John Hurt's role?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Though the wrap video shows Hurt with a beard, I figured it might have been pre-production facial hair. The tan lego has aged facial features, cheekbones. I could be totally wrong about the actor, but I think the homage is true as I'm sure it was with Hilaire Belloc.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Mmmhhhh...after all he said, my guess is that Hurt's involvement will later be labeled as a waste of talent or something. His role seems to be really tiny.

commontone said:
Geeze, it's starting to sound like the whole concept of the Indiana Jones films just doesn't really interest Hurt. Thankfully, he's the only one of the main actors who seems to feel that way.

He's basically like "Eh, it was fun I guess, but probably won't be one of my favorites." I wonder how many other actors would like to punch Hurt in the face after reading that? :p

While trying to keep in mind what kind of a bloke Hurt is and enjoying that he seems to speak his mind just as he wants to (I like that) I can't help but hear the words "what the ****?!" in my brain everytime I read a new comment by Hurt on IndyIV. Because...who gives a **** wether he likes to watch this film or not*?! Why does he even mention it?

Miss_Jones

In the thread about the new picture that showed up today, there's discussion that a barely seen figure behind Indy is the John Hurt character. I agree, because you can also see what appears to be Marion behind Shia and, like it's mentioned in the picture thread, John Hurt refers to the heroes as the "famous five" so it makes sense for the group to be Indy, Mac, Marion, Mutt and the John Hurt character.

What I find interesting is that this barely seen figure, you can only see his legs but he is wearing bedraggled clothes, which also ties in with the sparse information we have about the character. Maybe he has been living in the jungle, guarding the temple?

My theory is that maybe he's an old colleague of Indy who misteriously disappeared many years ago and everybody assumed he was dead (relic hunting, after all, is dangerous business: remember Ravenwood and Forrestall), but in fact he found exactly what he was looking for and for some reason stayed in the jungle to guard it? Of course that makes him a bit similar to the Crusade in LC...

This would mean that he can't be Ravenwood, because Ravenwood died/disappeared in Nepal. Even if he'd been kidnapped/imprisoned by the Russians, you'd assume they'd at least given him some new clothes from time to time.

seasider

torao said:
Mmmhhhh...after all he said, my guess is that Hurt's involvement will later be labeled as a waste of talent or something. His role seems to be really tiny.

While trying to keep in mind what kind of a bloke Hurt is and enjoying that he seems to speak his mind just as he wants to (I like that) I can't help but hear the words "what the ****?!" in my brain everytime I read a new comment by Hurt on IndyIV. Because...who gives a **** wether he likes to watch this film or not*?! Why does he even mention it?

One thing to remember about that quote is that it was translated from a Spanish source which was in turn translated from an English one. So what he said probably came out sounding more pesimistic than he really is. I think this quote from an earlier interview better explains his take on Indy 4:

"I want to be careful here, because I don't want to make it sound as if I'm anti- the film ? I'm not at all. But if I was asked what I would choose to do, it would be lightweight for me, at least for that sort of time commitment. But having accepted it, I enjoyed working with Steven hugely, and we had a great cast. I just wish we'd had something of fabulous interest between each other to act!"

My guess is that Hurt says these things to basically cover his own rear end with his fanbase and try to reassure them that he's not "selling out" by being in this movie. On the other hand, this is the same guy who has appeared in movies like King Ralph.

peterlally

One of my sources from when I was working on the Indy Experience sent me this
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I think he's full of it what do you guys reckon. It could easily be from another film.

peterlally

My initial thought is that its a fraud but the coat colours add up. And the description we have already had.

I am 90% sure its from The Proposition though.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
seasider said:
One thing to remember about that quote is that it was translated from a Spanish source which was in turn translated from an English one. So what he said probably came out sounding more pesimistic than he really is. I think this quote from an earlier interview better explains his take on Indy 4:

(...)

My guess is that Hurt says these things to basically cover his own rear end with his fanbase and try to reassure them that he's not "selling out" by being in this movie. On the other hand, this is the same guy who has appeared in movies like King Ralph.

Somehow I doubt that Hurt is the kinda guy who actually thinks about his "fanbase"...
I agree about the problem of translation, though!

Kingsley

I still like the Abner idea. Is it still a possible rumour? I wasn't here for some weeks... Things change quickly sometimes.

By the way, nice avatar Torao;)

tocksic

Kingsley said:
I still like the Abner idea. Is it still a possible rumour? I wasn't here for some weeks... Things change quickly sometimes.

Well, there was nothing that starched the rumor, but there was also nothing that killed the rumor.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Kingsley said:

Yeah *lol*
I hadn't noticed we had the same avatar because I didn't see you around. Now...well...I've decided to give you back your visual uniqueness!

Finn

Staff member
torao said:
Yeah *lol*
I hadn't noticed we had the same avatar because I didn't see you around. Now...well...I've decided to give you back your visual uniqueness!
It's not like they're meant to be exclusives...

I must say I preferred you as Sophia.

Kingsley

Poor Sophia, she was devaluated... it took me 500 posts to get to her, now she costs only 100. :p
Finn, you're right. Sophia fits better with Torao. Under mine there is still the Bantu Wind Crewman hiding... :eek:

The new avatars are great, I wanted some Indy4 avatars... but will wait for the bunch that comes after may.
To stay on topic... I am waiting for John Hurts avatar ;)

Finn

Staff member
Kingsley said:
Poor Sophia, she was devaluated... it took me 500 posts to get to her, now she costs only 100. :p
I hear you. Back in the day, Fedora was worth 2000 posts, now only 500.

Oh well, since I was in approving the new avy setup (the idea was really to widen the 100 pool so that there'd be enough diversity even in the lowest level) guess I can't blame no one but myself.

But now, back on topic. There's a thread in the Announcements section if somebody wishes to push it further.