TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 07-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
Indy1986
IndyFan

Where were the death traps???

why did Kindgom not have any death traps in the temple at the end????
is that scene where the stairs pull back into the wall really supposed to count as a trap? i think it is more of a mechanical coincidence....if there would have been at least one good trap that would have killed "the double agent" thne the movie would have been more memorable...
every othe rindy movie had delicious traps as we all know
Indy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

Probably there were no traps because the designers of the temple figured the riddle of the obelisk was unsolvable. That's all I've got.

Or, because the aliens actually wanted the skull returned, killing whoever was bringing the skull back before they'd returned it would be pointless, hence no traps beyond the stupid retracting stairs.
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Indy1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshmeister
Probably there were no traps because the designers of the temple figured the riddle of the obelisk was unsolvable. That's all I've got.

Or, because the aliens actually wanted the skull returned, killing whoever was bringing the skull back before they'd returned it would be pointless, hence no traps beyond the stupid retracting stairs.

still i think that david koep could have put something better into the script than just those stairs....come on it is not that hard to find a reason to put in a nice death trap and i bet it would have made the movie way more exciting....the stairs were a joke....tension is built up but nothing happens they all land safely in the water....at least somebody should have died....
Old 07-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

The traps should of all been in the cemetary..................

Think about this there were death traps but they were all people lol.
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Bvance
IndyFan

No Death Traps??

Ok, You are right there aren't any. Except the stairs that were VERY disappointing. I have also thought that the reason there were no death traps at Akator was because the aliens wanted the person returning the skull to survive.

I think it would have been cool if the water they fell into after the stairs retracted was a whirlpool that started sucking them down and they had to escape. Or the water is acidic or there are Piranhas in it or something. Don't you think?
Bvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
Indy1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991

definitely the cimitary was the perfect setting for a trap.....i mean come on the build up tension "don't touhc anything" and you think something cool is gonna happen and then it is just that rolling entrance platform to the grave....i wished there was some cool trap involved at least one
Old 07-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
A_True_Believer
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvance
No Death Traps??

Ok, You are right there aren't any. Except the stairs that were VERY disappointing. I have also thought that the reason there were no death traps at Akator was because the aliens wanted the person returning the skull to survive.

I think it would have been cool if the water they fell into after the stairs retracted was a whirlpool that started sucking them down and they had to escape. Or the water is acidic or there are Piranhas in it or something. Don't you think?

The stairs were the deathtrap. There were large stone spikes in the pool at the bottom. Unfortunately, that wasn't made very clear in the film. I think that scene could have been edited better. I would have added a few seconds where they see how high they are and see the spikes at the bottom before the stairs start retracting. The danger of the scene had to be established first, and it really wasn't.
A_True_Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
nitzsche
IndyFan

The stairs retract and Spielberg pans down to several impaled skeletons below. The spikes at the bottom of the dead fall are shown a few times. He's got an overhead shot of them running around the steps and one from the bottom looking up.
nitzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Bvance
IndyFan

And I guess that the height of the fall would kill you if you moved like a snail.

Well, I saw the spikes and the impaled skeletons, but if you make it as far down as Indy and co. did then you are outside of the spike zone so to speak???
Bvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #10
nitzsche
IndyFan

I would imagine it would even be possible to fall between the stairs if you are not careful as well. Plus, even if you miss a spike, the water could still be shallow enough that you could hit your head or break a leg if you fell to the bottom.

The great thing about this scene is that it is a real set and the stairs were actually retracting. Granted, everyone was on safety wires, but Karen Allen said it sucked to have to run through it.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #11
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

I guess everyone once again has forgotten the scorpions?
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #12
Crack that whip
IndyFan

I don't think the scorpions are a "trap," per se, just a naturally occurring hazard.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:20 AM   #13
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Wait the Army General said " Indy you know better not to climb into refridgerators those things can be death traps" There you go
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:38 AM   #14
nitzsche
IndyFan

I also consider the sandpit to be an Indy trap moment even though it is a natural hazard. It's not the same tone as the other suspenseful traps, but it still is a life or death moment with Indy willing to die rather than grab the snake.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #15
muttjones
IndyFan

Location: Australia (The only place Indy hasn't visited yet!)
there weren't proper indy traps except for the stairs thing.

It would be cool if the spinning medallion floor trap thing at the cemetery had some danger to it. Like underneath there is a bottomless pit or that the walls are closing in on indy. Something because that whole scene seemed rather slow so i think they chucked in the scorpions to try and liven it up a bit.
a bit disappointing.
muttjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:52 AM   #16
Professor Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttjones
there weren't proper indy traps except for the stairs thing.

It would be cool if the spinning medallion floor trap thing at the cemetery had some danger to it. Like underneath there is a bottomless pit or that the walls are closing in on indy. Something because that whole scene seemed rather slow so i think they chucked in the scorpions to try and liven it up a bit.
a bit disappointing.

I agree... we cannot count as "trap" every danger that was in the movie (sandpit, scorpions and so on...). Danger is a gender and trap is the species. I mean that you can say that every trap is a danger but you cannot say that every danger is a trap.

