Any chance for Ford or any other actors to be nominated for Academy Awards for KotCS?

deckard24

The Academy Award nominations for 2008 were announced this morning, and it got me thinking. Does anyone think Harrison Ford, or any other member of the cast of KotCS, has a chance at a nomination for next year's awards. Typically these kinds of movies are not recognized by the Academy, but in recent years we've had some leniency, ie. Johnny Depp for POTC in 2004 or Ian Mckellan for LotR: FotR in 2002. It does seem like a longshot, but Depp's Jack Sparrow was obviously influenced by Ford's Han Solo, and the critics compared the two endlessly over the last few years. If a rogue pirate in a popcorn blockbuster can get a nom., why not are favorite rogue adventuring archaeologist? Could the Academy also look more favorably on Ford due to his age in the new film. Something along the lines of, "he's always been great in this iconic role, let's give it to him now since he's so old and he lost in 1986 to William Hurt!"

What does everyone think?

Last edited:

deckard24

commontone said:
It's possible he could be nominated. But I don't think there's any way he would win.
I see the possibility for a nomination as well, but a win is really iffy. The character has been such a major film icon of the last near 30 years, and Ford brought so much to the role and defined it, that it would be a shame for him to go unrecognized. If Depp can get a nom., surely our man Harry deserves one!

Finn

Staff member
I seriously doubt it. Depp's Captain Sparrow was an unique and fresh character in all senses, plus it was one helluva transformation performance from the actor.

Indy, on the other hand is your everyday hero who shares the general qualities with every other action film character up to date. I also know that after making this statement, it doesn't take too many posts to someone come and tell me what a wonderfully deep and meaningful character he actually is. Save us the bother, I KNOW all you're going to say. And I agree.

We're fans, which means we've studied this character lot more than a regular Joe Viewer. Of course we see subtle instances of depth there were other folks see nothing. I don't think that's going to cut it for the academy however. Nothing's impossible however, if he somehow manages to play the age in or something (think John Wayne & the eyepatch), there could be a slim chance. But if we're mainly to see the same Indy we saw 20 years ago... well, didn't cut it back then, won't cut it now.

LOTR trilogy, by the way, got only one actor nomination, Ian McKellen (Best Supporting) for part I. In similar fashion, even though everybody and his uncle on this board has serious reservations towards Mutt, the only one I could somehow see nominated is Shia for best supporting.

deckard24

Finn said:
I seriously doubt it. Depp's Captain Sparrow was an unique and fresh character in all senses, plus it was one helluva transformation performance from the actor.

Indy, on the other hand is your everyday hero who shares the general qualities with every other action film character up to date. I also know that after making this statement, it doesn't take too many posts to someone come and tell me what a wonderfully deep and meaningful character he actually is. Save us the bother, I KNOW all you're going to say. And I agree.

We're fans, which means we've studied this character lot more than a regular Joe Viewer. Of course we see subtle instances of depth there were other folks see nothing. I don't think that's going to cut it for the academy however. Nothing's impossible however, if he somehow manages to play the age in or something (think John Wayne & the eyepatch), there could be a slim chance. But if we're mainly to see the same Indy we saw 20 years ago... well, didn't cut it back then, won't cut it now.

LOTR trilogy, by the way, got only one actor nomination, Ian McKellen (Best Supporting) for part I. In similar fashion, even though everybody and his uncle on this board has serious reservations towards Mutt, the only one I could somehow see nominated is Shia for best supporting.
Depp did transform quite a bit for the role, unlike Ford who mainly changed from his Clark Kent professor outfit to his superhero adventure gear. There was'nt a foreign accent either for Ford, so I get your point about how much Depp took it and ran with it as his own character. I'll save the why I love Indy speech, and let someone else do it for me! LOL

Good point on Wayne and the eyepatch for True Grit! I'm sure the age isue will be addressed in KotCS, and I hope that he's not the same exact Indy as we last saw him. I've always been vocal about wanting to see Ford play Indy in KotCS, as a character similar to William Munny(Clint Eastwood) in Unforgiven. That would definitely make the Academy sit up and take notice.

As for Shia, I like him just fine as an actor, but as for his potential role in KotCS I'm iffy. Maybe I'm being too harsh, considering I've not even seen the film yet. He was great in A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, Disturbia, and Transformers, so perhaps he'll win me over in KotCS? As for other actors who could get nominated, Blanchett is always a possibility considering she gets nominated almost every year. Has she even played the villain before, because I'm drawing a blank? Winstone, Allen and Hurt are of course possibilites as well.

DaveTheHutt

I don't think we're going to see Indiana Jones meets Unforgiven! Lest we forget, this series has its roots in Saturday morning adventure serials! We're not going to see a haunted Indy examining his life and facing his own mortality - way to sell tickets to the Saturday night crowd, dude!

It's going to be an adventure with comedic moments, like all the rest. There may be sub-plots regarding Indy's age, but I don't think they'll be centre stage - think of how they dealt with Indy and his dad; their gradual bonding added motivation and emotional weight to the action, but primarily it was an action film.

And no matter how good the film is (pls be awesome!!!) I think Oscar noms are unlikely, apart from in the technical areas - summer action films rarely do well in the 'big categories', plus rewarding a third sequel sends out all the wrong messages.

deckard24

DaveTheHutt said:
I don't think we're going to see Indiana Jones meets Unforgiven! Lest we forget, this series has its roots in Saturday morning adventure serials! We're not going to see a haunted Indy examining his life and facing his own mortality - way to sell tickets to the Saturday night crowd, dude!

