Administrator

Merged. Also: Minecart Chase!

Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #52
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Activision's Pitfall! for iOS

Review over on TouchArcade: Pitfall!

The original 1982 Pitfall! for the Atari 2600 apparently wasn't influenced by Raiders of the Lost Ark - but obviously draws from the same inspiration. A jungle explorers encountering all sorts of creepy crawlies and obstacles, coded up by David Crane at Activision.

At first glance, the new game seems like a knock-off of the current darling endless runner, Temple Run which is unabashedly inspired by the opening scene in Raiders. There are even screaming monkey sounds as you start running and coins to pick up. Fortunately, initial similarities fade quickly and you realize that while it's the same genre - and definitely inspired by Temple Run - it's a whole different game.

The game opens with a loading animation that's an homage to the orginal Pitfall!. Cute, but you can't skip it and it's terribly slow. They need to work on that aspect of the game. But this should be the first hint that this is a different beast that Temple Run. Unlike that game, the new Pitfall! expects you to play for extended periods of time, not just a few idle minutes. Once the loading animation has completed the actual game look is revealed as a 3D "cel shaded" environment. Once you set off running, other differences appear as the camera swings to the side for Mirror's Edge-style gameplay, then back to a follow-cam more like Temple Run.

The usual gestures are used - swipe up to jump, down to slide, tip the device to move to the edges of the path to pick up coins, swipe to the siides to turn when the path forks. Obstacles are the predictable trees and rocks, some of which must be jumped and others ducked under. The production values of the game are stellar - unlike Temple Run which quickly grows monotonous (and trance-inducing) with the same set of traps, Pitfall! mixes it up with fallen idols, spike pits, low bridges, and so forth.

Then it gets interesting. Your endless run occasionally takes you through a village where you can choose to run through the bamboo walkways instead of on the ground. Some pits have vines to swing over. The environment is animated, with lava bombs from an erupting volcano dropping into the path, trees falling in your way, and so forth. But that's not all...

Snakes!

Yes, there are creepy crawlies that get in your way. When you're outside, there are occasionally snakes on the path. Run over them and you'll be poisoned. Twice and you're dead. Fortunately, you're carrying a bullwhip (!) and can flick it out to take care of the slithery beasts. So although the original may not have been inspired by Indy, Pitfall Harry has learned a thing or two from the master.

I mentioned outside. After a few thousand meters your run takes you into an underground cavern where the obstacles change up - collapsing ceilings, scorpions, lava pits and so on. Make it far enough and you jump onto a mine car! (Hint: swipe sideways to take the forks and remember to duck!)

Once you make it through the mine sequence you'll be back outside. Cross some rickety bridges, and you'll find yourself on a motorcycle racing down a muddy unpaved road, trying to get around obstacles as your race continues.

That's as far as I've gotten so far, which is a good time to explain three other big departures from Temple Run. The first, as hinted above, is that while the exact path is randomly generated like Temple Run, there is a definite progression through things like the underground sequence, mine car, and motorcycle, that occur at certain distances from the start. Secondly, and thankfully, it is possible to restart from checkpoints rather than having to start from the beginning at each time.

Thirdly, however, restarts require using "Macaw Tokens" which must be purchased. And unlike Temple Run, where the power ups are a subtle addition to the game, in Pitfall! the achievements and store are much more blatant and frankly distracting.

I give it 4/5 stars so far.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #53
IndyJames98
IndyFan

temple run app........ montana smith is a total indy rip off.
IndyJames98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #54
Moedred
Administrator

Found this in a 1985 Broderbund catalog with a bunch of yard sale games still in boxes. The 2 games, from 1982 and 1983, borrow heavily from reels 1 and 2 of Raiders.

You can watch 10 minutes of Mask of the Sun here. It ends with faux-Belloq getting his:

Edit: and of course there's a boulder.

Last edited by Moedred : 10-08-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #55
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

So, like, it looks like The Adventurer isn't destined to be vaporware at all! It's gone through a title change, but there's an official release date and everything.

On the 30th of July, get ready to keep up with James Lee Quatemaine in Deadfall Adventures!

Dual-wielding? No thank you.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #56
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
So, like, it looks like The Adventurer isn't destined to be vaporware at all! It's gone through a title change, but there's an official release date and everything.

On the 30th of July, get ready to keep up with James Lee Quatemaine in Deadfall Adventures!

Looks like Xbox wants their own Uncharted to me.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #57
JerryKing
IndyFan

Indy

Not a ripoff, especially since it uses many, many sources, from old legends to Conan Doyle - but without Junior, there might be no "Tusker". And that would have been a shame, even if the final game was visibly rushed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS5TTNifPyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Z72LmVO0w
JerryKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #58
JerryKing
IndyFan

Hovitos Warrior

"Le Fetiche Maya", on the other hand, would definitely not have existed without Junior. Most of what I remember from it was its rather insane difficulty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQc-ej4WNm4
JerryKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #59
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKing
"Le Fetiche Maya", on the other hand, would definitely not have existed without Junior. Most of what I remember from it was its rather insane difficulty.
Ha! Translated, the title would be, "The Mayan Fetish".

