Looking for Indy's Jacket, Or Something Like It

eazybox

ResidentAlien said:
Good to hear... I'm actually putting serious thought into getting one myself. They're so affordable and they look so very nice. I never had any intention of getting one but looking at the standards and hearing all the praise placed upon them, I'm starting to reconsider.

I was expecting to have at least a couple of problems but was amazed at how well it fit me. If you normally take off the rack sizes, you'll probably be OK.

Jack

eazybox said:
I was expecting to have at least a couple of problems but was amazed at how well it fit me. If you normally take off the rack sizes, you'll probably be OK.

Jack

I tend to have some trouble (I'm a really small guy)... so I may not. My Levi Denim is an XS... though it fits really snug. So I may be able to get away with a small on this. Going to get some measurements this weekend.

deckard24

Jack(EazyBox) what are your normal jacket measurements if you don't mind me asking, and what size Todd's did you get?

yeah i got one from my local op shop. while it ain't very authentic and looks crap i still like it coz it's got that worn quality about it. if you get a new leather jacket you can't care about cutting it up to get the correct indy look. you got to take a stanley knife to it like they did in raiders and grind it into the mud. (y)

eazybox

deckard24 said:
Jack(EazyBox) what are your normal jacket measurements if you don't mind me asking, and what size Todd's did you get?

I took the Large. My chest measurement is 43" and my arm measurement is 23 1/2" from tip of shoulder to wrist, arm held straight. My neck to hip measurement is 24 1/2".

The 33 1/2" sleeve dimension on Todd's website is the way they measure dress shirts-- from the middle of the back of the neck, across the shoulder, and down the arm to the wrist. It fits me perfectly.

The sizing is snug-- as Indy wears his. If you prefer a roomier fit or if you are not sure, Todd recommends ordering a size up.

Regards,
Jack

Last edited:

deckard24

Thanks Jack!

If I buy a jacket off the shelf I usually grab a medium, but I'll get a measuring tape and get my numbers straight first before ordering. I like to be able to wear a sweater or a thermal underneath my jacket during the colder months, so I definitely don't want a super tight fit. Then again I don't want it to look like a baggy varsity jacket either, lol.

On another note, I wonder how long these jackets will last at this price? That's a pretty good deal, especially considering how great everyones reviews are.

Lastly, I've seen the color pics on the website, but Jack would you describe your jacket as lighter in tone? Todd's doesn't seem to have that dark Raiders look to it, but more of a caramel colored patina. Maybe the jackets vary?

eazybox

deckard24 said:
Thanks Jack!

If I buy a jacket off the shelf I usually grab a medium, but I'll get a measuring tape and get my numbers straight first before ordering. I like to be able to wear a sweater or a thermal underneath my jacket during the colder months, so I definitely don't want a super tight fit. Then again I don't want it to look like a baggy varsity jacket either, lol.

On another note, I wonder how long these jackets will last at this price? That's a pretty good deal, especially considering how great everyones reviews are.

Lastly, I've seen the color pics on the website, but Jack would you describe your jacket as lighter in tone? Todd's doesn't seem to have that dark Raiders look to it, but more of a caramel colored patina. Maybe the jackets vary?

The great thing about this jacket, as others have said, is that when you put it on, it just looks so "right." There's just something about a Todd's in the cut and drape that screams "Indy!" like no other jacket.

With every other Indy jacket I've had, I never experienced this immediate "rightness." It was more like, "Well, maybe after it's broken in, or maybe if I take some sandpaper to it, it will look better." But they never did look better. I never thought I'd say this, but my old Wested has now become my "good enough" kick-around jacket!

Only time will tell about the durability. As to the color, mine seems to have a very subtle worn look built into it which might explain why it appears lighter in some photos; to my eyes, it's about the same shade as my Wested-- not "caramel" at all. It's also not quite as shiny as most new leather jackets.

Finally, I didn't mean to mislead you about the fit-- it's not "super-tight" by any means. It's just comfortably snug. But if you are going to wear sweaters underneath, yes, it probably would become too tight. Also, if it doesn't fit right, you just send it back at no charge for exchange or refund. Todd really stands behind his stuff and cares about your satisfaction. That was my experience, anyway.

Jack

eazybox

COW has announced that the maker of the jackets for Indy 4 is Tony Nowak (tonynowak.com). They'll be available for sale when the movie is released.

Jack

IndyFalco

I just got my TODD's a week ago,
It is AWESOME !!! They are made very well, and you wouldnt believe how light they are.