It's going to be an adventure with comedic moments, like all the rest. There may be sub-plots regarding Indy's age, but I don't think they'll be centre stage - think of how they dealt with Indy and his dad; their gradual bonding added motivation and emotional weight to the action, but primarily it was an action film.

And no matter how good the film is (pls be awesome!!!) I think Oscar noms are unlikely, apart from in the technical areas - summer action films rarely do well in the 'big categories', plus rewarding a third sequel sends out all the wrong messages.
I don't think we'll see an Indy film like that either, but that doesn't change the fact I wouldn't mind seeing some of those elements(maybe not as serious in tone though)! As for it selling tickets, the Indy films have always been fun and for the most part lighthearted, with the exception of ToD, so I agree that an Unforgiven Indy film wouldn't break the bank.

As for rewarding a 3rd sequel, there is a point there, but the academy did finally decide to reward the accomplishments of the LotR by awarding RotK 11 Oscars! It's true summer action films don't do that well in the eyes of the academy, but with the recent acknowledgement of comedy ie. Little Miss Sunshine and Juno, and the nominations of action/fantasy characters like Depp and Mckellan, anything is possible!

indy124

well the fact that he is 65 years old depending on how well he does and looks on screen as action hero could be something for them to notice u think

DaveTheHutt

Well, it was only a couple of years ago he was roughing people up in Firewall, and I didn't see any gongs being handed out for that classic.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I predict that KotCS will be nominated for, in 2009:
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN
ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP
ACHIEVEMENT IN MUSIC WRITTEN FOR MOTION PICTURES (ORIGINAL SCORE)
ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING
ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING

Ska

DaveTheHutt said:
Well, it was only a couple of years ago he was roughing people up in Firewall, and I didn't see any gongs being handed out for that classic.

hahaha

Sarcasm...I love it!:D

Aaron H said:
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP

I hope you're right about the nomination for best score. The question is can Williams conjure up a soundtrack of such genius as the original trilogy? I think the sound editing nomination is already in the bag - the trilogy were all up for that one weren't they. Not so sure about the screenplay.

WhipItGood

I might add BEST VISUAL EFFECTS to Aaron's list, depending on what's in the film.

Given how the Academy trends to nominate actors (which takes 'deserving' out of the equation), I doubt Ford will get a KOTCS nomination for a couple reasons:
1) it'll be the fourth time he plays this character, and the Academy isn't big on rewarding sequel efforts for actors (with a couple exceptions); and 2) the film is a summer release, when typically many acting nominations arise from later-season or year-end released films.

Ford's been nominated for more straightforward acting roles already and not won, so it's not likely he'd prevail for KOTCS. On the other hand, I hope KOTCS provides him with a great script and acting challenge, and he does so well in it that he bucks the Academy odds.

deckard24

DaveTheHutt said:
The Academy loved his Alfalfa hairdo in Firewall though! There were rumors of a best hair category being created for Ford for Firewall, Nicholas Cage for The Wicker Man, and Bruce Willis for Alpha Dog.

deckard24

Aaron H said:
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP
Good predictions Aaron H!

Nice one WhipItGood! Visual effects should be added as well.

Herr Gruber, we can only hope Williams can knock another one out of the park. His track record though indicates it's very possible! The scores for the first 3 films are amazing, so originality will be key. It can't simply be a rehash of the Raiders music.

bergstrom

Aaron H said:
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP

Original Screeenplay?? Who will collect it?? Koepp, Darabont?

If film is nominated, it will probably be in visual fx, sound and other technical categories.

berg

WhipItGood

bergstrom said:
Original Screeenplay?? Who will collect it?? Koepp, Darabont?

That all depends on the final arbitration process, which hasn't been resolved. Once they know what's actually in the film, the WGA can decide who wrote how much of it and how to fairly distribute credit ('screenplay by', 'story by', 'based on' etc.).

The final credits will determine who is eligible for any nominations.

Adamwankenobi

Finn said:
Nothing's impossible however, if he somehow manages to play the age in or something (think John Wayne & the eyepatch), there could be a slim chance.

Well, I for one know I'd like to see Indy wearing an eyepatch at some point in KOTCS. ;) (y)

Sankara

I guess there is a chance for Ford, Blachett and some others actors!
An Oscar for Ford? This day would be my second Birthday! :D

@Adamwankenobi
As if that would ever happen!

notimeforlove

deckard24 said:
The Academy Award nominations for 2008 were announced this morning, and it got me thinking. Does anyone think Harrison Ford, or any other member of the cast of KotCS, has a chance at a nomination for next year's awards. Typically these kinds of movies are not recognized by the Academy, but in recent years we've had some leniency, ie. Johnny Depp for POTC in 2004 or Ian Mckellan for LotR: FotR in 2002. It does seem like a longshot, but Depp's Jack Sparrow was obviously influenced by Ford's Han Solo, and the critics compared the two endlessly over the last few years. If a rogue pirate in a popcorn blockbuster can get a nom., why not are favorite rogue adventuring archaeologist? Could the Academy also look more favorably on Ford due to his age in the new film. Something along the lines of, "he's always been great in this iconic role, let's give it to him now since he's so old and he lost in 1986 to William Hurt!"

What does everyone think?

never ever.