General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

RedeemedChild

Ajax the Great said:
So you've completely changed your mind on Michael Bay and Transformers?? Because you have praised him and both Transformers movies in previous threads.

Well now I haven't actually praised him. I mean, he did he have a good idea when it came to the first Transformers movie. The allspark, the map on Sam's relatives eye glasses, the way in which he found Bumblebee and the whole scenario with Optimus Prime showing Sam the origins of the Allspark in the holographic image he creates in the pavement.

However, it simply can't be denied. All of Bay's good idea's ARE far OUTNUMBERED by his horrible execution of creating a movie. I mean Cameron, Spielberg, George Lucas and Jerry Bruckheimer make Michael Bay look like he should not even been in the movie business.

I never said I was a fan of Bay Ajax nor will I ever be. I was just pointing out what was good about the first Transformers movie and that it all. Nothing more or less.

Now concering Indiana Jones V; I think that this time Indiana Jones does not need all the assistance he had in Crystal Skull.

In Kingdom of the Crystal Skull there was Mutt, then Marion, the the guy who was supposed to be his friend but then later betrayed him and there was the professor who seemed to be a bit mentally unstable. I think that this time it should be only Mutt and Indiana Jones as this film should focus keenly on Indiana Jones as I'm sure this will be the last Indiana Jones movie ever produced with Harrison Ford.

Ajax the Great

Stoo said:
While I agree with you on that, please take note: Child is hypocritical, delusional and by his own admission, naturally subject to hallucinations.:eek:

Re: Indy V. Instead of Rocket's idea of Indy killing Mutt by mistake, how about Mutt being responsible for the slash in Indy's face!:dead::whip:

Point noted. I think on the previous page I actually proposed that he was hallucinating and recommended medical attention.

Having Mutt or Indy injure each other would open the door for melodrama. I'd rather not see anything like that.

I really don't want Mutt in Indy V - not because I'm a Shia-hater, but because I can't see a clear motivation for his presence on an adventure. They really backed themselves into a corner by creating that character - they're going to feel obligated to include him because he has such a strong personal connection to Indy.

But the entourage factor was poorly handled in CS, and it's not something I want to see resurface. Let Indy go this one alone, or with sidekicks like Sallah who have a believable reason for being in the story.

Indy was always a free man, which made it very easy for us to believe that he could simply pack up and go around the world and do whatever. Now he's got roots and familial responsibilities.

So send Mutt off to school or 'Nam. Get him out of the way.

RedeemedChild

Ajax the Great said:
. . .I really don't want Mutt in Indy V - not because I'm a Shia-hater, but because I can't see a clear motivation for his presence on an adventure. They really backed themselves into a corner by creating that character - they're going to feel obligated to include him because he has such a strong personal connection to Indy.

But the entourage factor was poorly handled in CS. . .

Indy was always a free man, which made it very easy for us to believe that he could simply pack up and go around the world and do whatever. Now he's got roots and familial responsibilities. . .

True. They never should have created Mutt. However, that was yet another one of George Lucas's attempts at trying make Indiana Jones appeal to a new, younger generation as Indiana Jones is not the type of thing that the youth of today seem to have an interest in.

I really was disappointed with the "entourage" situation in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I hope that it will not be included in the fifth film. I mean, having the lady, Short Round and Indy in Temple of Doom was nice but to have the whole slew of people aiding Indiana Jones in Crystal Skull was a bit overkill.

I wonder if a story plot in which Indiana Jones investiagates an old forsaken Castle or royal palace of a long forgotten king that is thought to be haunted, perhaps near the Black Forest in Germany and he must return a MacGuffin that was stolen from this palace or castle tomb due to strange, paranormal events which are wreaking havoc on the village on account of the stolen artifact and Indiana Jones is called upon to return the stolen artifact to it's rightful (dead) owner so that these harmful events do not bring destruction down upon the heads of the innocent citizens.

There could be mummies running amock in the streets of the town, on the night of a full moon a Were moon bunny appears beating the drums of doom. Villagers are unable to sleep due to their cottages being rattled by a mysterious wind at night. Candles are blown out when lit, books fly across the room and owls invade the town in the twilight of morning. As you can see it would be fitting to release a movie with this plot in October.

Ajax the Great

RedeemedChild said:
True. They never should have created Mutt. However, that was yet another one of George Lucas's attempts at trying make Indiana Jones appeal to a new, younger generation as Indiana Jones is not the type of thing that the youth of today seem to have an interest in.

I really was disappointed with the "entourage" situation in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I hope that it will not be included in the fifth film. I mean, having the lady, Short Round and Indy in Temple of Doom was nice but to have the whole slew of people aiding Indiana Jones in Crystal Skull was a bit overkill.

