What's Harrison Ford doing these days?

IndyForever

Túrin Turambar said:
If he's been going to his mate Steve's house, they must be formulating a big plan
Maybe even bypassing the greedy mouse.
I agree no other reason Harrison would visit Steven's house unless it was to kickstart Indy 5 ;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Dude, stick with the bright side.

200.gif

So what you're sayin' is:

giphy.gif

(that's a Dorian Grey reference, for the non scholars out there)

IndyForever

Túrin Turambar said:
Exactly someone with the same brain as mine at last.
We chose wisely the Prattites chose poorly :whip: Harry will be Indy again & the lead character in a 2 movie series serial cliffhanger with Spielberg directing.

Disney can only get their money back from the Indy franchise with Harrison starring & Steven directing that will happen within a year I think it will be filming Lucas is probably not going to be involved anymore as he is seriously retired now.

I wonder if the Harrison should not be Indy again people will still watch his last 2 movies though :rolleyes:

DDW1

There is a way they could please both camps. Create a story that takes place in both the 20s/30s and 60s. Harrison Ford would only have to film what would be the length of one film, the actor they cast as young Indy would do the same. Edit those stories together to make an epic two film adventure. That would be the smartest move, then that would give Ford his farewell and the new actor could take over the series after that storyline. Doesn't seem that difficult an idea, only the longer Disney waits...

Z dweller

DDW1 said:
There is a way they could please both camps. Create a story that takes place in both the 20s/30s and 60s. Harrison Ford would only have to film what would be the length of one film, the actor they cast as young Indy would do the same. Edit those stories together to make an epic two film adventure. That would be the smartest move, then that would give Ford his farewell and the new actor could take over the series after that storyline. Doesn't seem that difficult an idea, only the longer Disney waits...
Yes, this was suggested before here at the Raven (Pale Horse was the first, IIRC) and personally I agree that it would be the best way for Ford to hand over the role to the next actor, hopefully even in the eyes of hardcore Ford fans who at the moment cannot imagine anyone else wearing the fedora.

However, I doubt that Disney would spread that out over two movies: one would be enough from a storyline perspective, and one big sendoff for Harry is a lot punchier comercially than two.
Also, I believe that they would give the new actor a lot more screen time than Harry, not 50/50 like you suggest.

DDW1

No, I agree, if Disney utilizes Ford at all it will be as bookends or as storyteller through flashbacks, which is unfortunate. It will feel out of place, as if they felt they HAD to include him or something. I think Ford should be a vital part of the story, 50/50. But to do a story like that, to do it well, a la Godftaher part II, it would be too long as an adventure film, godfather II clocks in at 3 hrs and 20 min, that's why I mentioned the two films. A pipe dream I know, but it would the perfect scenario.

7 years wasted since skull, he could have got it done by now. Been working on other stuff though and getting stoned and generally doing what he wants when he wants.

IndyForever

Túrin Turambar said:
7 years wasted since skull, he could have got it done by now. Been working on other stuff though and getting stoned and generally doing what he wants when he wants.
Lucas is to blame though not Harrison. Lucas said since 2008 he was working on a story but really in secret he was doing SW7-9 & selling to Disney. Indy 5 was just his cover story. Then 2 years he moaned about having to please Steven & Harrison storywise....something does not add up to me ;)

Harrison has always been keen Lucas is the real reason its not happened but still some chance for Harrison as Disney have little chance of getting their money back unless Harrison is the lead actor in the entire movie as Harrison is quite literally the franchise the character will never work without Harrison!

You know it...I know it....Spielberg knows it.......Bob Iger knows it ;)

Finn

Staff member
IndyForever said:
Harrison has always been keen Lucas is the real reason its not happened but still some chance for Harrison as Disney have little chance of getting their money back unless Harrison is the lead actor in the entire movie as Harrison is quite literally the franchise the character will never work without Harrison!
A whole bunch of books, comics, video games and an entire tv series begs to disagree. The character lives and breathes just fine in plenty of materials that have nothing to do with Mr. Ford.

IndyForever

Finn said:
A whole bunch of books, comics, video games and an entire tv series begs to disagree. The character lives and breathes just fine in plenty of materials that have nothing to do with Mr. Ford.
If you asked the majority of the movie going public to name who Indiana Jones IS I think 99.9% would say Harrison Ford :hat:

Ford IS Indiana Jones to the vast majority of the movie going public. Disney know this thats why they will have Ford starring again all they need to do is convince Spielberg to do it with minimal Lucas involvment (now Disney tossed his EP7-9 ideas I doubt he has much time for them as he is one of the most stubborn film makers around).

You anti Ford people make me laugh as you would pay to watch him as Indy again yet petition for him to lose the part :sick: that's just plain weird :confused:

Finn

Staff member
IndyForever said:
If you asked the majority of the movie going public to name who Indiana Jones IS I think 99.9% would say Harrison Ford.
If you asked the movie-going public to describe the character of Indiana Jones, 99.9% would call him an adventurer archaelogist who wears a "cowboy hat" and a whip, hunts lost relics and fights the Nazis in the 1930s, and they may add, "portrayed by Harrison Ford". However, they will NOT describe him as an elderly man who still wears the hat and fights god-knows-who in the 1960s or the 70s.