Go with it, it's a great buy

Deckard

Your rly best on your own here. Theres so many differant Jackets and Jacket colors used in one movie alone, theres not rly a correct answer to your question.

Katarn07

IndyFalco said:
They are made very well, and you wouldnt believe how light they are.

Yes, they are very well made. It looks and fits great. And no, you won't believe how light they are. Here's my description: shower curtain. I suppose it's a great jacket if you're in a warmer climate, but I'd be better off in just a hooded sweatshirt I think in Chicago's winters! I sent mine back to Todd's tonight for a refund. They're customer service is top notch, by the way. It sucks I'm out $25 for the shipping fees, but I'm glad I'll get refunded so quickly.

So the quest for an Indy jacket continues. I want something that can be worn as an everyday winter jacket. Does such a jacket exist or am I wasting my time? I wear my current leather jacket exclusively in the winter. Not sure what kind of leather it is (I got it at Target on sale for around $110) and the lining is 100% polyester. I wear hooded sweatshirts beneath it when the temperatures are really low and would expect to do the same with a new jacket.

Last edited:

eazybox

When you first remove Todd's Standard from the box, the effect can be disconcerting; I think Todd describes this as a "pancake" effect" that occurs from the jacket being stocked & shipped in a flat, compressed state.

This is only a temporary condition, though; Todd said the more I wore it the more it would fill out and retain a normal shape, and he was right. Before Todd came along with his Standard, I thought having a screen accurate Indy jacket for a price within everyone's reach was an impossible dream. It no longer is.

I don't know what the average thickness of shower curtains is, but mine is way thinner than this jacket. It's more accurate to describe it as having the thickness of a windbreaker. And keep in mind that it's a Raiders replica, and not really that much thinner than the screen used jackets for that movie.

For a $150 jacket that you can hardly tell apart in photos from Todd's $500 custom version, the Standard is one heck of a good deal, in my opinion.

Jack

eazybox

Katarn07 said:
Yes, they are very well made. It looks and fits great. And no, you won't believe how light they are. Here's my description: shower curtain. I suppose it's a great jacket if you're in a warmer climate, but I'd be better off in just a hooded sweatshirt I think in Chicago's winters! I sent mine back to Todd's tonight for a refund. They're customer service is top notch, by the way. It sucks I'm out $25 for the shipping fees, but I'm glad I'll get refunded so quickly.

So the quest for an Indy jacket continues. I want something that can be worn as an everyday winter jacket. Does such a jacket exist or am I wasting my time? I wear my current leather jacket exclusively in the winter. Not sure what kind of leather it is (I got it at Target on sale for around $110) and the lining is 100% polyester. I wear hooded sweatshirts beneath it when the temperatures are really low and would expect to do the same with a new jacket.

Magnoliclothiers.com offers an Indy-style winter jacket with a thick shearling lining & collar, but it costs $795. None of the more screen accurate jackets would be suitable for Chicago winters, IMO.

Jack

Katarn07

Yeah, I'm probably exaggerating by equating it with a shower curtain, but such an extreme description should help others prepare how thin of a jacket it really is. No descriptions I saw could prepare me for it. It's not just how thin it is, it's also that the leather jacket I have isn't as smooth or flexible. This thing felt like vinyl to me, not leather. I guess some like that; I didn't.

What about US Wings? I've read the cowhide is a warm jacket. Sizing and customer service isn't held in the highest regard (although neither is Wested according to both your personal experience and some stuff I've read at COW). It's pricier than Wested but far cheaper than Magnoli.

eazybox

Katarn07 said:
Yeah, I'm probably exaggerating by equating it with a shower curtain, but such an extreme description should help others prepare how thin of a jacket it really is. No descriptions I saw could prepare me for it. It's not just how thin it is, it's also that the leather jacket I have isn't as smooth or flexible. This thing felt like vinyl to me, not leather. I guess some like that; I didn't.

What about US Wings? I've read the cowhide is a warm jacket. Sizing and customer service isn't held in the highest regard (although neither is Wested according to both your personal experience and some stuff I've read at COW). It's pricier than Wested but far cheaper than Magnoli.

US Wings supplied the jackets for TOD when they were called Cooper Sportswear. Yes, from what I''ve heard they make very good jackets, although the patterns may not be quite screen accurate anymore. Their vintage cowhide would probably be your best choice, but I'm still doubtful it could keep you warm in harsh winter weather. You could layer it as you mentioned, though.

Jack