I wonder if a story plot in which Indiana Jones investiagates an old forsaken Castle or royal palace of a long forgotten king that is thought to be haunted, perhaps near the Black Forest in Germany and he must return a MacGuffin that was stolen from this palace or castle tomb due to strange, paranormal events which are wreaking havoc on the village on account of the stolen artifact and Indiana Jones is called upon to return the stolen artifact to it's rightful (dead) owner so that these harmful events do not bring destruction down upon the heads of the innocent citizens.

There could be mummies running amock in the streets of the town, on the night of a full moon a Were moon bunny appears beating the drums of doom. Villagers are unable to sleep due to their cottages being rattled by a mysterious wind at night. Candles are blown out when lit, books fly across the room and owls invade the town in the twilight of morning. As you can see it would be fitting to release a movie with this plot in October.

I like the mystery elements of your proposal, but I think the motivation would have to be changed. Indy is no do-gooder. His initial motivations are almost always driven by ambitions for "fortune and glory." It's not like he's a hero for hire to solve people's problems.

I think that your idea is a little too Halloween inspired. Generally, the supernatural stuff doesn't start until the very end of each movie, as a grand finale that contrasts with Indy's academic skepticism.

And Indy belongs on Memorial Day. That's just his home - a big, start of the summer, blockbuster.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Thank you for pointing that out, Matt. At least some people still have a grasp on things!;)

Why thank you, Stoo, I look to esteemed members of these boards/asylum wards, such as yourself, to keep me sane!

Stoo said:
On topic: Indy V...RUSSIAN AERO SLED CHASE!

Yes! A favourite of Sven Hassel, and perfect for Indy. I really do want to see Indy out in a snowy wilderness for his next outing.

Stoo said:
Re: Indy V. Instead of Rocket's idea of Indy killing Mutt by mistake, how about Mutt being responsible for the slash in Indy's face!

A fencing injury? Yes, I can see how it all fits together. But would it be accidental... or intentional...?

RedeemedChild

Ajax the Great said:
I like the mystery elements of your proposal, but I think the motivation would have to be changed. Indy is no do-gooder. His initial motivations are almost always driven by ambitions for "fortune and glory." It's not like he's a hero for hire to solve people's problems.

That is true. I guess forgot that aspect of Indiana's personality.

However, I think that because of his "It belongs in a museum" and the fact that he went back to save the children in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom that those elements might be used to in such a plot. Not that we'd be trying to make him out to be a hero for hire but we'd be tapping into that human element of concern that might be hidden within him. I mean that side of his personality was revealed perfectly in Temple of Doom.

Ajax the Great said:
I think that your idea is a little too Halloween inspired. Generally, the supernatural stuff doesn't start until the very end of each movie, as a grand finale that contrasts with Indy's academic skepticism.

That is also very true. I guess that would to be reworked so that it could all fit toward the end of the film. I guess we'd have to build up on suspence and mystery at the beginning that would lead to a steady build of expectation toward the end of the film for something climatic to transpire.

Ajax the Great said:
And Indy belongs on Memorial Day. That's just his home - a big, start of the summer, blockbuster.

Yes, Indiana Jones is perfect for the start of the summer blockbusters.

Dr Bones

No more pastiche or Indy nostalgia...

No reboot or too "gritty" reincarnation.

Nothing too fantastical...nothing too heavy or introspective.

No political or social agenda.

I don't want to see him pass on the fed or lose the eye or get killed.

I think the scar/eye loss would be a mistake for film purposes but gave cheap sense of danger to what appeared to be a frail old man. Don't think George and Steven seriously thought they'd be doing more Indy films so late in the game and so George fooled around with YIJC. The series has dated faster than the movies and really shouldn't be brought too much into any new Indy ventures. I am not a massive fan of the series..I found it often too corny and I hated that old fart.

I just want to see Indy, going after fortune and glory and ending up the reluctant hero again.

After MGM's recent troubles and Bond's indefinite hiatus, are other films and studios and more importantly Indy 5 at risk?

Indy's brother

Dr Bones said:
After MGM's recent troubles and Bond's indefinite hiatus, are other films and studios and more importantly Indy 5 at risk?

I would like to think that Indy's/Ford's status as a move icon shields him from this kind of danger. On top of that, proven money-making heavies like GL and SS, helming the project provide even more protective padding. Honestly, the only obstacle I see is the wait for GL to commit to the next artifact & general plot enough to hire a writer to turn it into a cohesive script....aaaaand we're still waiting.

*kicks the dirt*

*checks his watch*

Of course, it's impossible to know much of anything from where we sit. Once a writer is hired I think we'll all know about it, and Indy 5 will be more of a sure thing.

The lull in news is killing me!!!!

