Regarding The Use of Aliens

The_Raiders

I didn't mind the alien body much either. I think the whole movie is pretty good up until you see that aliens. And all the skeletons merge together. Then it just loses everything that it had going.

fenris

Yep. I wasn't bothered by the alien corpses... but was definitely bothered by seeing the live alien. Also, seeing that "portal" they were generating was just too much sci-fi for an Indy film. A flash of light would've sufficed.

Forbidden Eye

fenris said:
It was the ending that did it. Having them face to face with the "aliens" ruined it for me. I'd rather that nothing happened when they returned the skull. I never liked that returning the skull would reanimate the alien.

Maybe they should've remained skeletons... Then in a brilliant flash of light, vanished! Leaving everyone dumbfounded, without an explanation and nothing to fight over.

Pretty much where I stand. I love the idea of aliens, the crystal skull made the idea tolerable, and it was something I'd never seen in a movie before(or anyone else really), and I love the bit of exchange Indy tells Mutt, "Depends on who your God is." But once the skeletons formed into one living alien, it really was too much(and having all the CGI didn't exactly help).

It really is a shame. It started out fine, where the execution was just mysterious enough, and they had to lazily end it on a silly note.

What do you all want to know?

Aliens?

It was a great leap of faith for Indiana Jones, one that Spielberg wasn't on board for.

Judging by the execution of the premise neither were we.

The idea might have been plausible, unfortunately what we got was crap.

Here's hoping they don't leave us to stew over Crystal Skull.

I don't think so.

There's been enough of a back lash regarding what they've produced.

I've got to hope they're considering that with regards to a new adventure.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I don't think so.

There's been enough of a back lash regarding what they've produced.

I've got to hope they're considering that with regards to a new adventure.

I see only Lucas dressed as Shiva. Creator and destroyer of worlds, He doesn't mean to. But he just does.

The only hope for a better Indy 5 disappeared when Lucas failed to climb aboard the departing saucer. He's still there, still in control. Aliens were his determination, and who knows where he'll go next, and how high Spielberg's eyes will roll before he says, "Okay, my old buddy, my old friend, my old pal."

Ford will just be grateful to be tossed another Scooby Snack.

Montana Smith said:
I see only Lucas dressed as Shiva. Creator and destroyer of worlds, He doesn't mean to. But he just does.

The only hope for a better Indy 5 disappeared when Lucas failed to climb aboard the departing saucer. He's still there, still in control. Aliens were his determination, and who knows where he'll go next, and how high Spielberg's eyes will roll before he says, "Okay, my old buddy, my old friend, my old pal."

Ford will just be grateful to be tossed another Scooby Snack.
There is the whole frightening aspect of Lucas further endulging his ID.

I'm the sad sap who still holds hope that isn't the case!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
There is the whole frightening aspect of Lucas further endulging his ID.

I'm the sad sap who still holds hope that isn't the case!

I guess you still believe in Santa Cluas, too. But the sad fact is that last Christmas I mistook him for a burglar and hit him a little too hard with the poker.

HJTHX1138

replican't said:
Who is Sharkey? Never met the man, woman, thing.

Look - why prod the smelly corpse of KOCS any longer? The aliens idea was rubbish, from conception to execution.

The point was to discuss ideas on solutions, as opposed to just talk about how much we all hate it and the current state of Lucas/Speilburg.

facepalm.jpg

I feel like I started the worst thread ever, why is everyone complete ignoring my point? Come up with something, you know, a discussion?

HJTHX1138 said:
I feel like I started the worst thread ever, why is everyone complete ignoring my point? Come up with something, you know, a discussion?

I sympathize!

But THIS is our community...like it or not!

Stilll, what did Shark-Fu do to get banned this time?!

Pretty odd...

Montana Smith

HJTHX1138 said:
The point was to discuss ideas on solutions, as opposed to just talk about how much we all hate it and the current state of Lucas/Speilburg.

The problem with aliens is as the problem of Lucas.

Great ideas fall on stony ground, and Spielberg is left to pick up the pieces as best he can so he old buddy doesn't embarrass himself further.

Too late for solutions now.

Rocket Surgeon said:

Pretty odd...

Careful speaking of the departed. (You might awaken an angry spirit)

Montana Smith said:

Great ideas fall on stony ground, and Spielberg is left to pick up the pieces as best he can so he old buddy doesn't embarrass himself further.

Too late for solutions now
Yeah, catch up with you later!

Montana Smith said:
Careful speaking of the departed. (You might awaken an angry spirit)
Not sweating his departure...he was raher crass but...

HJTHX1138

Montana Smith said:

That shouldn't stop us . . . We can only guess that's how it happened, but we can always imagine a better outcome.

Kind of an awesome thing about fiction, everything is subjective, usually not written in stone . . . unless we see to that . . .

Montana Smith

HJTHX1138 said:
That shouldn't stop us . . . We can only guess that's how it happened, but we can always imagine a better outcome.

Kind of an awesome thing about fiction, everything is subjective, usually not written in stone . . . unless we see to that . . .

Writing it better becomes a game of 'what if...' It becomes fan fiction. We could instead analyse what we were presented with, and find a more fitting interpretation of it.

I have my own interpretation which I find most satisfying. I'm glad of the aliens, glad that Lucas considered them before Raiders. They make the tetralogy sit comfortably in my mind as a complete whole.

It's other issues in KOTCS that concern me more than the poor execution of the alien idea.

HJTHX1138

Montana Smith said:
Writing it better becomes a game of 'what if...' It becomes fan fiction. We could instead analyse what we were presented with, and find a more fitting interpretation of it.

Uhh . . . Isn't that what I originally suggested . . . and came up with on my own?

Let's just let this thread die then if it's that bad.

Montana Smith

HJTHX1138 said:
Uhh . . . Isn't that what I originally suggested . . . and came up with on my own?

And so did I earlier in the thread. But with the aliens I think it's better to work with what we were given. If KOTCS is to be accepted as part of the Indy story we would need to interpet what we saw on screen, and how that relates to the other three movies, rather than rewrite the scenes to fit how we expected things to occur.

Yet even so, other issues are pulling at the film, making it an unstable part of the series. To the point where it's easier to assume that Indy was a figment of a cranky old man's imagination.

Finn

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Let's just say that his number came up.

Though we're still in process of investigating what else those numbers might bring up. But this is not the time nor place for that discussion.