Time-travel possibilities for Dr. Jones...

kongisking

Let's speculate about possible adventures concerning time-travel as the plot device! Imagine Indy in Ancient feudal Japan! Or in Ancient Egypt! Or in Colonial Times! There are SO many awesome things!

frayed

The plot neednt involve actual traveling in time. But the McGuffin might hold that power, secret, key etc...

The first Tomb Raider movie used this plot device. Which might be a reason to avoid it. But, hey. It's not about being original. It's about doing it well.

I can see a good old fashioned race to beat the bad guys to the treasure. Wherever it is, I hope it's somewhere cold. They havent really explored snow yet. Or underwater for that matter. If Indy is like bond, then location is important.

The end confrontation could involve a time travel twist which could be very cool. Maybe the antagonist could end up being eaten by a T-Rex (the one from that other Spielberg movie). Now that would get people mad.:gun:

The Man

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2008/06/indy-winner.html

A skeptical Jones is offered the chance to visit Palestine in the time of Christ in a joint U.S. Army/Vatican time-travel experiment—overseen by Albert Einstein, who is also part of Indy’s posse—to verify the existence of Jesus Christ. Meanwhile, Soviet agents bent on erasing Christ from history hijack the experimental base underneath the Vatican, and pursue Indy through the tunnels of Time, as Jones tries to save a man who neither needs nor wants saving.

Drugs, eh?

No Ticket

Indie House said:
I personally believe a time travel plot would take 'jumping the shark' to a whole new level.

Maybe he could go back in time in the next movie to 1936 and just watch Raiders of the Lost Ark from his perspective. At least we know we'd be getting a good film.

The Man

Indie House said:
I personally believe a time travel plot would take 'jumping the shark' to a whole new level.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MpraJYnbVtE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MpraJYnbVtE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

emtiem

frayed said:
The plot neednt involve actual traveling in time. But the McGuffin might hold that power, secret, key etc...

The first Tomb Raider movie used this plot device. Which might be a reason to avoid it. But, hey. It's not about being original. It's about doing it well.

I can see a good old fashioned race to beat the bad guys to the treasure. Wherever it is, I hope it's somewhere cold. They havent really explored snow yet. Or underwater for that matter. If Indy is like bond, then location is important.

The end confrontation could involve a time travel twist which could be very cool. Maybe the antagonist could end up being eaten by a T-Rex (the one from that other Spielberg movie). Now that would get people mad.:gun:

Yeah; I'm not hugely averse to that- might not be my preferred way of doing it but it fits with the pulp-y feel of Indy. I could see how he might be tempted by the idea of becoming part of history.

inky_skin

Time-travelling Dr Indiana Jones ? Already done ! Those of you who remember Deadline in the 90's (Hewlett and Martin UK comic book) might recall that a trench-coated Indiana Jones (his character is named) from the past/future appears in the Tank Girl script after a 'time-jump' and is killed after roughly three frames :)

And before you ask - I don't have it ;)

kongisking

The Man said:

I actually think that sounds quite cool and unique! Indy meeting Jesus...who turns out to be a delusional drunken bum! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No seriously, that's actually a really cool idea for an Indy adventure. Maybe they could even work in Indy dying and going to Heaven, meets his dad, and is then given the choice to remain in paradise or return home to beat the bad guys...and guess what he chooses? Yes, yes, you're all thinking "DEATHLY HALLOWS RIP-OFF", but I think it could provide for some original and clever images. I really like this dude's plot. I like it a lot.

Sigh...I am so dead meat...

Stoo

inky_skin said:
Time-travelling Dr Indiana Jones ? Already done ! Those of you who remember Deadline in the 90's (Hewlett and Martin UK comic book) might recall that a trench-coated Indiana Jones (his character is named) from the past/future appears in the Tank Girl script after a 'time-jump' and is killed after roughly three frames :)

And before you ask - I don't have it ;)
Would you happen to know what issue # it is?

kongisking said:
I actually think that sounds quite cool and unique! Indy meeting Jesus...who turns out to be a delusional drunken bum! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I recently rented a German movie (dubbed English) about a similar story. Archaeologists uncover a 2000 year-old tomb
and find a the manual of a SONY video camera and clues to video footage of Jesus, himself. The plot centres on the
cat & mouse chase for the videotape but it's a pretty decent time-travel/adventure flick, (if you like that kind of thing).
It had a very, generic title so I don't remember what it was. Anyone know?:confused:

|ZiR|

I think it could work if, like, it was a government/Philadelphia Experiment style thing and Jones was invited (AKA "forced") to go back in time and retrieve or validate something. Something really big that if proven would change A LOT. Then of course when he goes back he discovers the truth about the person he was sent back to find but in a TWIST it's not what they wanted him to find so they send people back to kill him rather than let him live to tell the world.

Chase through various eras ensues. Showdown would take place way in the past (think primordial swamp) or far into the future.

The Man

|ZiR| said:
I think it could work if, like, it was a government/Philadelphia Experiment style thing and Jones was invited (AKA "forced") to go back in time and retrieve or validate something. Something really big that if proven would change A LOT. Then of course when he goes back he discovers the truth about the person he was sent back to find but in a TWIST it's not what they wanted him to find so they send people back to kill him rather than let him live to tell the world.

Chase through various eras ensues. Showdown would take place way in the past (think primordial swamp) or far into the future.

He could return to the late-thirties and buy his younger self some condoms...