RedeemedChild

Indy's brother said:
I would like to think that Indy's/Ford's status as a move icon shields him from this kind of danger. On top of that, proven money-making heavies like GL and SS, helming the project provide even more protective padding. Honestly, the only obstacle I see is the wait for GL to commit to the next artifact & general plot enough to hire a writer to turn it into a cohesive script....aaaaand we're still waiting.

*kicks the dirt*

*checks his watch*

Of course, it's impossible to know much of anything from where we sit. Once a writer is hired I think we'll all know about it, and Indy 5 will be more of a sure thing.

The lull in news is killing me!!!!

I agree with you Indy's brother. The lull in news is really making my heart sink and the fact that Harrison Ford is aging every day simply makes me even more uncomfortable. What really disturbs me is how George Lucas simply puts Indiana Jones on the back burner as if didn't matter. Lucas has acknowledged not showing Indiana Jones the same care with which he showers Star Wars. Star Wars is more the favorite child of George Lucas than is Indiana Jones.

George Lucas said that "Star Wars is a sandbox I love to play in." Lucas has said that Star Wars gives him a lot more freedom than does Indiana Jones and he has said that Star Wars reaps far more rewards than Indiana Jones.

So when it comes to the future of Indiana Jones vs. Star Wars it seems very clear that Star Wars has an ever increasingly brighter and hopeful horizon while Indiana Jones always seems to be running from that ever unshakable boulder that is constantly tumbling ever so closer to Dr. Jones. Pity. What a pity.

boulder-dash.jpg

Lambonius

Personally, I will be glad when the Indy license finally passes to someone else and we aren't constantly left to the whims of the ever-fickle and Star Wars-centric Lucas. By then, of course, Harrison will be out of the picture, but I'm one of those who would welcome an eventual reboot of the series. Hopefully when Lucas kicks the bucket the license will be made available to filmmakers who hold Indy movies in much higher regard than just those "fun side projects I make when I'm not concentrating on other things," which is all the franchise seems to mean to Lucas (and Spielberg for that matter.)

Montana Smith

Dr Bones said:
No more pastiche or Indy nostalgia...

I think that may be unavoidable. TOD had the empty holster. LC had the Ark painting in the catacombs. KOTCS had the actual Ark. It looks like the thing George and Spielberg like to do - self-referentiality, which does keep the stories linked.

Dr Bones said:
No reboot or too "gritty" reincarnation.

A reboot is hard to imagine, and may inflict more harm than good. Yet, as I've written before, I'm prepared to be proved wrong. With the right actor, and the right approach, I might be able to see beyond my tunnel vision that Harrison = adult Indy.

Dr Bones said:
Nothing too fantastical...nothing too heavy or introspective.

This is a fine line, and an easy one to cross and get really wrong. The expanded universe novels seem to be more fantastical than the movies. KOTCS has set a precedent for the alien or ancient creature.

There is no way that I would want to see a full-blown Earth vs the Aliens. No way at all.

If Indy has to face previously unknown creatures, it should be somewhere wild, away from the general public. I'd love to see an Indy movie partly set in forested, snowy Maine. Creepy Stephen King/John Connolly territory, with Indy facing a bunch of cultists. Real mystery and intrigue, as scary and as creepy as you can go with a "12" rating. Strange creatures brought from that other dimension by the cultists.

The other part of the movie can be in Siberia so Stoo can have his Aero-Sled scenes!

Dr Bones said:
No political or social agenda.

I agree. The emphasis should be on Indy's investigation, not the swinging '60s and its politics.

Dr Bones said:
I don't want to see him pass on the fed or lose the eye or get killed.

No passing the hat or losing the eye until at least Indy VI.

Dr Bones said:

I agree with Indy's brother that with GL and SS Indy should be more secure than Bond. The Bond franchise got stale, and new life was breathed into it by Craig's reboot. But these movies are just too frequent - it's like, "oh there's another Bond movie out." The frequency has been too predictable, unlike Indy which has frustrated us with unpredictability!

RedeemedChild

Lambonius said:
Personally, I will be glad when the Indy license finally passes to someone else. . .I'm one of those who would welcome an eventual reboot of the series. Hopefully . . .the license will be made available to filmmakers who hold Indy movies in much higher regard . . .

I could not agree more. I'd love to see Indiana Jones handed over to Jon Turteltaub, Jerry Bruckheimer, Mike Newell, Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot. After seeing what spectacular work they've done with National Treasure, Pirates of the Caribbean, Aladdin and Prince of Persia there is no question they are the right men for the job when it comes to breating new life into Indiana Jones. It is quite obvious they've got "the right stuff."

It is quite obvious that George Lucas considers Indiana Jones of lesser value than he does Star Wars and the reason that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was so far off course is because of the fact that Mr. Lucas looks at Indy as a "side project." It seemed to me that Agent Spalko was a call out to Darth Vader and the mysterious properties of the Crystal Skull was a nod to the power of the Force while Indiana Jones escaping in a refrigerator was a pure reference to the Escape Pods of Star Wars.