Here's one I found while googling for something else: "Tombs & Treasure" from 1987.

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #60
Citizen_Kane
IndyFan

What about Paganitzu? It's a 1991 DOS game I used to play it a lot as a kid. Other forum members remember it? "Paganitzu is a puzzle game with action elements. Help the hero go through rooms of puzzles and traps to find treasure and a way out" (Mobygames)

Paganitzu consists of three separate episodes: Romancing The Rose, Quest for the Silver Dagger, and Jewel of Yucatan. Also, according to a contributor on Mobygames, Paganitzu is Aztec for Temple of the Gods. If these titles aren't Indiana Jones themed or convincingly similar enough, you should check out the main character's name: Alabama Smith, wearing a fedora. The whole game is definitely a pun; the main villain's name is Omigosh. No kidding. O, I almost forgot, the levels are full of snakes and boulders.

Citizen_Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #61
Lyain
IndyFan

I think La-Mulana counts!

It's actually very well-made, with lots of puzzles. : V Hard, though -- definitely a homage to classic NES games like Castlevania and Mega Man and Zelda than to actual Indy games. But it's got the style, the main character's a professor with a fedora and whip, so what more could you want from an indie non-Indy Indy game?
Lyain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #62
EvilDevo
IndyFan

Indy

Spelunky, anyone?
EvilDevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #63
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Step aside, Dr. Jones. Marlow Briggs is going to get crackin' -- crackin' ribs, tibs, and skulls! In: Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death!

It's, like, the love child of Indiana Jones, God of War, and the video game adaptation of Dante's Inferno!

Old 09-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #64
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Just when I thought Deadfall Adventures has slipped its release date, a new trailer surfaces. Crashing a plane headfirst into a temple? Yes, that's certainly one way to make an entrance.

Eschewing his grandfather's English upbringing, James Lee appears to have outfitted himself at the nearest Wild West emporium. An American accent, a U.S. undercover agent, and a boatload of Nazis and Russians round out the day!

What a grand dust up it'll be!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #65
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Eschewing his grandfather's English upbringing, James Lee appears to have outfitted himself at the nearest Wild West emporium. An American accent,...
Looks & sounds very much like Patrick Swayze's version of Allan Quatermain.

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #66
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Looks & sounds very much like Patrick Swayze's version of Allan Quatermain.

You're absolutely right. I had been wondering why the character design looked familiar.

Now, the more important question: Why can't I remember watching the Swayze version? I've rated it on Netflix, but don't remember a single moment of it. Could I have rated it without watching?! The only Quatermain flick I recall seeing recently is that god awful Temple of Skulls.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #67
russds
IndyFan

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but has anyone played Temple Run or Temple Run 2? There's a lot of Indy over tones, and Temple Run 2 even has a character named "Montana Smith":

And a Mine Cart Chase level:

russds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #68
Gabeed
IndyFan

I've actually played a bit of Deadfall Adventures already, and I'm already liking it a lot more than "Tomb Raider." There's exploration, puzzles, and just an unapologetic level of pulpness to it that allows me to ignore the budget voice acting, plot, and dialogue thus far.
Gabeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #69
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Here's a game that's coming to the Playstation Network. It's called 1001 Spikes.

Does that look familiar? Hmmmmmmm?

The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #70
Skylover SC
IndyFan

Exclamation

In Broforce you can play as Indiana Brones
http://broforce.wikia.com/wiki/Indianna_Brones and many more characters from the 80s or 90s are available, like Brobocop or Rambro.

Very good little game

http://www.broforcegame.com
Skylover SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #71
RedWhirlwind
IndyFan

There's this one arcade game by Konami. It was called Dark Adventure I think? And there were three characters to play as and one of them looked like Indy.
RedWhirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:48 AM   #72
InVader
IndyFan

Quote:

Finally picked this up for 10 bucks this week on steam. It's not bad. The gun play isn't anything great, but the locations are interesting and the puzzles have been fun so far.
InVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #73
fixer79
IndyFan

Aha, this thread got renamed "Games with heavy Indiana Jones influences" instead of Indiana Jones rip-offs... Much better...

Then I'd say the Tomb Raider and Uncharted series!
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #74
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer79
Then I'd say the Tomb Raider and Uncharted series!
Yes, that somehow suddenly seems more reasonable.

However, for those wishing to discuss them in detail, I'd like to remind that we already have threads dedicated for both Tomb Raider and Uncharted games series.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #75
fixer79
IndyFan

What about this nice tip of the hat (so to speak) to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?
Mine cart chase levels have been in almost all Donkey Kong video games in the last twenty years since Donkey Kong Country (SNES, 1994).

fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote