Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #26
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennihana123
This.... was disappointing to say the least. Of the four Indy novels I've read (Hollow Earth, Philosopher's Stone, Genesis Deluge, and this), the two by MacGregor haven't really felt like an Indy adventure. I'm still trying to collect and read them all, though, so maybe they'll get better. Looking forward to the other two by Max McCoy

It isn't the best of MacGregor's Indy novels, I liked "Dance of the Giants" better as well as "the Seven Veils" although that one got a little too wacky by the second half of the book.

You are correct though, Max Mccoy was the best Indy author. Some of MacGregor's books were pretty good but on the whole Mccoy's felt the most like the movies, and they were set closer in time period to the movies as well so that helped.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #27
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I havent read this book since it first came out, 92maybe? I think I need to dig these books out and give them another read, its been so long that I've forgotten what they were like.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #28
Crack that whip
IndyFan

It appears a lot of people here are randomly jumping around from one to another. I definitely recommend that if one's going to read any of these at all, one do so in order, since there are threads of continuity and character progressions and so on that go from one book to the next (even between authors, though mostly within any given author's run). They're more interconnected than the movies.

For those unaware, the order goes like this:

Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi
Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants
Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils
Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge
Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy
Indiana Jones and the Interior World
Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates
Indiana Jones and the White Witch
Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone
Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs
Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth
Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #29
bennihana123
IndyFan

Is Sky Pirates and White Witch generally considered the two worst? They sound pretty ridiculous. And I have been reading them out of order, but I think they wrote them so they could stand alone and one could still understand what was happening.
bennihana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #30
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennihana123
Is Sky Pirates and White Witch generally considered the two worst? They sound pretty ridiculous. And I have been reading them out of order, but I think they wrote them so they could stand alone and one could still understand what was happening.

Just wait till you read Caidin's two books, it will make the refridgerator and tarzan scene from KotKS seem less ridiculous.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #31
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
Just wait till you read Caidin's two books, it will make the refridgerator and tarzan scene from KotKS seem less ridiculous.
I struggled with the novel that had a parallel world you could enter, I think it was the Interior World?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Yes, I think Sky Pirates and White Witch (the two by Martin Caidin) are widely regarded as the least good of the novels; most Indy fans familiar with the novels in general are probably glad Caidin did only two of them.

I must say, it's been an awfully long time since I read any of the '90s Bantam novels. I should reread them soon...
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #33
VP
Moderator Emeritus

The good ones:
  • Peril at Delphi
  • Dance of the Giants
  • Seven Veils
  • Genesis Deluge
  • Philosopher's Stone
  • Dinosaur Eggs
  • Hollow Earth
  • Secret of the Sphinx
The bad ones:
  • Unicorn's Legacy
  • Interior World
  • Sky Pirates
  • White Witch
  • Army of the Dead
The upcoming Fate of Atlantis is great so far, check it out at http://newsradiofanfic.angelfire.com/Atlantis.html
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #34
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP
The good ones:
  • Peril at Delphi
  • Dance of the Giants
  • Seven Veils
  • Genesis Deluge
  • Philosopher's Stone
  • Dinosaur Eggs
  • Hollow Earth
  • Secret of the Sphinx
The bad ones:
  • Unicorn's Legacy
  • Interior World
  • Sky Pirates
  • White Witch
  • Army of the Dead
The upcoming Fate of Atlantis is great so far, check it out at http://newsradiofanfic.angelfire.com/Atlantis.html

I would agree with your take on the Indy novels. Seven Veils I would sort of put in the middle. Awsome first half, weak second half. Got way to over the top as well.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #35
jeff2178
IndyFan

I just finished reading Peril at Delphi..

For my first Indy novel it wasn't bad....

See, I always pictured Sean Patrick Flannery in this book, because it takes place in 1922, two years after the YIJ show, so that was easy for me. I can't see this as a show or movie, but it was a good start for him.

I also didn't like how it was switching to different POVs, it should have stayed with Indy. I just go into the Dance of the Giants and it's pretty good so far...

I give Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi

out of 5
jeff2178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #36
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
I've recently started reading through the whole 'series'. I'm on Genesis Deluge now.
I enjoyed Peril at Delphi. We see Indy young and naive regarding his own professor. I think the book done a great job showing his inexperience with love and lust.
The adventure itself was okay. I think the book played out more like a sleuth novel instead of an action/adventure one.