Jon Turteltaub, Jerry Bruckheimer, Mike Newell, Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot can certainly revive Indiana Jones just as J.J. Abrams has Star Trek. I think it is high time for Indiana Jones to find a saving grace.

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
The other part of the movie can be in Siberia so Stoo can have his Aero-Sled scenes!

That would be so f*****g awesome. The whole Aero-sled idea fits so well that it would be kind of hard to make it fail on screen. Seriously, they would have to actually try (HARD) to make that suck. And even then, THEY ARE STILL F*****G AERO-SLEDS.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
That would be so f*****g awesome. The whole Aero-sled idea fits so well that it would be kind of hard to make it fail on screen. Seriously, they would have to actually try (HARD) to make that suck. And even then, THEY ARE STILL F*****G AERO-SLEDS.

So you like aero-sleds, then? ;)

As soon as Stoo wrote it, I thought of Sven Hassel.

Here are a couple of pages with some good photos:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?89982-ww2-armored-aero-snowmobile

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=12249

sani4.jpg

sani8.jpg

Ajax the Great

RedeemedChild said:
The lull in news is really making my heart sink and the fact that Harrison Ford is aging every day simply makes me even more uncomfortable.

People generally age each day - why should that make you uncomfortable?

Star Wars brings in the big bucks because there's a whole universe beyond the films. That's why George cares about it - it's made most of his fortune.

RedeemedChild said:
Jon Turteltaub, Jerry Bruckheimer, Mike Newell, Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot can certainly revive Indiana Jones just as J.J. Abrams has Star Trek. I think it is high time for Indiana Jones to find a saving grace.

Let's leave all of those people off the short list; they've had a few good ones and a lot of really terrible ones. What you need is a pre-Schindler's List Spielberg, and I can't think of anybody that makes pictures like that nowadays. J.J. Abrams is probably a decent choice.

Montana Smith

RedeemedChild said:
It is quite obvious that George Lucas considers Indiana Jones of lesser value than he does Star Wars

All of George's children are equal, though some are more equal than others.

He reserves a very special place for Indy, and only brings him out for special occasions.

Indy's brother said:
You bet I do. I've been looking for that pic somebody made of Indy on a horse being chased by aero sleds. but I think it may be gone now...

Somewhere in cyber space Indy's probably still being chased by that sled. I'd like to see that. The hunt is on!

RedeemedChild

Ajax the Great said:
People generally age each day - why should that make you uncomfortable?

Star Wars brings in the big bucks because there's a whole universe beyond the films. That's why George cares about it - it's made most of his fortune.

Let's leave all of those people off the short list; they've had a few good ones and a lot of really terrible ones. What you need is a pre-Schindler's List Spielberg, and I can't think of anybody that makes pictures like that nowadays. J.J. Abrams is probably a decent choice.

Well I don't want to see J.J. Abrams handle Indiana Jones. I'd prefer for him to stay with LOST, Star Trek and Fringe. The problem is that J.J. Abrams is to sci-fi oriented. I read an article with him in nVIDIA magazine (the one with FF XIV on the cover) and he said how everything he does bares the mark of The X-Files and The Twilight Zone because that's what a grew up watching along with Star Wars. Abrams went on to say that his productions will now also be influenced by Cameron's Avatar. So no, not J.J. Abrams.

It is my desire that Indiana Jones be given to Mike Newell, Jerry Bruckheimer, Ted Elliot and Guillermo Del Toro as opposed to J.J. Abrams now that we know they are the "right men" with the "right stuff" for Indy's world. They've proven that with National Treasure, Pirates of the Caribbean and now the magnificent Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets even pays homage to Raiders of the Lost Ark when Riley sees the little golden idol and makes a remark about it that is a straight reference to Indiana Jones. It was something along the lines of "oh, a little golden man."

Seriously, Bruckheimer and company are perfect for taking Indiana Jones back to his glory days.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
So you like aero-sleds, then? ;)

As soon as Stoo wrote it, I thought of Sven Hassel.

Here are a couple of pages with some good photos:
Yes, we were all over this idea last year. I made a colour image of an imagined chase using that very photo (the top one) and *if* the fan animation project ever gets back up to speed, an aero-sled scene will be included.

Thanks for the name-drop of Sven Hassel. Never heard of him before and just looked him up.
Indy's brother said:
You bet I do. I've been looking for that pic somebody made of Indy on a horse being chased by aero sleds. but I think it may be gone now...
It's in your own thread!:) You're thinking of IndyFan4Ever's version but I still like mine better.;)

Idea for a snow-bound "Indy 5"

P.S. I just checked and IndyFan4Ever's version with the horse is not there anymore. (I think it was also in the fan animation thread.)
P.P.S. Thanks, Moedred!