So, considered that in any Indy movie there's a plenty of dangers, you must admit that the previous movies were peculiarly characterized by the fact that a good number of dangers that Indy should pass through were represented by deadly traps. One must seriously and honestly admit that there were almost none of them in KOCTS (except for the stairs thing). That I consider a fault in an Indy movie. They should have given more space to witty booby traps than to other less indysh things.
Professor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
nitzsche
IndyFan

Well, look guys... Temple only had one trap - the "spike room". Crusade had three "trials" but only one of those could really be considered a "booby trap" and that is the "breath of God" blades. Raiders had the "Forrestal spikes" and the poison darts (the giant boulder if you consider that more than just something to block the entrance/exit).

Temple had one trap. Crusade had one trap. Skull had one trap.

Raiders had a lot of things going on in the teaser temple raid, but Indy encountered zero traps during the quest for the Ark.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #18
Indy1986
IndyFan

still the stiars tap in kindgodm could have been better what i hated were the spikes....they were stone spikes that didnt look sharp or dangerous even if they were but still i rather would have liked the type of spikes they had in temple
Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #19
RaideroftheArk
IndyFan

Why have traps for returning an artifact to where it rightfully belongs? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I thought the stairs were good enough.
RaideroftheArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #20
Sankara

Where is the story?

Where is the humor?

Where are the real and good action-scenes?

Where is Indiana Jones in this movie?

Well, no traps is one of the many-many mistakes in Movie. Yes, there is only one trap in "Doom" - but this is a long and very good scene. The stair-scene in "Skull" is very short and not really good.
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #21
Professor Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaideroftheArk
Why have traps for returning an artifact to where it rightfully belongs? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

And who ever said that the traps should have been just and only in the Akator temple? As someone correctly pointed out, the proper place where to have them would have been the cemetery. Or, if this was a better-made Indy movie they could simply have shot more archaeological scenes were to put them.

Anyway, allow me to specify that maybe aren't just the "traps" that someone of us feel missing: we probably missed good enigmas (more witty than the "return" dilemma), curious tricks, secret doors and passages (such as the mobile stone in Raiders or the secret stairs and the secret passage to catacombs in Crusade and so on...). We missed that ingenious fantasy-archaological tricks that the old saga accostumed us to. Just that.
Professor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #22
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
I don't think the scorpions are a "trap," per se, just a naturally occurring hazard.

Well, you can easily say the exact same thing about the bugs in TOD as there are a lot of bugs in the jungle, and since they weren't poisonous, they were a natural hazard as well. Same thing with the rats in LC, rats are often found in sewers.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #23
nitzsche
IndyFan

Finding Orellana's grave and the skull was full of enigma and "curious tricks". Orellana's cradle was guarded by the living dead - they had poisonous blow darts. Then there were hidden levers that operated a hidden door blocking a concealed crawlspace that happened to be a "tricky" stone balance that needed to be tipped to reveal the chamber where Orellana and his men lay mummified.

This was an awesome sequence with good banter between Indy and Mutt.

So you guys have to be kidding with these garbage complaints. The staircase at Akator is a trap. It's there. It's one trap like the spike room in Temple, or one trap like the breath of God in Crusade.

Gee, where was the trap in Crusade underneath the library guarding the knight and the shield marker? Oh right, there wasn't one. Instead, we get a couple "X-marks-the-spot" moments and then some rats -- no booby traps.

In Temple, you get the spike room trap that only is a danger if two specific buttons are pushed - one on the floor and one on the wall. Nice how contrived it is that Short Round triggers both for the convenient "booby trap" sequence in Temple. Yeah it was a fun, awesome scene -- but c'mon, it was totally contrived just for the sake of it. Both doors were opened too, so it's not like someone would think to push any buttons to get the one door open. It's silly.

So stop it with the silly lies like "there were no traps" in Skull or archaeological "enigmas" when there obviously were. You can say how much they displeased you, but you can't change the facts or try to pretend the other sequels somehow were packed to the brim with "booby trap" moments.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #24
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzsche
So stop it with the silly lies like "there were no traps" in Skull or archaeological "enigmas" when there obviously were. You can say how much they displeased you, but you can't change the facts or try to pretend the other sequels somehow were packed to the brim with "booby trap" moments.
I wholeheartedly agree. Most of the great trap ideas occur within the first 10 minutes of the very 1st movie.
Traps are immediately associated with Indy films because of this. The staircase sequence in "Skull" was,
unfortunately, too brief but I did appreciate the stone slab balance in the cemetary. (More of a "secret door"
than a life-threatening contraption, but a nice example of anti-grave robber engineering.)

Although technically not "booby traps", the escape from the throne room had a few similar moments.
Timing the jumps for the door in the spinning room and running through the gigantic cog wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
True, but like the tarantulas in "Raiders", the scorpions are still one of the dangers that the infiltrator must pass.
I've always counted the spiders as 1 of the 7 raider-stopping devices in The Temple of Chachapoyan Warriors.

1) The tarantulas
2) The light beam
3) The bottomless pit
4) The stone-triggered floor
5) The altar stone trigger
6) The falling stone slab/door
7) The rolling boulder
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #25
CrystalSkull13
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991

I dont think they could have done that because its a real cemetery, and they had already been pushing it, by putting in rooms that aren't there.
CrystalSkull13 is offline   Reply With Quote