Ideas For New Indy Actor

Spurlock

Sam Worthington. He's not crazy big, just like Harrison was when he got the part, though he had done some noticeable projects (Star Wars, and in Worthington's case, Avatar).

Anthony Ingruber

Túrin Turambar said:
give that Anthony Ingruber a chance looks lik a young ford

I agree 100%. I watched those youtube videos and he even pulls off the mannerisms. Plus I think he's done something for Disney already. (Although I am still a bit confused on the whole Disney/Paramount thing)

Spurlock

I don't like Anthony Ingruber, he's just imitating Harrison Ford. That's not what Indiana Jones is, that's Harrison Ford's interoperation of him.

Plus I doubt he'd be able to simply imitate another actor's every move for an entire movie for 2 reasons: 1) he's copying what Ford has already said and acted, so he can study his specific actions, not his personal technique and 2)it'd be exhausting training to be another actor.

I say a new Indy can have his differences from Ford, but he just has to be the same Indy.

Not even going to consider Sam Worthington?
600full-sam-worthington.jpg

Sam Worthington

I just don't think he's the type. Although I do hear he's up for a sci-fi version of Allan Quatermain. That I am very interested in.

I still think they should let Young Indy himself, Sean Patrick Flannery, have a go. He brought his own to the character up to the 1920s or so. But he's 47 now. He could probably play a mid thirties version.

To keep this fresh (I dont think this has been posted before....)
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/opinions/who-could-be-the-next-indy.php

I must say, I only see one actor on there who might me good and that is the guy from Firefly.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
I don't like Anthony Ingruber, he's just imitating Harrison Ford. That's not what Indiana Jones is, that's Harrison Ford's interoperation of him.

Plus I doubt he'd be able to simply imitate another actor's every move for an entire movie for 2 reasons: 1) he's copying what Ford has already said and acted, so he can study his specific actions, not his personal technique and 2)it'd be exhausting training to be another actor.

I say a new Indy can have his differences from Ford, but he just has to be the same Indy.

Not even going to consider Sam Worthington?
600full-sam-worthington.jpg

I agree. What's the damn point of rebooting the character with a new actor if you don't let the newbie do his own unique take (sure, a few quirks and such from the original could be retained, but otherwise let the actor do his job and act, not copy)? In that case, just flippin' create a CGI Harrison and let the animators perfectly replicate Ford's every tic and mannerism (impossible, by the way).

It annoys me that people seem to think that when they recreate a classic timeless character, they should carbon-copy the original portrayal. Where's the originality in that? The innovation? I thought a major criticism of modern Hollywood was the lack of creativity and change with properties. Don't these folks realize that if there was more risk-taking and creativity with established properties, all these rebootquels coming out wouldn't seem so tedious or redundant? They'd be original, unique takes on a classic idea, and maybe even breathe new life into it.

But my argument is likely falling on uncaring ears. This is a Ford fetish site, after all...:rolleyes:

P.S. And Spurlock, I wouldn't be opposed to Worthington as long as he finally mastered covering up his Aussie accent and was given more humor to work with. Poor guy keeps getting put in angsty blockbuster roles that don't allow him to show much wit or likability, which is essential for Indy. Unless if they were deliberately going for a darker, more brooding Dr. Jones, which, again, is at least more intriguing than trying (and failing) to perfectly mimic Ford's Indy (see my point above).

the new indy actor will be a unknown actor im pretty sure the guy isnt known now, and the reboot wont happen till harrison dies and i hope that wont happen for a long time.

Spurlock

kongisking said:
P.S. And Spurlock, I wouldn't be opposed to Worthington as long as he finally mastered covering up his Aussie accent and was given more humor to work with. Poor guy keeps getting put in angsty blockbuster roles that don't allow him to show much wit or likability, which is essential for Indy. Unless if they were deliberately going for a darker, more brooding Dr. Jones, which, again, is at least more intriguing than trying (and failing) to perfectly mimic Ford's Indy (see my point above).

Yeah, he did have a more light hearted, humorous mood in the beginning or Avatar. I feel like he suppresses it to play a role. Plus I feel like his seriousness could feed into humor, like how a fear of snakes would alter his tone.

For his accent, while covering it up may be important, lets not forget that Indiana Jones is a world traveller, picking up an accent isn't the craziest thing to happen to him. That being said, I don't want crocodile dundee as Indy either, but I wouldn't mind a hint of one.

Too bad he'll be wrapped up in making the next 3 avatar films back to back.

I also like the idea of Ewan McGregor, and not just because Obi Wan was my favorite Jedi.

the only actor i can think of is Anthony ingruber the kid is a very good actor and he is the picture image of a young ford reminds me of river too i say give him a chance he could maybe do it justice

studio007.jpg

kongisking

Túrin Turambar said:
the only actor i can think of is Anthony ingruber the kid is a very good actor and he is the picture image of a young ford reminds me of river too i say give him a chance he could maybe do it justice

studio007.jpg

Again, see my argument above. :hat:

Mickiana

I am very amenable to a young actor becoming a new Indiana Jones and don't believe he has to be precisely like Harrison Ford. Though, Harrison has created an expectation amongst audiences of what IJ is like, since he played him first and foremost. So, while I don't expect a carbon copy, I don't think a suggestion of someone like Anthony Ingruber is without merit. The fact that he looks like HF and can mimic him somewhat is amusing and isn't a bad thing in and of itself. But whether he could get anywhere near a role of that caliber is another thing. Looking like and acting like HF may not be the main prerequisites that future selectors would be looking for.

Spurlock

Another person I think would be an interesting fit is Tom Hardy. Yes I know he's a bit more famous than you want the new Ford to be, but take a look:

02.JPG

movies_lawless_still_1.jpg

That's him in the movie lawless, and even though he's not a perfect fit, he's has a good look in a fedora and fits into the time period well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn

Staff member
Mickiana said:
I am very amenable to a young actor becoming a new Indiana Jones and don't believe he has to be precisely like Harrison Ford. Though, Harrison has created an expectation amongst audiences of what IJ is like, since he played him first and foremost. So, while I don't expect a carbon copy, I don't think a suggestion of someone like Anthony Ingruber is without merit. The fact that he looks like HF and can mimic him somewhat is amusing and isn't a bad thing in and of itself. But whether he could get anywhere near a role of that caliber is another thing. Looking like and acting like HF may not be the main prerequisites that future selectors would be looking for.
I'd say it depends on whether we're looking at a future reboot or simply prequel continuation of the existing series.

If the former, then going off the tangent a bit in order to let the new face bring something of his own to the mix is not a bad thing at all. But if the aim is to simply portray the "Ford Indy" in another stage of his life, there need to be substantial similarities in order to willingly suspend ones disbelief that we're still looking at the same character.

Mickiana

I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of a "prequel continuation" as you put it. In this regard, someone more like HF would have benefits, but I recognise that as time goes on, recognising a new young actor as being 'Harrison Fordish' is maybe not so important for newer audiences. But, he's got to look like something and it can't be the village idiot.

Are we at the point that we think Harrison looks like Indiana Jones, so we think future Indiana Joneses have to look like Harrison? Maybe this logic doesn't need to be employed in the real world. I am not a Ford Fetishist myself. He is a great first Indiana Jones, but I do hope someone else gets to fill the Aldens in either a reboot or "prequel continuation".