Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z dweller

I know Lucas' negotiating power is much reduced now, but Spielberg wouldn't ask him to come along for the ride without allowing him to have some real input.
And I do hope George doesn't prevail in imposing KOTCS-like decade appropriate thematic references, or we are in for another bumpy ride. (n)

Personally, the further away we get from where Indy started off on the big screen, i.e. the 1930s, the least interested I will be.
I realize Ford's age makes this inevitable (which is why I was rooting for a recast), but there are ways to minimize the impact on Indy's next adventure if they choose to do so.

As others here have suggested, even if Indy 5 is set in the 60s, they can place most of the action in a remote place like the Gobi desert or Greenland, and bypass the need to address the decade almost entirely.

Whatever you do, no hippies/Beatles/spy story references please.
Or else just have Indy meet James Bond and be done with it. :sick:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Or else just have Indy meet James Bond and be done with it. :sick:

Been there, done that.

indy-father.gif

IndyForever

Lucas being involved is great news he is after all the original co-creator. Without George there would be no Indy & Spielberg would never ever have had the same career he enjoyed after Raiders (Hollywood were blackballing him after 1941 lost a lot of money!) so it was fairly obvious Lucas was going to play a big role here.

Most likely creative story consultant & some of his previous research & ideas being re-used. I do not think Lucas wanted to do another but I hope he gives it his best shot as Spielberg needs someone to keep him in check on these movies & vice versa!

Lambonius

The problem with Lucas is that he has an utterly terrible sense of humor that has only gotten worse as he's gotten older. I have no qualms with him being on the project as a consultant and idea man, but for the love of God, don't let him get his fingers into any of the gag writing for the film. Say no to monkey-vines, once and for all!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The press does a typically pitiful job with the latest Spielberg presser, portioning out quotes while the few dedicated fans provide transcripts and audio.
?I?ve never made a movie for my ego. The only time I?ve really used my ego is when I?m going to direct another Indiana Jones film. And then the ego says ?It better be as good, if not better, than the one the audiences initially saw in such great numbers that justified another one.? And that?s the only time that I wonder, ?I already did it once before. Why am I doing this again?? Probably the answer is, So nobody else does. So it doesn?t fall into anybody else?s hands.?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.nydailynews.com/1.2683824

Spielberg: "As Harrison matures so does his character and yet he did so many of his own stunts in The Force Awakens. He keeps himself in such brilliant physical shape that I don’t believe when 2018 comes around, which is when I’m slated to direct the fifth installment coming out in 2019, I think Harrison is going to be able do a lot of what the script is asking him to do. We’re not concerned about that at all."

Pale Horse

Staff member
I just read the article:

On Monday, Spielberg also shot down reports that Indiana Jones co-creator George Lucas was not returning.

Of course — I would never make an ‘Indiana Jones’ film without George Lucas,” he told reporters during a press roundtable. “That would be insane.”

So, George is involved on this one. Swwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt.

Raiders90

Pale Horse said:
I just read the article:

So, George is involved on this one. Swwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt.

He was involved in the real three films as well. I know visceral hatred for both George Lucas and Harrison Ford, as well as hopes for Ford's demise, and an unwavering mancrush for Chris Pratt are all deeply entrenched in forum policy. But let's not forget history shall we?

Lambonius

Raiders112390 said:
He was involved in the real three films as well. I know visceral hatred for both George Lucas and Harrison Ford, as well as hopes for Ford's demise, and an unwavering mancrush for Chris Pratt are all deeply entrenched in forum policy. But let's not forget history shall we?

This guy again.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:

Precisely my curiosity. He was involved in SIX Star Wars films, but not since Disney took over. I assumed aside from some uncredited consultation he was out.

Raiders90

Lambonius said:
This guy again.

Prove me wrong. This site has, especially in recent months, become a Harrison Ford hate site, has it not? Most of the blame for KOTCS' failures have (I guess due to ageism) been shifted to Harrison. He is viewed as the weak link of the series, and indeed on this forum, there is a retrospective hatred of him; Indiana Jones is not liked because of the actor, rather in spite of him; The mods and admins dance and sidestep around this fact. I don't like people who play verbal games in this way. I'd rather they just come out and say: "We view Harrison Ford as a milestone around Indiana Jones, and we want Chris Pratt to replace him. Ideally, Harry would kick the bucket to make this so." Honesty is much, much, much braver than the very feminine and passive aggressive tap dance some seem to have chosen to play. The doublethink in having a site that is both a Ford hate site and an Indy fan site must be dizzying.

Henry Jones VII

I have to disagree, on the contrary i think this website is respectful to Ford and grateful of his work as indy.

Just my opinion of course.

Finn

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
Prove me wrong. This site has, especially in recent months, become a Harrison Ford hate site, has it not? Most of the blame for KOTCS' failures have (I guess due to ageism) been shifted to Harrison. He is viewed as the weak link of the series, and indeed on this forum, there is a retrospective hatred of him; Indiana Jones is not liked because of the actor, rather in spite of him; The mods and admins dance and sidestep around this fact.
I know I'm not always the most polite of mods, and this time I'm not even going to bother to try.

You're delusional. Go get some help.

IAdventurer01

Henry Jones VII said:
I have to disagree, on the contrary i think this website is respectful to Ford and grateful of his work as indy.

Not only that, I think only fairly recently has there been a shift to accept the idea of someone other than Ford in the role. Even that's more an event to psyche ourselves up for the now inevitable future of a franchise we love without the actor who brought the leading role to life, which seem(s/ed) unfathomable to many here for quite some time.

Finn

Staff member
IAdventurer01 said:
Not only that, I think only fairly recently has there been a shift to accept the idea of someone other than Ford in the role.
And even that stems from a very simple fact: Harrison Ford is growing - no, he IS old.

We all age, and at some point things must come to an end. 5-10 years ago no one would have suggested that Ford should hang up the role. Of course, it's not impossible that he could deliver one more strong performance, but it still takes some navel-gazing to an astronomic degree to not understand why some people might have doubts about that.

The man will be 74 in a couple of weeks, and 76 by the time this movie is being canned. That's all. Stating that fact is not hate, and there's no sentiment that tries to blame Ford for KotCS' shortcomings. Those are delusions, plain and simple.

If you wish to see more Indiana Jones films after (or perhaps even starting from, we don't know yet) the fifth movie, you have to accept someone else in the role. Only reason not to accept it is if you don't wish to see more Indiana Jones films after Indy 5. But who are seriously calling themselves fans of the character and do not wish that?

Status
Not open for further replies.