Alesund, Spirzbergen Island. Plane to iceberg. Sled to boat. Boat through Edda Shaft to volcano. Boat, hike to Ultima Thule/ Agartha, 100 miles below the surface of the Earth. (?) to Ny Alesund, Spirzbergen Island. (Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth - B)

September 1934
Lintong village, China. Hike to Mount Hua, Shaanxi Province, China. Car to Luchow, China. Freighter, lifeboat, junk to Lazarus Island off China. Plane to Calcutta, India. Train to Indus River, Pakistan. Plane to Tigris River, Iraq. Motorcycle to Lalesh, Iraq. Motorcycle to Cairo, Egypt. Car to Giza, Egypt. Car to Cairo, Egypt. Plane to Princeton, New Jersey. Plane to British Honduras. Plane to Princeton, New Jersey. (Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx - B)

IndyBuff

I'm glad to see another thread about the books here. I was beginning to think I was the only one who liked them.:)

I love all 12 books but the Max McCoy books are my favorites. He just did such a great job of capturing the characters and the feel of the films, not to mention that he came up with some great stories that would have made for another great Indy film (the Philospher's Stone, a lost dinosaur egg, a secret race living inside a volcano in the Arctic, the Staff of Aaron and the Sphinx).

Rob MacGregor was great too and he gave us a good look at Indy's personal life and how he came into his chosen profession. Caidin's books are my two least-favorites but they're still enjoyable and they have some great parts.

All 12 are great but McCoy is definately my favorite.:whip:

Johan

I remember a year or so back a thread where someone mentioned that they are working on a pdf english version of the books...I guess they gave up

HovitosKing

The books are always listed on Amazon.com and are really cheap...I would recommend just buying them online rather than trying to download pdf's and print them...but of all the authors I think McCoy's were definitely the best.

Viper

Well, I have all of Martin Caidens and Max McCoy's books, and I'm reading McCoy's, but I noticed a couple errors.

1. McCoy mentions Indy having a .38 Webley (meaning the Mk.4, the only .38 model), but, Indy is traditionally seen with a Webley Mk.6 (.445)
2. I'm not sure if Indy was hiding this, or if McCoy made an error, but in The Secret of the Sphinx, Indy says he was never married, but he was married to Deirdre in one of the books Rob Macgregor wrote, until she died in the very next one.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Viper said:
1. McCoy mentions Indy having a .38 Webley (meaning the Mk.4, the only .38 model), but, Indy is traditionally seen with a Webley Mk.6 (.445)

It's .455, and he only carried a Webley in LC. He had a Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Hand Ejector 2/Model 1917 with a 4" barrel in RotLA, which IMO is the ultimate Indy weapon.

Viper

VP said:
It's .455, and he only carried a Webley in LC. He had a Smith & Wesson .45 ACP Hand Ejector 2/Model 1917 with a 4" barrel in RotLA, which IMO is the ultimate Indy weapon.
Sorry for the typo, but also in the books I remember him having a .455 in the ones I've read. Also, IMO the S&W isn't as unique as the Webley. Anyway, my point is that he never, with the exception of Max McCoy's books, has the Mk.IV. He can do whatever he wants with that, I guess. Oh well, nevermind.

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Secret of the Sphinx was the last Indy book or comic published, in 1999. It's the shortest of McCoy's novels but took 2 years to appear. (You may remember the seemingly unbearable drought.) McCoy says "Things became more restrictrive as the books progressed, however, and I have to shoulder my share of the blame. I blew deadlines. I had personal problems." The restrictions might have been because "I had written a time-travel sequence for the last book, but only portions of it survived. Nobody was thrilled with it." Recall several characters observe Indy aging rapidly, but there's no explanation.

Anyway, I have a theory. I don't know how far along the Indy 4 script was seven years ago, but I suspect the Eden plot was at least a serious contender. This places several artifacts off limits: tree of life and its fruit, remains of Adam, flaming sword, book of life, etc. McCoy used the last, and called it the Omega Book. Maybe he changed the tree of life to the staff of Aaron, which produced almonds and not fruit, I dunno. But McCoy is the most likely suspect to have possibly trespassed into Lucas's personal story development, and inadvertently collapsed the expanding Indyverse.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Viper said:
2. I'm not sure if Indy was hiding this, or if McCoy made an error, but in The Secret of the Sphinx, Indy says he was never married, but he was married to Deirdre in one of the books Rob Macgregor wrote, until she died in the very next one.

Indy just didn't want to talk about it. Remember he never says it in the movies, even when GL could have added it into the digitally remastered DVDs. Remember: Cairo marketplace:

MARION: Why haven't you found a nice girl to settle down with and have nine kids like your friend, Sallah?

INDY: Who says I haven't?

This means that either Indy after a point never wanted to talk about it with anyone ever again and kept it to himself or he knew Marion and had the affair with her before Deirdre however the timeline would be screwed because Indy and Marion had the affair in 1926 and Indy was married to Deirdre in 1925 so you would think that Marion would know and felt sympathy and fell in love with Indy.

Viper

Teacher knows Max McCoy

When I read The Secret of the Sphinx I noticed that Max McCoy lives only about an hour and a half from me (I live in Shawnee, KS he lives in Pittsburg, KS). Today for reading class we got to read our favorite part from a book, and I chose TSOTS, and when I announced the author, my teacher (who's husband has a Boba Fett outfit for conventions, and they even had a Star Wars wedding) said she knew him, and that her husband is a friend of his, and often play(ed or s) cards with him. Pretty cool, huh?

HovitosKing

That's awesome. I got Max to sign a copy of TSOTS about 6 years ago, he was really cool about it and happy to do it. See if you can meet him, or at least get your book signed!

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
He's very easy going and loves to sign autographs. Just ask him. He signed all of mine some time back.