You can't just dress Ford in a fedora and say, "here you have Indiana Jones". You also need the proper timeframe and surroundings to complete the icon. Those are equally important to having the right man inside the clothes. And they, sadly, are something Mr. Ford can't provide any longer.

You're saying that 99.9% recognize Ford as Indy, which may be true - but the real question you should be asking yourself if it's the same percentage who are willing to accept him and only him for the part. It's not the same number, and I'm willing to bet good $$$ for that. Think a little - if even some of us fans are willing to accept a new face, is it really so that casual viewers will be up in arms over the switch? If I told my dad, who doesn't live and breathe the character like this board does, but has seen all the movies and thinks they're "pretty good", that there's a fifth installment in the making and that they've got a new guy portraying Indy, I'm fairly sure he wouldn't go all "how dare they replace Ford?", rather than "oh, interesting, let's go see it when it comes out".

Aaaand that will be the response of the 99.9% when they recast the role, and Disney will be very happy to have their money.

IndyForever said:
You anti Ford people make me laugh as you would pay to watch him as Indy again yet petition for him to lose the part
Nobody here is petitioning against anything - it's the simple matter of accepting the reality against betting on what may be wishful thinking at best.

IndyForever

Finn said:
If you asked the movie-going public to describe the character of Indiana Jones, 99.9% would call him an adventurer archaelogist who wears a "cowboy hat" and a whip, hunts lost relics and fights the Nazis in the 1930s, and they may add, "portrayed by Harrison Ford". However, they will NOT describe him as an elderly man who still wears the hat and fights god-knows-who in the 1960s or the 70s.

You can't just dress Ford in a fedora and say, "here you have Indiana Jones". You also need the proper timeframe and surroundings to complete the icon. Those are equally important to having the right man inside the clothes. And they, sadly, are something Mr. Ford can't provide any longer.

You're saying that 99.9% recognize Ford as Indy, which may be true - but the real question you should be asking yourself if it's the same percentage who are willing to accept him and only him for the part. It's not the same number, and I'm willing to bet good $$$ for that. Think a little - if even some of us fans are willing to accept a new face, is it really so that casual viewers will be up in arms over the switch? If I told my dad, who doesn't live and breathe the character like this board does, but has seen all the movies and thinks they're "pretty good", that there's a fifth installment in the making and that they've got a new guy portraying Indy, I'm fairly sure he wouldn't go all "how dare they replace Ford?", rather than "oh, interesting, let's go see it when it comes out".

Aaaand that will be the response of the 99.9% when they recast the role, and Disney will be very happy to have their money.

Nobody here is petitioning against anything - it's the simple matter of accepting the reality against betting on what may be wishful thinking at best.
Prepare for a major disappointment Disney are highly unlikely to relaunch an Indiana Jones movie WITHOUT the lead actor whilst he can still easily generate a $1b+ gross.

Don't overthink things here keep it simple that way the bitter pill you are struggling to accept will be far easier to swallow :whip:

Lambonius

IndyForever said:
Prepare for a major disappointment Disney are highly unlikely to relaunch an Indiana Jones movie WITHOUT the lead actor whilst he can still easily generate a $1b+ gross.

Don't overthink things here keep it simple that way the bitter pill you are struggling to accept will be far easier to swallow :whip:

You are amusingly naive.

Disney is going to do what they think will be most profitable and will have the most public appeal. Right now, there is a lot of buzz about who is going to be playing Indy in the inevitable franchise relaunch. Note that the buzz is not about IF there is going to be a new actor playing Indy, but rather, growing public interest in WHO that new actor will be. If Disney was planning on having Ford as Indy (not just in a bookend role, but as the lead throughout the film,) this speculation would not be nearly as rampant or getting as much public attention. Disney is going to keep the momentum of the rumor mill going, to generate as much interest and hype as possible, and then they will make their big announcement. First the film itself will be announced, and then later, after a few more months of hype builds, they will announce the new Indy actor. Once that happens, there will be a massive hype campaign where they tease the costume, and then finally they will do a big reveal of the new actor in costume, probably a year or so out from the release of the film itself. This is how the modern movie internet hype machine works these days, and Disney is no slouch about this. They know exactly how to get the most out of this system of marketing.

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
I hope you understand my humor.
Couldn't find one with pigeons?

A fair warning to the Ford fetishists... if... no, when the film is announced and the new lead along with it, I'll be back quoting the living daylights out of these posts.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Lambonius said:
Yo...Disney is no slouch about this. They know exactly how to get the most out of this system of marketing.

Get out of here, Disney? A Marketing Machine?
tumblr_lzt071G1Gl1ql8i93o4_250.gif

chuckle...