Christmas Trees Vanish, Reappear in Airport

roundshort

I don't know if you stupid little stories make international news (GOD, I hope not); but, as we have nothing better to do here in the US . . .

It seems that Seattle's Airport has had a bunch of Chritmas Tress for the last 10 years or so to celebrate the holidays, this year a rabbi was all bit**y as there was no menorah displayed as well . . .

long story short, the airport folks said f*** it and just removed the tress, saying at this, the busiest time of the year, they did not want to play cultural anthropolgists. Now the Rabbi has coem back and said he would brign a law suit, as he doesn't want there to be any resentment for the Jews making them remove the trees . . .

All I can say . . .

RELAX

I spend so much time in airports,I don't even notice the differences anymore, othre than San Francisco has the BEST food!

DaFedora

Shame... what about all the other Christmas-celebrating minorities who hold on to other relics (Copts...) and so on...

I would have apologized, but also referred to other airports... I'm not a US citizen, but I don't see why a couple thousand airports should quickly accomodate and list all possible alternative christmas-related religious symbols of seasonal festivity.

If the state would harbor a vast proportion of the Jewish community, I would maybe take it into consideration as airport management... but still it's such a long shot.

But the most hilarious airport joke I heard this month was about the lady trying to cover up the gassy excretions inside her guts by lighting matches on a plane... People noticed the burning scent of matches gone out (instead of her farts), informed the captain who made an emergency landed. The lady was brought in for questioning, fined, awaiting trial and has been banned by the airline company (AA) from ever travelling aboard their planes. :gun:
Morale: ask for a relaxant on a plane or go to the back to take a big dump.

monkey

Carbon impregnated cushions

Actually, what that poor misguided (flatulent) woman did not realize is that (and this is true.....and not just an 'urban legend') airline cushions...are not merely a potential floatation device, but are actually impregnated with carbon compounds which really do ............um...............well...........ABSORB........um....odors.

This is by design.

So she didn't even have to light those matches.......... I mean she could have just ripped away with total abandon, with no worries.

But I'm just glad that they didn't wrestle her to the ground, slap handcuffs on her, and whisk her away to Guantanamo, or some Eastern European Gulag.......never to be heard from again.

I mean, these days, if you even fart wrong on an airplane, you need to worry.

But on the subject of Christmas trees. I find it interesting that the perception is that Christmas trees are a 'symbol of Christianity'.

They are anything but.

In fact, the decoration of trees is an ancient Heathen, Pagan, Germanic tradition. In times gone by the Heathen, Nordic, European peoples would decorate evergreen trees during the Holy Yuletide (winter) celebrations. In fact, the trees were always decorated outside. The reason that the trees were brought inside and decorated in the home was in order to hide this traditional, cultural celebration from the Christian Church,.....which of course,...forbid it.

Most of our Christmas traditions,..........trees, wreaths, gift giving... are actually Heathen/Pagan in origin.

But along with all that, it is also nice to celebrate the birth of Jesus, who had a most profound impact on our world, and our culture.

Happy Holidays..........and Merry Christmas to all the folks here on the Raven,

Monkey

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Good to see ya and merry Christmas monkey, fellow five-year Ravener! What do we call ourselves, semi-denarians?

The history of holidays weaves both ways:
"The pagan festival of the 'Birth of the Unconquered Sun' instituted by the Roman Emperor Aurelian on 25 December 274, was almost certainly an attempt to create a pagan alternative to a date that was already of some significance to Roman Christians."

I'm all for defining neo-paganism, and wishing them a merry solstice. In ths crazy world, recognizing their religion sometimes seems the only way to recognizing others.

monkey

Hey, thanks Moedred, Merry Christmas to you too.

What do we call ourselves for posting 5 years on the Raven???

Hmmmmm.......not sure........semi-denarian??? That sounds kind of like the name of some kind of dinasaur..............Hmmmmmm....yeah, well, maybe that's appropriate.

Neo-pagan??? isn't that an oxymoron?

But anyway, good to see you too. Good to be back in the world....and back on the Raven.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This kinda reminds me of the SNL skit where host Tom Hanks joins the five timers club, and is led to a plush back room where Steve Martin and Paul Simon sip brandy in red smoking jackets.
Finn said:
Just out of curiosity, what do you call for six years...?
I'm not up on my latin roots, but I think it would involve sex and annus.
(Or maybe that's the initiation.)

Finn

Staff member
Moedred said:
Soo... that's why my backside's been hurting since October.

monkey

Moedred said:

Can I quote you here Moedred?????

What are you really trying to say??

"Latin roots............sex..............and anus......"

Didn't this start out as a discussion of Christmas trees????

But that's the beauty of discussion isn't it???

Like Forrest Gump said "You never know what you're gonna get".

Finn

Staff member
Actually, there is a vague link. You see, in Finnish, "Christmas Tree" translates as "Joulukuusi", and despite being written together, they're actually two different words "Joulu" (Christmas) and "kuusi" (tree). However "kuusi" is a homonymous word in Finnish and it stands also for number six. Which is rather actually "sextus" in Latin (so there was a translating error)... but it is "sex" in Swedish.

Simple, eh?

westford

A row over a willy-shaped Christmas tree has upset residents near a town called *****tone.

Gardener Alan Parkin, 47, carefully pruned the 3m (10ft) conifer in his front garden to look like a phallus. And he added to the effect with a string of flashing festive lights.

But some neighbours in the South Yorkshire hamlet of Crow Edge felt it was obscene and called the police, who forced Mr Parkin to take down the lights. One neighbour said: 'There are a lot of children about here and I don't think it is very good for them to see.'

If you'd like to see a picture, there's one here.

Edit: the swear filter doesn't like the word p e n i s, but that is the name of the town.