I'd give it a 8/10
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #37
punisher5150
IndyFan

MacGregor and Indy

You know, I am going to get a lot of slack for this, but I always thought MacGregor's books never lived up to their potential. I always felt they were decent, but just not quite good enough. Then Caiden almost destroyed the series with his two novels. When McCoy took over, I finally felt like someone had captured the feel of Indy and written some pretty good adventures as well. McCoy's weren't perfect, but IMO they were the best of the Indy novels and came pretty close. the only gripe I have about his was a rather forced sequence in Philosopher's Stone where Indy bullwhipped a balloon to catch a ride, and Secret of the Sphinx, which had some major editing problems due to a last minute removal of a time travel plotline. Other than that, Great series. I wish McCoy would return to Indy, but I would be happy with a new MacGregor Indy novel set in the 30s or 40s. I won't even mention the dreck that was Army of the Dead, which I could not even finish.
punisher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #38
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
I have never even read the Max McCoy titles yet. I have read that his books are some of the best, but I can't cast my opinion yet (even though I have had them for a few years). I hope that I am in for some good adventures that span beyond the movies?
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #39
Lao_Che
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I have never even read the Max McCoy titles yet. I have read that his books are some of the best, but I can't cast my opinion yet (even though I have had them for a few years). I hope that I am in for some good adventures that span beyond the movies?

In what way? McCoy's novels can be said to be the ones that lean on the movies' conventions the most, but MacGregor's the guy for Indy's character development.
Lao_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #40
punisher5150
IndyFan

MacGragor/McCoy

Lao Che is correct. MacGregor's books did develop the character, sort of in tandem with the Young Indiana Jones series (although I don't recall one ever really borrowing from the other). I was disappointed MacGs were set in the 20s vs 30s like McCoys. I figured Lucasfilm wanted to keep the Indy Expanded Universe grounded in Young Indy era at the time. MacG did a good job of introducing us to some memorable characters, although I felt like the whole Deidre/marriage thing was forced and never really went anywhere.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #41
Lao_Che
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5150
I figured Lucasfilm wanted to keep the Indy Expanded Universe grounded in Young Indy era at the time.

The adult and Young Indy novels were given the pre-movie era and the comics and German books were given the time after(ish) if I'm remembering interview comments right.
Lao_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:01 AM   #42
StoneTriple
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I have never even read the Max McCoy titles yet. I have read that his books are some of the best.....I hope that I am in for some good adventures that span beyond the movies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao_Che
In what way? McCoy's novels can be said to be the ones that lean on the movies' conventions the most, but MacGregor's the guy for Indy's character development.

When I first read the novels, I also thought (as seems to be the consensus around here) that the McCoy books best represented Indy as we've always known him.

However, I've been reading them again this year and now find myself enjoying the MacGregor books more. They seem to be more about story & character and less like an Indiana Jones Movie Novelization.

I like both a great deal, but I suppose it's whatever I'm in the mood for. If I want to read an Indiana Jones movie, I'll go for the McCoy books. If I want a more cerebral Indiana Jones story, I'll go for the MacGregor books.

These days, I prefer the stories.
StoneTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #43
punisher5150
IndyFan

German Indy books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao_Che
The adult and Young Indy novels were given the pre-movie era and the comics and German books were given the time after(ish) if I'm remembering interview comments right.

I read at one time the German Indy books were never licensed by Lucasfilm. That could be why they treaded in the territory after Temple and Raiders.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #44
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I decided to start reading the books in order again, starting obviously with this one. I haven't read this since I bought it when it first came out. This last 20+ years have flown by!

I can remember being disappointed with this when I first read it back then. Those feelings are still there now. It doesn't seem to flow quickly and some of the descriptions of the settings, especially in Greece I struggled to picture in my mind. The positive is that I think the books got better in the main after this one.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #45
Stoo
IndyFan

This book is actually a pet favourite of mine from the Bantam series, mainly because its subject matter, the Oracle of Delphi, has always intrigued me. Nostalgia is also a factor since it was the 1st new Indiana Jones story (in English) after the movies, Marvel comics & Find Your Fate books, as well as the 1st peek at a much younger Indy.

Sure, the story is a bit slow but it picks up at the end and I like how Indy has the hots for his teacher. I also LOVE the cover! Struzan managed to capture the likeness of a youthful Harrison Ford.

After the TV show came out, I read the novel again and enjoyed it even more, although I couldn't help picturing Sean Patrick Flanery instead of Ford. Anyway, I like this book and it's the one that I've read the most (3 times).
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote